S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Seat causing pain.. can I swap them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat causing pain.. can I swap them?

After driving my CPO 2012 A7 for a few weeks, I've noticed quite a bit of lower back pain when (and after) driving. I researched this and it seems tied to the high side bolsters and narrow seat (I swear, I'm not very big!)

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out just the seat bottom for one that is more comfortable? I don't think the A7 had any seating options, but I've seen mention of comfort seats for the A6.. or will an A8 seat fit?

Any advice is helpful, hate having a car that I like so much create back pain!

It's a Prestige with heated and ventilated black seats if that matters.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BenjaminJames
After driving my CPO 2012 A7 for a few weeks, I've noticed quite a bit of lower back pain when (and after) driving. I researched this and it seems tied to the high side bolsters and narrow seat (I swear, I'm not very big!)

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out just the seat bottom for one that is more comfortable? I don't think the A7 had any seating options, but I've seen mention of comfort seats for the A6.. or will an A8 seat fit?

The seats were one of the main reasons I got rid of my 2012 A7. I had non-prestige though. But same issue, had a lot of back pain from the seats. Try playing around with seat positioning, I remember I found a position that was a little more livable.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BenjaminJames

Of course you could swap it out, anything is possible with $$$ (probably lots of it).

Agree, the seats leave a bit to be desired; I had somewhat the same problem with mine....the comfort seats simply don't provide much support and getting the "right" adjustment combo takes time and many tries. My A7 is gone and have an S6 now with sports seats. I find them much better and don't have the fatigue I had with the A7 after a longish trip.

Good luck!
Z
Old 01-29-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
My A7 is gone and have an S6 now with sports seats. I find them much better and don't have the fatigue I had with the A7 after a longish trip. Z
I'm actually really glad you say that - I was a little worried with the S6 seats. The Porsche Macan probably has one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Was worried that the S6 would be close to what I had in the A7.

In terms of the OP question about swapping - I remember I looked into swapping seats on the A7 to get a 3-seater in the back. It was very very expensive.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Probably cheaper to trade in the car and buy a new one with the Comfort Seats.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's probably cheaper than trading and taking a 10K+ loss, might be to take the car to a good auto interior shop and have them reshape the foam in the seats to fit your special requirements.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my S4 seat causing lower back pain for any extended driving. I posted a similar question on the S4 forum maybe 2 years ago, one respond I received was that the pain that I had indicated that I had a back problem, and the Audi seat somehow aggravated it. At the time I responded back that I did not have the same problem with my BMW 550i's comfort seat, and I believed the Audi's seat was at fault. I received more comments and I found there were some people having problem with BMW's seats but not Audi's, so basically, everybody is different. Although I did not realize it at the time, I did have a lower back problem, it was not severe but it was getting worse. Later on when my back problem became more severe, I went through several chiropractors without getting much better, and I eventually found an aucpucturist who helped me to relax my back muscle, and I have been doing stretch exercises everyday, my back is now feeling much better. And I noticed the Audi's seat does not bother me anymore. I just went on a 5 hour drive and feeling pretty good afterward.

I suspect you may have a similar back problem that I had, your back muscle maybe very tight and you do not know it. It could be difficult, but try to relax your back muscle if you can when driving, and seek help if you need to. I would think improving your back health should be looked into first before you change seat or your car.

Last edited by WENR; 02-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WENR
I had the same problem with my S4 chair causing lower back pain for any extended driving. I posted a similar question on the S4 forum maybe 2 years ago, one respond I received was that the pain that I had indicated that I had a back problem, and the Audi seat somehow aggravated it. At the time I responded back that I did not have the same problem with my BMW 550i's comfort chair, and I believe the Audi's seat was at fault. I received more comments and I found there were some people having problem with BMW's seats but not Audi's. Everybody is different. On the other hand, I did have a lower back problem, it was not severe but bothered me from time to time. I went through several chiropractors without getting much better, and I eventually found an aucpucturist who helped me to relax my back muscle, and I have been doing stretch exercises everyday, my back has been getting much better. And I noticed the Audi's seat does not bother me anymore. I just went on a 5 hour drive and feeling pretty good afterward.

I suspect you may have similar back problem that I had, your back muscle maybe very tight and you do not know it. It could be difficult, but try to relax your back muscle if you can when driving, and seek help if you need to. I would think improving your back health should be looked into first before you change seat or your car.
Thanks! That's some great advice.