S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6/S7 Judder/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S6/S7 Judder/Vibration

I'm posting this in both the S6 and S7 forums since the cars share drive train components.

I'm a new owner of a 2013 CPO S7 with about 16k mi on it. I've owned the car for about a month.

I've noticed that if I'm crusing at high way speeds 65 mph and i floor it or accelarate agressively there is abit of vibration that seems to come from the engine through the steering column as the clutch engages. It's almost an elastic feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue, whether its just a quirk of the DCG transmission, or maybe related to the 4-8 cylinder conversion? Could it be an issue with the engine mounts and damping?

I was able to have the throttle lag and the overly aggressive characteristics of s-mode corrected by TSBs, but i'm not sure how to best describe this issue to the dealer. I'm also trying to figure out if this is a known issue/ just live with it thing or unique to my vehicle (ie a problem that can be fixed)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got just over 18k on a '13 S6 that I leased new.

I notice a slight jolt at various times while cruising at highway speeds. In my case, it turned out to be the less-than-smooth transition between 4 and 8 cylinder modes, which I confirmed by watching the realtime MPG bar graph in the display. The jolt correlated perfectly to when the engine re-engaged all 8 cylinders, indicated by the bar turning gray (8 cylinder mode) from being green (4 cylinder mode). I now know to expect it, especially in situations where the cruise control requests more power to maintain the set speed when ascending an overpass. I don't feel the jolt often (or at all, as I think about it) when the engine switches TO 4 cylinder mode, just when it switches FROM it.

Additionally, I recall reading some Audi technical publication that mentioned the car will cycle out of 4 cylinder mode for a brief period every 7(?) minutes to prevent uneven heating/cooling in various engine zones, though I've not watched the display long enough to confirm it. It's also entirely possible that the literature was for another market and not applicable to the U.S.

In any event, I just typed all of this and realized that the description of what you're feeling as a vibration/elastic feeling through the steering column doesn't match what I've described. If this is your first DSG, I suspect what you're feeling is indeed characteristic of the clutches engaging. Perhaps I've become desensitized to it.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your input Ron, i'm not sure exactly what I'm noticing so your reply is very helpful. I will check the mpg graph to determine whether it is indeed occuring during the change over. It's a very minor vibration, but seems to be only when I "punch" it or request a lot of power from a crusing speed. It's helpful to know that others think the change over may be noticiable since most references to it are that it is seamless. I'm thinking what i'm probably experiencing is the transmission grabbing the gear as the engine down shifts agressively to provide more power? It does seem that if i don't floor it but say demand 3/4 of the power it may engage with a smaller less noticable amount of vibration.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never felt anything but a sharp pain when my neck snaps back... smoothest transition from hi gear to a lower gear while mashing the accelerator to the floor of any car I ever owned!