S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Moving to S6 from A6...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to S6 from A6...

I have a 2012 A6 Prestige with literally every option available; heads up display, night vision, pre-sense, etc. I have the opportunity to trade this in for a 2013 S6 in the same colour combination. I'm having a difficult time deciding if this is a worthwhile trade up... Really the only option I would be missing is the heads up... Is that really a deal breaker? Has anyone else moved from an A6 to an S6 and regretted the move? I can't imagine so.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess it depends. Do you like power and torque? How about more comfortable seats? Better brakes? More comfortable air suspension? Approving looks from the cognoscenti? Not seeing yourself coming and going every day?

If not, stick with the A6 and enjoy the HUD and more money in your pocket.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have the heads up display now, then only you can answer your question about this being a deal breaker or not. With that being said, I had heads up display in my 2007 Corvette, never had it before, never have had it since. When I order my S6, I will not be ordering it in this car either. I think the look of the unit on the dashboard looks like an afterthought and takes away from the clean lines of the upper dash and the one piece trim that is behind it. As far as functionality, it's a nice feature but I would opt for all the benefits of the S6 over the A6 before I'd let this one item guide my decision.

If you can afford the swap you should go for it. You wouldn't have posed the question if you didn't really want it. Life is short, buy the best you can afford.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donaldp
If you have the heads up display now, then only you can answer your question about this being a deal breaker or not. With that being said, I had heads up display in my 2007 Corvette, never had it before, never have had it since. When I order my S6, I will not be ordering it in this car either. I think the look of the unit on the dashboard looks like an afterthought and takes away from the clean lines of the upper dash and the one piece trim that is behind it. As far as functionality, it's a nice feature but I would opt for all the benefits of the S6 over the A6 before I'd let this one item guide my decision.

If you can afford the swap you should go for it. You wouldn't have posed the question if you didn't really want it. Life is short, buy the best you can afford.
Go for it. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds gives you all the heads-up you would ever need.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you driven the S6 yet? I don't think this would be a conversation if you have. Night and Day on the cars.

I have the HUD now and it distracts me something fierce. I wish it had more play in the location and I also wish that big bulbous housing was not so prominent on the dash. And this HUD should have an independent brightness control and not tie it into the dash lights. I just shut it off

Believe me. Engine, Drivetrain, exhaust sound alone...S6 all the way
Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by birdyA6
Really the only option I would be missing is the heads up... Is that really a deal breaker?
I hardly ever use my HUD. I find it distracting and hardly ever worthwhile using. Also, I second the opinion that the dash would look much better without the add on. I only use it now when I use NAV and want a readily available digital speed readout.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I just purchased an S6 3 weeks ago after spending about 6-9 months in the decision making process.

I have always been an "Options Hound" when it comes to cars, wanting every possible gadget available. This has forced me to special order my cars from Germany in the past. We had to order my 2013 A8, and I ordered my 2005 BMW 545i before that.

When my wife and I walked into the dealership 3 weeks ago, the plan was to test drive an A6 Prestige and an S6. I figured we would have to make a decision and then place the order and wait the 3 months for delivery.

The dealer had on the lot a fully loaded 2014 A6 Prestige, Daytona Gray with Black Optics. It was exactly the car I had been building online for months. We drove it and I was about ready to tell them I would take it.

But they also had a 2013 S6 in the showroom. It had Side Assist and LED headlights, but not much else in terms of options. No Driver Assist, no innovation. We drove it and my wife told me to get that car. I was very hesitant because I knew how badly I wanted the Driver Assist pack. But ultimately I went along with my wife's suggestion and took the S6.

I am absolutely thrilled with the decision. No regrets whatsoever.

As my wife said to me in the dealership: "Those options are just fluff." She was right.

The next morning when I started the S6 engine to leave for work, my wife comes in the garage before I pulled out and taps the window. I roll it down and she says: "I'm not gonna lie, that engine sounds sexy."

Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The next morning when I started the S6 engine to leave for work, my wife comes in the garage before I pulled out and taps the window. I roll it down and she says: "I'm not gonna lie, that engine sounds sexy."

Love it!!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

The wife sounds sexy too!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I guess it depends. Do you like power and torque? How about more comfortable seats? Better brakes? More comfortable air suspension? Approving looks from the cognoscenti? Not seeing yourself coming and going every day?

If not, stick with the A6 and enjoy the HUD and more money in your pocket.
LOL, thank you. I love this reply; this sums up how I'm feeling.

Originally Posted by donaldp

Thank you for your reply... You are right. I really do want it, and I did not think about the fact that the giant hub takes away from the fluidity of the dash.. You are absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Go for it. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds gives you all the heads-up you would ever need.
Touche, touche.

Originally Posted by ccap
Have you driven the S6 yet? I don't think this would be a conversation if you have. Night and Day on the cars.

I have the HUD now and it distracts me something fierce. I wish it had more play in the location and I also wish that big bulbous housing was not so prominent on the dash. And this HUD should have an independent brightness control and not tie it into the dash lights. I just shut it off

Believe me. Engine, Drivetrain, exhaust sound alone...S6 all the way
Actually, yes I have believe it or not. The sound of the S6 and the power versus my A6, well, there really is no comparison. You are right, we should nto be having this conversation at all.

Originally Posted by SMK_RS4
I hardly ever use my HUD. I find it distracting and hardly ever worthwhile using. Also, I second the opinion that the dash would look much better without the add on. I only use it now when I use NAV and want a readily available digital speed readout.
Honestly, the only reason I really like the HUD is that I use the display in my cluster to see what song I'm listening to via my iPhone. Silly, I know.

I just purchased an S6 3 weeks ago after spending about 6-9 months in the decision making process.

I have always been an "Options Hound" when it comes to cars, wanting every possible gadget available. This has forced me to special order my cars from Germany in the past. We had to order my 2013 A8, and I ordered my 2005 BMW 545i before that.

When my wife and I walked into the dealership 3 weeks ago, the plan was to test drive an A6 Prestige and an S6. I figured we would have to make a decision and then place the order and wait the 3 months for delivery.

The dealer had on the lot a fully loaded 2014 A6 Prestige, Daytona Gray with Black Optics. It was exactly the car I had been building online for months. We drove it and I was about ready to tell them I would take it.

But they also had a 2013 S6 in the showroom. It had Side Assist and LED headlights, but not much else in terms of options. No Driver Assist, no innovation. We drove it and my wife told me to get that car. I was very hesitant because I knew how badly I wanted the Driver Assist pack. But ultimately I went along with my wife's suggestion and took the S6.

I am absolutely thrilled with the decision. No regrets whatsoever.

As my wife said to me in the dealership: "Those options are just fluff." She was right.

I really like your wife; I think she and I could be great friends. Thank you for your advice - sounds like you and I were/are in similar situations.

Quick Reply: Moving to S6 from A6...