S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The Opti-Coat...It Does Nah-thinggg!!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
See if you can get the internals of the LED headlamp from whoever does the repair. They're probably okay still and will be good spare parts for you or another owner years from now.
X3 - one of my first thoughts too. Broken A6 LED headlights are selling for hundreds on eBay. Remove the whole thing just before or soon after going to the body shop so it doesn't get "lost".
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Sorry to hear about the damage.

X3 - one of my first thoughts too. Broken A6 LED headlights are selling for hundreds on eBay. Remove the whole thing just before or soon after going to the body shop so it doesn't get "lost".
Wouldn't you have to purchase it from the insurance company? If they are replacing the parts I thought the insurance company then owns the new parts.

Also - what headlight wash assembly are they replacing? We don't have them in the US. Isn't it just the cover?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Wouldn't you have to purchase it from the insurance company? If they are replacing the parts I thought the insurance company then owns the new parts.

Also - what headlight wash assembly are they replacing? We don't have them in the US. Isn't it just the cover?
There's no headlight washer spray? It looked like there was something broken off underneath the cover; thought it was a spray nozzle. I even checked the manual, which references headlight washers (page 46 I believe). The adjuster and I were trying to get it to activate, and couldn't. That might explain it!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
The insurance does not own any parts, new or old. Your contract with them covers the cost of parts and labor to repair and/or replace.

If the car is a total loss, the insurance company owns the car when the check is in your hand. Until then, you and the bank own it.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

First world problems, I know...but the locals didn't have anything good to say about the first Audi Authorized Aluminum Repair Center, so I cancelled my appointment (which was for yesterday). The only other place I found in northern New England is supposed to be great (independent shop), but the soonest they can get me in is December 3rd. So in the meantime, I'm driving around in my banged up car for the next six weeks.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

There was nothing under my headlamp washer cover except IIRC a couple small bolts helping to hold the bumper cover in place. Definitely nothing that would be washing my headlamps, especially since the cover pops off, rather than being attached to a hinge.

I feel pretty lucky now that I have a great body shop within a few blocks of my house, and my only wait was for the parts to come in.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

After four weeks, finally got my car back. Apparently, a lot of the delay was coordinating a second appraisal with the insurance company, as they didn't understand why I was taking my car to a body shop 60 miles away.

I brought the car to Hollis Auto Body in Ashland, MA. One of only two authorized Audi aluminum repair shops in northern New England.

Originally, they said the soonest they could fit me in was two months out. Fortunately, they were able to re-arrange some things and get me in a month early.

Car looks great; they really did a fantastic job. When I dropped it off and saw the lot full of Teslas, Porsches and Ferraris, I figured I had found a good place. I got a new hood, fender and headlight, and they resprayed the bumper. Honestly, though I haven't been over every inch yet, it looks as good as new. They even wax/polish the entire car after.

Feels great to be back in a proper vehicle after a month in a Chrysler 300 rental. Even the wife's Q5 was feeling like a sports car in comparison to that boat.

I asked them to save me the headlight, and they did. Not sure if I'm going to save it for parts or put it on Ebay.

Last edited by nobbyv; 11-27-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Just curious, if the the hood and fender were replaced, why was it important to use an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop? Was there some other aluminum sheet metal repaired vs. replaced? And who/where in NE was the other shop?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just curious, if the the hood and fender were replaced, why was it important to use an authorized Audi aluminum repair shop? Was there some other aluminum sheet metal repaired vs. replaced? And who/where in NE was the other shop?
Honestly, you're probably right, since the only "repaired" panel was the plastic bumper. I suspect that simply spraying an aluminum panel is something any shop can do. But I felt better knowing they were authorized to work on aluminum.

The other shop is Ira Collision in Danvers, MA. Still 45 miles away for me, and didn't have great reviews.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The aluminium repair shops are targeted at the A8 cars.

Aluminium, due to the fact it has so much "memory", is generally replaced, not repaired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Opti-Coat...It Does Nah-thinggg!!