Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - Present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 284733
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Default Looking for advice before buying

Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase this S6. As I have never owned an Audi before I was hesitant, I have heard about how much they cost to maintain. But I don't want that to be the only reason I don't buy this car. I think its time to pull the trigger and get one.

Below I have attached a link to the one I have been looking at, everything seems to be fine with it but I wanted to know what y'all thought about it before I pulled the trigger. Is it a bad idea to buy one that already has 17,000 miles on it, is there some option that this one doesn't have that I should be looking for, is there somethings I should look for next time I go look at it? ect.

Appreciate any feed back I can get!

Thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71963107&Log=0
Mbrodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 74359
 
lnferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 498
Default

That one has been on the market for a while now. Not sure why because it seems like a fair price.
lnferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrodeur View Post
Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase this S6. As I have never owned an Audi before I was hesitant, I have heard about how much they cost to maintain. But I don't want that to be the only reason I don't buy this car. I think its time to pull the trigger and get one.
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but PUT THE MOUSE DOWN!

With that said, Audi builds the finest Italian cars you will find.... If you come in (as I did some 14 years ago) expecting a really fast Japanese car, you are going to be disappointed. Just read this forum and see the various trials and travails. IF (and ONLY IF) you can approach the purchase as being the most reliable Italian car you've ever heard of, will you be happy. If you expect to replace 4 blower motors, a set of turbos, every plastic part on the car and to pay 2-3X Japanese pricing for every piece of it, then you're starting out about right. If you expect that every engineering issue on the car will be solved the hard way, then you've started to understand the situation.

Make no mistake, when it's running the car will put a smile on your face - my 13yo C5 still does (when the check engine light isn't on, which isn't often these days). The epitomy of an Audi is me driving up to the Eisenhower tunnel at some 11,000' passing everything in sight with the car so settled and quiet that my family is asleep. Driving my new C7 in the Alps has fixed that smile such that surgery will be required to remove it! The C7 is in so many ways better than my C5, but a look through the engine self-study program shows the heart and soul are unchanged: active engine mounts that are on the diagnostic bus? Sounds like the hard way to me!

"But Richard, you just bought another one!" Yes, Yes I did - I've been in lust with the C7 S6 since it was announced. I held firm in my resolve to never have another first year Audi and waited for the '14s, then circumstances conspired to make a purchase quite viable and I pulled the trigger again.

This time I'm going in eyes wide open. Will I still complain when my car has problems? Oh yes. Will I be surprised this time? No sir. Would I recommend an Audi to anyone I know? Only with the caveats above - you will learn the true meaning of a love-hate relationship if you take on the ownership of an Audi.

Would I recommend purchasing a USED Audi to anyone? Not even my worst enemy. Get a new one with a full warranty. Buy an extended warranty on top of that.

Expect to be on a first-name basis with your local dealer's Service Advisors and Technicians - and that's with a NEW Audi.


Expect lots of contrary opinions, but that's mine!
__________________
Richard
'14 S6 4.0TQDSG
'01 A6 2.7TQM - Sold
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell

Please help get PDF manuals from AoA by supporting http://www.audipdfpetition.org
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 262333
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 127
Default No problems so far

I have my S6 a year, with about 9K miles. One recall, one significant TSB (dealer installed in a half-hour), no mechanical problems. I bought Audi care, so service won't be much more than the $900 I paid for 50K miles. Considering that this is an $80K car, service isn't too costly - though not cheap. But then there is the driving experience, the brakes and that sweet go pedal.... worth every penny I paid. I love to drive it. I switched from Japanese cars and I'll never go back. Consumer Reports now rates Audi as the third most reliable brand - things are improving. If there are no problems with the car and the deal is good you should enjoy it.
DD1546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 283002
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrodeur View Post
Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase this S6. As I have never owned an Audi before I was hesitant, I have heard about how much they cost to maintain. But I don't want that to be the only reason I don't buy this car. I think its time to pull the trigger and get one.

Below I have attached a link to the one I have been looking at, everything seems to be fine with it but I wanted to know what y'all thought about it before I pulled the trigger. Is it a bad idea to buy one that already has 17,000 miles on it, is there some option that this one doesn't have that I should be looking for, is there somethings I should look for next time I go look at it? ect.

Appreciate any feed back I can get!

Thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71963107&Log=0
Just from looking at the pics, that car has: windows already tinted, 20" wheels that appear a bit more gunmetal color than stock (or dirty?), and an aftermarket exhaust (AWE?). These are items that many members will mod after they purchase an S6, so some added value there for you.

I would test drive an S6 and even the one you listed if you can. Not sure what car you are coming from, but the S6 is a solid (heavy) powerful car (think Lear Jet) and the feel might surprise you for the better or worse. I drove several Audis (S4, S5, S7, S8) before I picked the S6. It's not a cheap car to purchase or maintain, so be sure it's what you want. Just my two cents....
__________________
2013 S6 Phantom Black - Black Optics Grille - Satin Black Rear Diffuser - 20" Wheels - LED Headlights - Driver Assist - Carbon Inlays - Cold Weather Package - 35% Tint - VAG-COM
Owlbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 255751
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 121
Default

I wouldn't buy a used one without cpo 6yr/100k warranty. I leased mine, I really like the car but I don't love it enough to buy it out or lease another one once its up. I have about a year left, I think its time to jump into a 991.
mikec7s6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 107169
 
DrCondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,227
Default

That car is certainly under the CPO mileage window. At minimum (and I purchased all of my Audis as spec-built new cars), I would want to see the complete dealer service record. FWIW, when I sold my RS4 @ 110,000 I made available the service record, and, although the dealer said it was unnecessary, did a carbon clean at around 100k miles. CPO purchases give you a good bit of protection, as perhaps do sellers who have kept good records. To Richard's post above, I would only note that none of my Audimobiles have had catastrophic failures or significant repairs of any kind (none were tuned). But the buyer must always beware.
__________________

Brake dust compromise installed

2000 Nogaro Blue S4 = 104,485 miles
2004 Nogaro Blue S4 = 75,000 miles
2007 Daytona Grey RS4, CF trim, no sunroof or nav, and no damn "V8" badges...
sold and sorely missed on 8/10/13 and at 110,877 miles
2013 Estoril Blue S6..."Torque tells the Truth"
DrCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 270386
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Solomon View Post
I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but PUT THE MOUSE DOWN!

With that said, Audi builds the finest Italian cars you will find.... If you come in (as I did some 14 years ago) expecting a really fast Japanese car, you are going to be disappointed. Just read this forum and see the various trials and travails. IF (and ONLY IF) you can approach the purchase as being the most reliable Italian car you've ever heard of, will you be happy. If you expect to replace 4 blower motors, a set of turbos, every plastic part on the car and to pay 2-3X Japanese pricing for every piece of it, then you're starting out about right. If you expect that every engineering issue on the car will be solved the hard way, then you've started to understand the situation.

Make no mistake, when it's running the car will put a smile on your face - my 13yo C5 still does (when the check engine light isn't on, which isn't often these days). The epitomy of an Audi is me driving up to the Eisenhower tunnel at some 11,000' passing everything in sight with the car so settled and quiet that my family is asleep. Driving my new C7 in the Alps has fixed that smile such that surgery will be required to remove it! The C7 is in so many ways better than my C5, but a look through the engine self-study program shows the heart and soul are unchanged: active engine mounts that are on the diagnostic bus? Sounds like the hard way to me!

"But Richard, you just bought another one!" Yes, Yes I did - I've been in lust with the C7 S6 since it was announced. I held firm in my resolve to never have another first year Audi and waited for the '14s, then circumstances conspired to make a purchase quite viable and I pulled the trigger again.

This time I'm going in eyes wide open. Will I still complain when my car has problems? Oh yes. Will I be surprised this time? No sir. Would I recommend an Audi to anyone I know? Only with the caveats above - you will learn the true meaning of a love-hate relationship if you take on the ownership of an Audi.

Would I recommend purchasing a USED Audi to anyone? Not even my worst enemy. Get a new one with a full warranty. Buy an extended warranty on top of that.

Expect to be on a first-name basis with your local dealer's Service Advisors and Technicians - and that's with a NEW Audi.


Expect lots of contrary opinions, but that's mine!
Richard's post is the best post I've read on any forum in quite some time. As someone who has owned only Japanese cars until the S6, it's absolutely spot on. This is my ninth new car, today being just past 6 months since picking it up, and it has already spent more time at the dealer for [warranty] repairs - one week - than my previous 8 vehicles combined. Happily enough, it was only one visit and the dealer was stellar throughout.

I positively LOVE the car, but I also take quite a lot of comfort in knowing that it's leased.
ronbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 199
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 2,759
Default

Here's a carfax with info on its history:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...F2AFC4DN035397
__________________
Robert Cheng
2014 Q5 TDI, Phantom Black, S-Line, B&O, Nav, Side Assist
2013 S6, Estoril Blue, B&O, LED, cold weather, comfort seats, rear shade, BBS CH-R 20x9 ET25, Stasis 25.4mm RSB
2010 S4, 6-spd, Meteor Gray, Prestige, Sport Diff, Strat shifter, H&R Rear Sway -- SOLD
2000 S4, 6-spd, Brilliant Black, Stg3 & other goodies -- SOLD

OEM Audi Wheel Page

RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 525
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
Here's a carfax with info on its history:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...F2AFC4DN035397
Good info, but remember that CarFAX is a negative indicator only! A "clean" CarFAX means nothing - as my "courtesy buyback" proved.
__________________
Richard
'14 S6 4.0TQDSG
'01 A6 2.7TQM - Sold
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." -Corky Bell

Please help get PDF manuals from AoA by supporting http://www.audipdfpetition.org
Richard Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.