S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

R&T Long Term Drive Notes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think turbo lag indicates a problem with the car. all turbos have a certain amount of lag. some are worse than others. our S6 lag is not very noticable.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
They said theres no turbo lag, different than transmission lag.
The car does not down shift from 3 to 2 fast enough and rolling through a corner and then gassing it will show the problem. Easy solution I discovered on the track, manually downshift to 2 going into the turn with the left paddle (you do not have to be in manual mode to do this either). Boom, no lag out of the turn. You just have to remember to do this if you want the quick response. Careful though, you will burn through tires with all that juice coming out of the turns.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by txgriz
The car does not down shift from 3 to 2 fast enough and rolling through a corner and then gassing it will show the problem. Easy solution I discovered on the track, manually downshift to 2 going into the turn with the left paddle (you do not have to be in manual mode to do this either). Boom, no lag out of the turn. You just have to remember to do this if you want the quick response. Careful though, you will burn through tires with all that juice coming out of the turns.
Im not sure why you quoted me on that. I was stating that theres a difference between turbo lag and transmission lag. In the article they said theres no turbo lag which I agree with. I never said theres no transmission lag.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Im not sure why you quoted me on that. I was stating that theres a difference between turbo lag and transmission lag. In the article they said theres no turbo lag which I agree with. I never said theres no transmission lag.
I was posting a workaround to the transmission lag. You had the post I picked that referenced the problem correctly.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by txgriz
I was posting a workaround to the transmission lag. You had the post I picked that referenced the problem correctly.
Ahh I gotcha. Makes sense, thanks for posting the workaround.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Either way there is a lag and we know they can get read of it by engine & transmission tune. I'm just too much of a chicken to do it. My buddies s4 has a transmission issue and the dealer said Audi will not cover it and there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Almost one year and @ 16k miles I experience zero turbo lag. It's the tranny lag (or whatever term you want to use) that drives me crazy. That said, the S6 is the best car I've ever owned including all other German makes!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
If you experience turbo lag, then there's a problem with your car. I have ample experience with turbocharged engines and can vouch that this is one of the most responsive setups in existence.

What you have to remember is that any turbocharged engine will have increasing torque from idle through the mid-range. The bottom end may not be soft (and this one isn't) but the mid-range will always feel stronger. This is not "turbo lag" per se, but a natural consequence of how turbos operate.
It is all relative. Compared to the instant throttle response of my M3, the S6 definitely feels sluggish. In fact, compared to a highly tuned NA motor, all turbos will feel sluggish. Of course the trade-off is that enormous swell of mid range torque. This is really a hot topic currently in the BMW M3/M4 world as the new twin turbo inline-6 makes it debut
Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
It is all relative. Compared to the instant throttle response of my M3, the S6 definitely feels sluggish. In fact, compared to a highly tuned NA motor, all turbos will feel sluggish. Of course the trade-off is that enormous swell of mid range torque. This is really a hot topic currently in the BMW M3/M4 world as the new twin turbo inline-6 makes it debut
Funny you should mention this. My brother just picked up a low-mileage 2011 M3 (in the subtle shade of Fire Orange) and tracked it last weekend. He's completely smitten and loves the throttle response, high rev limit and wail of the V8. On the other hand, he instructed a student with a Cobb-tuned 135i and was blown away by the torque. Sometimes you just have to pick your poison - instant throttle response or the slam in the small of the back as revs build.