S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

PlastiDip Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PlastiDip Wheels

While I like the stock 20" rims on my 2013 S6, I do find myself wishing I could/would have gotten the black optic rims. Not only do the darker rims give the car a "meaner" look, but they also cut down on brake dust appearance. It is frustrating to spend an afternoon washing the car only to see the rims look awful after a short trip to the supermarket.

Rather than shell out the $$ for powder coating or a new set a rims, I figured plasti dip would be a cheap test. At this point I only dipped a single wheel...I know...I'm lazy!

The result...

I like the color, so at least that portion was a success. What I do not like is the texture. I followed the directions on the can (and what I found on youtube), and the texture is similar to a high grit sandpaper. It is far from smooth. Now, after poking around the "Internets" (thanks Al Gore), I find that the closer you hold the can, the smoother the texture...OOPS! If I proceed with dipped wheels, I will have to remove and re-apply to this first wheel.

The next decision is matte vs glossy. I'm leaning towards a single coat of glossifier to get it to a satin finish.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I plastidipped mine gunmetal grey about a year ago and they've held up well. My car is estoril and the gunmetal looks great. I didn't use glossifier because i like the matte finish and don't mind the texture. I use Sonax full effect wheel cleaner and a power washer and they clean up nice without even touching the wheels with a brush.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I dipped a second wheel this evening. The finish is super smooth, no sand paper texture at all! I guess now I have to re-do the first wheel.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's how mine looked. I did use a few coats of the glossifier.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kwas911
I dipped a second wheel this evening. The finish is super smooth, no sand paper texture at all! I guess now I have to re-do the first wheel.
Can you spray over the original coat or does it have to be peeled off first?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

how did you get it smooth? spray closer? I did the rear deck lid emblems on my Porsche and it came out semi textured, I was hoping for a more smooth finish. how close do you have to spray?
Old 06-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get closer when spraying...the difference is quite substantial. I tried to keep the spray tip 3-4" and it looks great. I used three coats and a 4th pass for touch up spots. The first coat was very light. Coats 2 and 3 were heavier.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could use a small bit of mineral spirits, rub it on the textured spots then respray. Since mine was the entire wheel, I opted to peel off. I can tell you it doesn't peel off quite as easy as advertised.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE

All wheels are completed...looks great. A super cheap method to test a color change! Hopefully it holds up fairly well.
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks good!

Quick Reply: PlastiDip Wheels