S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Launch control class action?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the fact that Audi actually included launch control in the car and was kind enough to explain how to do in the manual is enough, regardless if you are allowed to only do it 20 times or 200 times.
No offense but that is exactly what Audi would say but that truth is that they exist only because of customers, so no, they are not being 'kind'.

Last edited by gatorguy7; 11-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
No offense but that is exactly what Audi would say but that truth is that they exist only because of customers, so no, they are not being 'kind'.
x2

It would be like me selling you a washing machine, saying it is 10x faster then any other washing machine you can buy for the price with its new "turbo" cycle and then after 200 washes you find out your turbo cycle doesn't work.

Is that not bait and switch at its core?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really an interesting discussion. Firstly, the whole launch control thing is a relatively new phenomenon. Think about what's going on here mechanically. There is no doubt that this kind of launch is going to be shock to the transmission and driveline. It is no different, however, than revving up the motor and dropping the clutch in a manual transmission car.

How often do you think you can do that before something breaks? Probably not even close to 200 times in a factory built car.

The fact that Audi has limited it, is, in fact, to their credit. Your car is protected from might otherwise be some serious repair costs. And if you want to propose that Audi should have built a transmission and driveline that can withstand an infinite number of such launches, then you won't be getting such a car for $80k.

The S6 is really a tremendous value, but don't expect it to offer what a car costing $30-40k more might offer.

Last edited by Vijay; 11-18-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
We do get most of their performance cars actually. If you think about the amount of S/RS models they have brought over in the past couple years we have been very fortunate. However, if we keep acting like little babies complaining about stupid little things, theres no reason for them to continue doing so.
I'm with Vijay on this one. Alex, you are essentially blaming the lack of US RS cars on your customers, which is just as ridiculous as this thread. Everything I've heard, read, and discussed says its a number of factors including regulations, sales volume, customer interest, currency, AoA leadership and the dealership network. I seriously doubt Audi would pull S cars that have been here for a while now because of a few silly people who post on a forum. If that were the case there would be no cars here at all.

As a supposed member of the "class", I have zero interest in a lawsuit. The parameters Audi have put on the car, including launch mode sound perfectly reasonable to me.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr99
I'm with Vijay on this one. Alex, you are essentially blaming the lack of US RS cars on your customers, which is just as ridiculous as this thread. Everything I've heard, read, and discussed says its a number of factors including regulations, sales volume, customer interest, currency, AoA leadership and the dealership network. I seriously doubt Audi would pull S cars that have been here for a while now because of a few silly people who post on a forum. If that were the case there would be no cars here at all.

As a supposed member of the "class", I have zero interest in a lawsuit. The parameters Audi have put on the car, including launch mode sound perfectly reasonable to me.
Dead on. I am not going to beg any company to buy their product. They aren't doing us a favor by taking our $85k. I don't think this is a bait and switch or anything so severe but rather should have been more clear in the documentation because it is a feature of the car.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
This is really an interesting discussion. Firstly, the whole launch control thing is a relatively new phenomenon. Think about what's going on here mechanically. There is no doubt that this kind of launch is going to be shock to the transmission and driveline. It is no different, however, than revving up the motor and dropping the clutch in a manual transmission car.

How often do you think you can do that before something breaks? Probably not even close to 200 times in a factory built car.

The fact that Audi has limited it, is, in fact, to their credit. Your car is protected from might otherwise be some serious repair costs. And if want to propose that Audi should have built a transmission and driveline that can withstand an infinite number of such launches, then you won't be getting such a car for $80k.

The S6 is really a tremendous value, but don't expect it to offer what a car costing $30-40k more might offer.
+1
Old 11-17-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay

The fact that Audi has limited it, is, in fact, to their credit. Your car is protected from might otherwise be some serious repair costs. And if want to propose that Audi should have built a transmission and driveline that can withstand an infinite number of such launches, then you won't be getting such a car for $80k.

An 80k Porsche has 2k launches, Once again I would have been fine with the 200 launches if they would have said, "there are 200 launches" the reason I am bitter is because I don't have launch control any more to every one else this is not an issue as no one else launched their car as much as I did. This is just a way of Audi getting out of replacing a DSG if it breaks (under warranty since it would have broken under 50k), rather then disclosing that the transmission can't hold the power after x number of launches

I mean I will find a way around the programming and unlock the launch control again, but it is very annoying having a feature removed when it was one I used regularly.

To me a cost of a DSG is not that big of a deal when it comes to finding the limits of the car, but once again I like to push the envelope and I know not many are willing to go as far so I am.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sciblades
An 80k Porsche has 2k launches, Once again I would have been fine with the 200 launches if they would have said, "there are 200 launches" the reason I am bitter is because I don't have launch control any more to every one else this is not an issue as no one else launched their car as much as I did.
200 Launches is an okay limit, as long as you TELL THE CUSTOMERS

The only reason we found out was because of the forum, imagine how many others don't even know they're approaching this SECRET Limit and about to lose a major feature of their car.

Audi can create whatever limit they want, they just have to TELL THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT, not just disable the feature when it hits 200

The instructions are in the manual. I wonder what other instructions in the manual have secret LIMITS on them? How many times can I roll down my windows before they disable themselves?

I'd join a class, but i'm Canadian so not sure if that helps
Old 11-18-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sciblades
An 80k Porsche has 2k launches, Once again I would have been fine with the 200 launches if they would have said, "there are 200 launches" the reason I am bitter is because I don't have launch control any more to every one else this is not an issue as no one else launched their car as much as I did. This is just a way of Audi getting out of replacing a DSG if it breaks (under warranty since it would have broken under 50k), rather then disclosing that the transmission can't hold the power after x number of launches

I mean I will find a way around the programming and unlock the launch control again, but it is very annoying having a feature removed when it was one I used regularly.

To me a cost of a DSG is not that big of a deal when it comes to finding the limits of the car, but once again I like to push the envelope and I know not many are willing to go as far so I am.
Just want to comment that an $80k Porsche is a stripper of a car. It won't have anywhere near the performance of an S6, nor anything even remotely close to the other luxury features and amenities that the S6 has. If you want to equip a Porsche with everything the S6 has, it will be around $130-140k, minimum.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clintb
200 Launches is an okay limit, as long as you TELL THE CUSTOMERS

The only reason we found out was because of the forum, imagine how many others don't even know they're approaching this SECRET Limit and about to lose a major feature of their car.

Audi can create whatever limit they want, they just have to TELL THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT, not just disable the feature when it hits 200

The instructions are in the manual. I wonder what other instructions in the manual have secret LIMITS on them? How many times can I roll down my windows before they disable themselves?

I'd join a class, but i'm Canadian so not sure if that helps
Audi sends an addendum to all owners that states the 200 limit and class action is over. Not sure what people want out of this. It's not like you could or would argue you wouldn't have purchased the car if you knew about the 200 limit. What injury or damage would you even claim here?

This thread is really starting to sound like a bunch of whining over something of relatively little import. You own a ridiculously awesome car, enjoy it, be glad your house didn't just get flattened by a tornado, be happy that you have the means to afford a luxury, stop bitching about nothing.

Quick Reply: Launch control class action?