S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Radar detectors and accident avoidance systems

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4

Or don't even bother with anything at all?

My V1 is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm not doing anything about it. It works great, and I don't see much need to upgrade.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My V1 is eligible for an upgrade, but I'm not doing anything about it. It works great, and I don't see much need to upgrade.
Im borderline on that sentiment. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If it works fine, you can keep it as-is. My V1 is circa 2001, so the firmware was a bit outdated. I like the arrows so I decided to upgrade it instead of buying a new one...
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a beltronics STi-R installed unit and neither the side assist nor the ACC cause it to false. The only unit I remember hearing of falsing is the K40 installed units which have a rear mounted sensor. The K40 in my R8 is constantly set off by side assist k-band. As a side note, knowing what I know now, I probably never would have gotten the K40...
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im borderline on that sentiment. Thanks for the quick reply.
I just got my V1 back today from being upgraded. Easily adds 7hp to my car.

For me I wanted 2-band POP coverage. And I will probably also turn on the Traffic Monitor Filter as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So I just checked the serial number on my V1 on the website and it's due for an upgrade. The cost is just over $200 including shipping. Is it worth upgrading the V1?
I know this is likely way too late, but for others in the same boat consider this: I sold my older V1s on Craigslist for more than the upgrade cost delta. In other words, after counting the income from the sale of the old unit, I was able to buy a brand new V1 with the latest features for less money out of pocket than the upgrade would have cost. I was very forthright in my Craigslist ad about my V1s being older versions but given how much they sell for on eBay mine went within days....

I'm happy to hear the Traffic filter works on the Audi assistance systems - it does NOT work on the '14 Acura MDX loaner in my garage Huge bummer there.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sorry for not reporting this information sooner:

When I got my S6, I did not install my Valentine 1 because I have not yet found a suitable location on the front windshield. In my BMW, the detector fit perfectly above the rearview mirror in such a way that the hardwire cable was as short as possible and both driver and passenger sun visors could be lowered fully without obstructing the view of the detector from front or rear.

Unfortunately, the Audi rearview mirror is mounted too high on the windshield for my V1 to fit in the same manner.

Another problem is that there is no cigarette socket to plug into on a temporary basis.

SO I placed the V1 in my wife's car.

A few weeks ago, we were both leaving the house at the same time. She pulled out of the garage first, and as I pulled out she waved me down and said that the V1 was going nuts. I think it must have been my side assist causing the alerts.

My car does not have Active Cruise, or any of the frontal crash detection. Only the side assist warning (blind spots).

I didn't have time to stop the car and check her detector for which band was alerting. Maybe I will test that out one of these days.

Anyway, just wanted to report that my car did seem to cause an alert on a V1.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm sorry for not reporting this information sooner:

When I got my S6, I did not install my Valentine 1 because I have not yet found a suitable location on the front windshield. In my BMW, the detector fit perfectly above the rearview mirror in such a way that the hardwire cable was as short as possible and both driver and passenger sun visors could be lowered fully without obstructing the view of the detector from front or rear.

Unfortunately, the Audi rearview mirror is mounted too high on the windshield for my V1 to fit in the same manner.

Another problem is that there is no cigarette socket to plug into on a temporary basis.

SO I placed the V1 in my wife's car.

A few weeks ago, we were both leaving the house at the same time. She pulled out of the garage first, and as I pulled out she waved me down and said that the V1 was going nuts. I think it must have been my side assist causing the alerts.

My car does not have Active Cruise, or any of the frontal crash detection. Only the side assist warning (blind spots).

I didn't have time to stop the car and check her detector for which band was alerting. Maybe I will test that out one of these days.

Anyway, just wanted to report that my car did seem to cause an alert on a V1.
The side alert uses K band so that was most likely going off. It happened to my wife as well early when she got her Passport Max and I hadn't set it up yet.

The adaptive cruise cruise and presense plus sensors are way up in the W band.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

[QUOTE=subterFUSE;24523721]Unfortunately, the Audi rearview mirror is mounted too high on the windshield for my V1 to fit in the same manner.[quote]

I have my V1 mounted above my rear view mirror on the drivers side just fine...

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
It happened to my wife as well early when she got her Passport Max and I hadn't set it up yet.
I had a Max for a week and I was actually impressed that my Side Assist wasnt setting it off.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have the Traffic Filter enabled on your V1? If so the startup display will go through the letters "P" "o" "P" "t" with the "t" signifying the traffic filter. From earlier reports in this thread that was all that's required for the Audi system. Though in re-reading I do see that EHLO disabled POP altogether on his - I may try that on the Acura just for grins.

I'm really hoping Traffic Filter is sufficient for the S6 - I had to turn that on anyway in order to make my detector useful on I-25 between COS and DEN once CDOT installed those #$%@! sensors for the "You'll be in traffic for 9 years before you hit South Denver" signs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radar detectors and accident avoidance systems