S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Overhead parking camera view

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead parking camera view

One of my favorite features on my S6 is the overhead view camera angle. I always had a tendency to not pull deep enough into a parking spot for fear of scraping up the front of the car on that little concrete blocker or the curb. Now I just punch the "P" button on my way into the spot and it gives me the perfect split screen: a bird's eye view to center the car left/right in the spot and also the front bumper camera (with beeps!) to get right up to the front edge of my parking spot.

Here's the issue- sometimes the overhead camera view doesn't appear. The icon of the car is there with all the little radar blips, but it's just sitting in a sea of black screen. The front bumper cam always works fine, it's the overhead view that is sometimes just intermittent. I can't figure out why. What's weird is that if I hit the "P" button to turn off the system, I get a brief flash of the overhead picture that should be there, right before the screen turns off.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please add your year, model and feature package(s) for reference. I haven't seen that issue occur on mine. However, there is an option to choose Graphic or Camera (maybe not those words, but it's on the menu). You might toggle back and forth on that to see if that helps.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

It happens all the time in mine. Brought it up when I took my car in for its 5k service. They couldnt duplicate it. I just accept it.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just posing to update missing model and packages- now in the signature
Old 01-13-2016, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have this problem. What does the function button under the overhead view do? This switches between the cameras and the sensor view. The brief flash sounds like what it does when you hit "P" in sensor view mode.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default A picture

Took a picture to show what I mean...

I'll have to have a chat with the dealer about this. No idea why the image won't display on the overhead view.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the display when in sensor mode, the gray areas that look like light beams coming from the bumpers are indicating what each of the sensors is seeing. Press the lower left "Camera" button to switch to the top-down camera mode.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyG0925
That is the display when in sensor mode, the gray areas that look like light beams coming from the bumpers are indicating what each of the sensors is seeing. Press the lower left "Camera" button to switch to the top-down camera mode.
Right, but with Drivers Assistance that gives you 360 degree top view camera. So that black area should be showing the ground all around the car on the left.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but you have to press the "Camera" button to switch to that mode. The fact that the bottom left of the screen says Camera means you are not in Camera mode. The bottom left button toggles between camera and sensor modes.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1, what Johnny said.

Doesn't mean that there's not a problem with the cameras, but it shouldn't show them in top view in the current mode.

Quick Reply: Overhead parking camera view