S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=photoguy;24486469]
Originally Posted by subterFUSE
It looks better on every color. Chrome = lame

Sorry to disagree. From more than a few feet away the black looks like every other A6. Reminds me of a Crown Victoria police car or taxi. But to each his own.
I'm not a fan of the black cars with chrome but I really love my chrome grille on my S6 and I agree, the chrome makes it a S6. The further away, the better it looks and looks more expensive. It differentiates it. There is a such thing as too much chrome and I am thinking about blacking out the window chrome.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=gatorguy7;24486500]
Originally Posted by photoguy

I'm not a fan of the black cars with chrome but I really love my chrome grille on my S6 and I agree, the chrome makes it a S6. The further away, the better it looks and looks more expensive. It differentiates it. There is a such thing as too much chrome and I am thinking about blacking out the window chrome.
IMO, Chrome isn't the issue. In fact, I like Chrome on Estoril Blue.

Personally, I just don''t like the multi-color grill of the S6. Never have. It's grey, matte silver, black, and chrome -- all mixed together. Personally, it dominates the front of the car and is confusing to look at (again, my opinion.) A lot of folks are blacking out the grey filler, which helps, but it still leaves grey between the matte-silver bands.

The Black optic grill unifies and simplifies the grill and given that my car is black, it unifies and simplifies the front end entirely.

When I was leaving work yesterday, a couple of folks were looking at my car as I walked out. They complemented me on it -- which was interesting as they had no idea I had changed the grill. It does look much sleeker. I can tell you for sure that it wasn't because they thought it looked like a crown vic, or a taxi. ;-)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=GermanGarage;24486692]
Originally Posted by gatorguy7

IMO, Chrome isn't the issue. In fact, I like Chrome on Estoril Blue.

Personally, I just don''t like the multi-color grill of the S6. Never have. It's grey, matte silver, black, and chrome -- all mixed together. Personally, it dominates the front of the car and is confusing to look at (again, my opinion.) A lot of folks are blacking out the grey filler, which helps, but it still leaves grey between the matte-silver bands.

The Black optic grill unifies and simplifies the grill and given that my car is black, it unifies and simplifies the front end entirely.

When I was leaving work yesterday, a couple of folks were looking at my car as I walked out. They complemented me on it -- which was interesting as they had no idea I had changed the grill. It does look much sleeker. I can tell you for sure that it wasn't because they thought it looked like a crown vic, or a taxi. ;-)
I agree about the gray bumper, blacking that out was the 1st thing I did on the car. I had the car in for the 5k service and looked at A8 grills. The area behind the chrome is black and it does look much better. It's got me thinking about the possibility of painting that area black. They had a A8w12 ($157k!)and that's an interesting variation on the grill too.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The black grill looks great. I think it would also look good with the polished grill surround from the stock grill. Do you think the chrome/polished surround can be removed from the stock grill and put on the black one?

Dennis
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thelionsden
The black grill looks great. I think it would also look good with the polished grill surround from the stock grill. Do you think the chrome/polished surround can be removed from the stock grill and put on the black one?

Dennis
Or just buy the standard A6 grill.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. I would have to have an S6 logo and camera/night vision capability. Perhaps that is available as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option is that you can buy the black optics grille for the S6, and then get the gloss black surround wrapped with a chrome vinyl (i.e. 3M). That way you could always resell it later as an "S6" grille and the next owner can remove the vinyl if they want to.

If the RS6 grille doesn't pan out, I plan on buying the black optics grille and having the surround wrapped in silver/brushed aluminum to match the side grilles/mirrors.