S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

latest issue... check engine light & "EPC"

Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default latest issue... check engine light & "EPC"

Pulling out of a parking spot tonight in my 2014 S6... put car in reverse, took foot off brake and as soon as I started to reverse - the engines dies and the "check engine" and "EPC" lights came on. Then a warning "battery is disengaging (or discharging... I can't remember). Anyway, called Roadside Assistance and they informed me it's an electrical failure and car has to be towed to dealer. So, an hour later I'm home and my car is at the dealer.

Anyone else have this?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RHODEEHO
Pulling out of a parking spot tonight in my 2014 S6... put car in reverse, took foot off brake and as soon as I started to reverse - the engines dies and the "check engine" and "EPC" lights came on. Then a warning "battery is disengaging (or discharging... I can't remember). Anyway, called Roadside Assistance and they informed me it's an electrical failure and car has to be towed to dealer. So, an hour later I'm home and my car is at the dealer.

Anyone else have this?
My EPC light came on the other day while heading to the dealer for my 15k service. There is a TSB to address the issue I had. But it sounds like you had more going on: I had no CEL or battery message. Sorry!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Anyway, called Roadside Assistance and they informed me it's an electrical failure and car has to be towed to dealer. So, an hour later I'm home and my car is at the dealer.

Anyone else have this?
Sorry to hear! I carry a VCDS setup in my trunk because of an episode like this with my original C5...
Old 06-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

epc light happened to me once and car also said reduced power/rpm to 4000 rpm, something like that. I turned the car off and back on and it seemed to have cleared itself. never had it happen again in about 5k miles.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone else have this?
Update: car spent the day at the dealer. Dealer found no issue, no faults recorded in computer. Car started immediately the morning after the engine died. Thankfully I took pics of the dash showing the lights & error message. I find these little glitches frustrating.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Sorry to hear! I carry a VCDS setup in my trunk because of an episode like this with my original C5...
You must also always have a laptop pc in your car (unless you bought the new standalone Ross-Tech scanner).
Old 06-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I experienced the CEL+EPC with 4,000 RPM limit at 4166 miles. It turned out to be a short in the intercooler coolant pump, which blew a fuse thus depowering several other sensors on the same circuit. It took the dealer a few days to diagnose as Audi tech line was having them test every sensor/component on the circuit, and then another couple of days to receive and install the part. The dealer was fantastic throughout the whole thing and the car has been great since.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You must also always have a laptop pc in your car (unless you bought the new standalone Ross-Tech scanner).
Yes, I did....originally this one:

But then, yes, I did - more on that once I have the car
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

no faults recorded in computer.
That actually surprises me greatly - I would be looking at power delivery (electrical) as almost nothing else would explain the ECU taking a dump and not recording it. Heck, fault codes in the C7 are even timestamped so I'm aghast that the ECU wouldn't log a failure - thus I presume that it *COULDN'T* log a failure.... which leads to power/ground questions.

Were I the technician, I would have grabbed hold of every connector I could find and given it a good wiggle, removed and reseated all ECU connections, and any other power distribution connectors I could reasonably easily reach.

I hope you got hit by cosmic rays or some other such gremlin, but it does make me nervous. OTOH, my HID igniter circuit failed exactly one time (in the dealership parking lot no less) throwing the dash indication and everything, then went away silently upon restart and hasn't reappeared (yet) in the intervening decade+.

When the original failure occurred, did you shut the car completely off and restart it? Kind of like a personal computer - shut down, wave hands and pray to the electronics gods, then restart?
Old 11-04-2022, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I purchased a low miles 2014 S6 recently and just had the exact same issue. Put car into reserve and it stalled, EPC and Engine warning lights on. One other wrinkle was I could not turn car off for about 15mins. Hit engine off button 20-30 x and eventually car powered down and restarted w/o issue. I'll take car in and have codes pulled.

Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: latest issue... check engine light & "EPC"