S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Looking for advice before buying

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice before buying

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase this S6. As I have never owned an Audi before I was hesitant, I have heard about how much they cost to maintain. But I don't want that to be the only reason I don't buy this car. I think its time to pull the trigger and get one.

Below I have attached a link to the one I have been looking at, everything seems to be fine with it but I wanted to know what y'all thought about it before I pulled the trigger. Is it a bad idea to buy one that already has 17,000 miles on it, is there some option that this one doesn't have that I should be looking for, is there somethings I should look for next time I go look at it? ect.

Appreciate any feed back I can get!

Thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71963107&Log=0
Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That one has been on the market for a while now. Not sure why because it seems like a fair price.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mbrodeur
Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase this S6. As I have never owned an Audi before I was hesitant, I have heard about how much they cost to maintain. But I don't want that to be the only reason I don't buy this car. I think its time to pull the trigger and get one.
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but PUT THE MOUSE DOWN!

With that said, Audi builds the finest Italian cars you will find.... If you come in (as I did some 14 years ago) expecting a really fast Japanese car, you are going to be disappointed. Just read this forum and see the various trials and travails. IF (and ONLY IF) you can approach the purchase as being the most reliable Italian car you've ever heard of, will you be happy. If you expect to replace 4 blower motors, a set of turbos, every plastic part on the car and to pay 2-3X Japanese pricing for every piece of it, then you're starting out about right. If you expect that every engineering issue on the car will be solved the hard way, then you've started to understand the situation.

Make no mistake, when it's running the car will put a smile on your face - my 13yo C5 still does (when the check engine light isn't on, which isn't often these days). The epitomy of an Audi is me driving up to the Eisenhower tunnel at some 11,000' passing everything in sight with the car so settled and quiet that my family is asleep. Driving my new C7 in the Alps has fixed that smile such that surgery will be required to remove it! The C7 is in so many ways better than my C5, but a look through the engine self-study program shows the heart and soul are unchanged: active engine mounts that are on the diagnostic bus? Sounds like the hard way to me!

"But Richard, you just bought another one!" Yes, Yes I did - I've been in lust with the C7 S6 since it was announced. I held firm in my resolve to never have another first year Audi and waited for the '14s, then circumstances conspired to make a purchase quite viable and I pulled the trigger again.

This time I'm going in eyes wide open. Will I still complain when my car has problems? Oh yes. Will I be surprised this time? No sir. Would I recommend an Audi to anyone I know? Only with the caveats above - you will learn the true meaning of a love-hate relationship if you take on the ownership of an Audi.

Would I recommend purchasing a USED Audi to anyone? Not even my worst enemy. Get a new one with a full warranty. Buy an extended warranty on top of that.

Expect to be on a first-name basis with your local dealer's Service Advisors and Technicians - and that's with a NEW Audi.

Expect lots of contrary opinions, but that's mine!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No problems so far

I have my S6 a year, with about 9K miles. One recall, one significant TSB (dealer installed in a half-hour), no mechanical problems. I bought Audi care, so service won't be much more than the $900 I paid for 50K miles. Considering that this is an $80K car, service isn't too costly - though not cheap. But then there is the driving experience, the brakes and that sweet go pedal.... worth every penny I paid. I love to drive it. I switched from Japanese cars and I'll never go back. Consumer Reports now rates Audi as the third most reliable brand - things are improving. If there are no problems with the car and the deal is good you should enjoy it.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mbrodeur

Below I have attached a link to the one I have been looking at, everything seems to be fine with it but I wanted to know what y'all thought about it before I pulled the trigger. Is it a bad idea to buy one that already has 17,000 miles on it, is there some option that this one doesn't have that I should be looking for, is there somethings I should look for next time I go look at it? ect.

Appreciate any feed back I can get!

Thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71963107&Log=0
Just from looking at the pics, that car has: windows already tinted, 20" wheels that appear a bit more gunmetal color than stock (or dirty?), and an aftermarket exhaust (AWE?). These are items that many members will mod after they purchase an S6, so some added value there for you.

I would test drive an S6 and even the one you listed if you can. Not sure what car you are coming from, but the S6 is a solid (heavy) powerful car (think Lear Jet) and the feel might surprise you for the better or worse. I drove several Audis (S4, S5, S7, S8) before I picked the S6. It's not a cheap car to purchase or maintain, so be sure it's what you want. Just my two cents....
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't buy a used one without cpo 6yr/100k warranty. I leased mine, I really like the car but I don't love it enough to buy it out or lease another one once its up. I have about a year left, I think its time to jump into a 991.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That car is certainly under the CPO mileage window. At minimum (and I purchased all of my Audis as spec-built new cars), I would want to see the complete dealer service record. FWIW, when I sold my RS4 @ 110,000 I made available the service record, and, although the dealer said it was unnecessary, did a carbon clean at around 100k miles. CPO purchases give you a good bit of protection, as perhaps do sellers who have kept good records. To Richard's post above, I would only note that none of my Audimobiles have had catastrophic failures or significant repairs of any kind (none were tuned). But the buyer must always beware.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but PUT THE MOUSE DOWN!

With that said, Audi builds the finest Italian cars you will find.... If you come in (as I did some 14 years ago) expecting a really fast Japanese car, you are going to be disappointed. Just read this forum and see the various trials and travails. IF (and ONLY IF) you can approach the purchase as being the most reliable Italian car you've ever heard of, will you be happy. If you expect to replace 4 blower motors, a set of turbos, every plastic part on the car and to pay 2-3X Japanese pricing for every piece of it, then you're starting out about right. If you expect that every engineering issue on the car will be solved the hard way, then you've started to understand the situation.

Make no mistake, when it's running the car will put a smile on your face - my 13yo C5 still does (when the check engine light isn't on, which isn't often these days). The epitomy of an Audi is me driving up to the Eisenhower tunnel at some 11,000' passing everything in sight with the car so settled and quiet that my family is asleep. Driving my new C7 in the Alps has fixed that smile such that surgery will be required to remove it! The C7 is in so many ways better than my C5, but a look through the engine self-study program shows the heart and soul are unchanged: active engine mounts that are on the diagnostic bus? Sounds like the hard way to me!

"But Richard, you just bought another one!" Yes, Yes I did - I've been in lust with the C7 S6 since it was announced. I held firm in my resolve to never have another first year Audi and waited for the '14s, then circumstances conspired to make a purchase quite viable and I pulled the trigger again.

This time I'm going in eyes wide open. Will I still complain when my car has problems? Oh yes. Will I be surprised this time? No sir. Would I recommend an Audi to anyone I know? Only with the caveats above - you will learn the true meaning of a love-hate relationship if you take on the ownership of an Audi.

Would I recommend purchasing a USED Audi to anyone? Not even my worst enemy. Get a new one with a full warranty. Buy an extended warranty on top of that.

Expect to be on a first-name basis with your local dealer's Service Advisors and Technicians - and that's with a NEW Audi.

Expect lots of contrary opinions, but that's mine!
Richard's post is the best post I've read on any forum in quite some time. As someone who has owned only Japanese cars until the S6, it's absolutely spot on. This is my ninth new car, today being just past 6 months since picking it up, and it has already spent more time at the dealer for [warranty] repairs - one week - than my previous 8 vehicles combined. Happily enough, it was only one visit and the dealer was stellar throughout.

I positively LOVE the car, but I also take quite a lot of comfort in knowing that it's leased.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a carfax with info on its history:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...F2AFC4DN035397
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RobC
Here's a carfax with info on its history:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...F2AFC4DN035397
Good info, but remember that CarFAX is a negative indicator only! A "clean" CarFAX means nothing - as my "courtesy buyback" proved.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice before buying