S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

RS5 to S6

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 to S6

I've had my RS5 for about a year now, and still love driving it every time I get in it. But, I'm thinking about making the switch to an S6. Has anyone made this transition? I'm worried the S6 may be too big. I love the RS 5 exclusivity. I'd do the RS5, but I'm almost positive its too big. I have 2 kids now, though, and could use the extra space (2 other SUV's in the garage for heavy kid and dog duty). I have a 60 mile round trip commute daily, too, and the RS5 can sometimes get tiring.

Thoughts? I am crazy for considering this?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by knupster
I've had my RS5 for about a year now, and still love driving it every time I get in it. But, I'm thinking about making the switch to an S6. Has anyone made this transition? I'm worried the S6 may be too big. I love the RS 5 exclusivity. I'd do the RS5, but I'm almost positive its too big. I have 2 kids now, though, and could use the extra space (2 other SUV's in the garage for heavy kid and dog duty). I have a 60 mile round trip commute daily, too, and the RS5 can sometimes get tiring.

I meant "I'd do the RS7".
Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm making the jump from an M3 to the S6 this weekend, so I'll let you know what I think after a few days, as it will be a similar transition.

Regarding the RS7, it's the same size (and basically the same car) as the S6. If anything, it's actually smaller on the inside.

I was drawn to the S6 due to its mix of (conservative yet modern) style, performance, luxury and practicality (e.g., AWD). In my opinion, once one desires a car that's large enough to weigh two tons, weighing practicality vs. performance makes particular sense (i.e., the track capabilities of the S6 vs. say the M5 are less relevant to me).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my S6 for just under a year. Amazing driver, smooth but strong low end grunt -- in sport mode it feels like it reacts perfectly to your right foot. Zero delay between input and car's reaction. 4 door practicality but still has good looks. Throaty growl. Last, and the thing that put me over the edge, the diamond quilted seats -- you spend a lot more time looking at the inside of your car than the outside and the S6 is fantastic inside. I've driven the RS5 and had one on order when the dealer received their first S6. Sales person said, "you have to come check this out." Showed up and bought it. Always wonder what the experience would have been living with the RS5.

Downside of S6 vs RS5, downshifts -- S6 downshifts don't inspire like the RS5's, RS5 sportier looks, exhaust sounds when the RPMs are on the high end. That's what I long for when I drive next to an RS5 (maybe we should trade ).

Handling, they're different but I didn't feel a strong preference in either vehicle. Both are AWD middleweights.

Given your commute, the S6 gets 21-22mpg if I take it easy driving 20miles to work. What does the RS get?

In short, both are great and depends on your priorities.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

...forgot to mention. Other advantage of S6 is potential for substantial performance upgrades via ECU tune.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

S6 with tune=11.6 sec 1/4 mile 4400 lb car on street tires. Nuff said.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I have not owned the 5 series in any iteration, I have had several S4s, A6s and now an A8. IMHO, the 6 series is a perfect combo df sport sedan, family hauler, looker, etc. Versatility is the 6 series' middle name. (If Goldie Locks worked for Edmonds, the review would simply be "just right.")
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went from an S5 to an S6..

You're not crazy at all.. The S6 is slightly larger of course, but it's far more practical and still a great looking car (as far as large sedans go). The back seat is actually large enough to sit in, the trunk is larger and the interior is nicer than the A-RS 5. Electronics are far more advanced and the screen itself is much larger, but not overbearing.

You'll probably lose a sense of precision when it comes to the steering and braking, but the engine in the S6 is awesome and the dual clutch transmission manages to retain a sportiness to an otherwise 'under-the-radar' car. Go for it, I plan to keep my S6 for a long time.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Roswell
You're not crazy at all.. The S6 is slightly larger of course, but it's far more practical and still a great looking car (as far as large sedans go). The back seat is actually large enough to sit in, the trunk is larger and the interior is nicer than the A-RS 5. Electronics are far more advanced and the screen itself is much larger, but not overbearing.

You'll probably lose a sense of precision when it comes to the steering and braking, but the engine in the S6 is awesome and the dual clutch transmission manages to retain a sportiness to an otherwise 'under-the-radar' car. Go for it, I plan to keep my S6 for a long time.
How do you like the Phantom Black? I've heard it has a purple tint in the sun?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have Phantom Blk. It has a gunmetal grey look in the sun. I've not noticed a color tint. Panther Blk has the subtle purple tint. Similar to the red tint in the Cherry Blk from the old S8's.

Quick Reply: RS5 to S6