S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

I think I lost my 2016 S6 Yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I think I lost my 2016 S6 Yesterday....

Bittersweet day. I'm away at work for another 2 weeks and my wife called yesterday morning with some bad news. Here XC90 had a slow leak in the right rear tire, so she took my car to work and back......On the way back from work, she hit a moose. The venerable S6 did exactly what it was supposed to do when a moose runs out in front of you while you're doing 45mph. She slammed on the brakes and turned hard to try and avoid it. She almost made it, but sadly not quite. In any event, other than a sore back, she was uninjured, which is the great news. The not so great news is my car didn't quite make it through undamaged.

We have an insurance adjuster scheduled to evaluate the damage, but I don't have a great feeling about the situation. It's a 2016 S6 Prestige with the Sport Package and pretty much every other option. 25,800 miles and Zero launches from launch control (I know, I've checked ). It also was essential spotless and pristine (except for a small 1/4" scratch on top of the rear bumper where one of my kids set something down while loading the trunk. I consider it valued at the high end of KBB and hopefully my insurance company does as well.

I've posted a picture to get peoples thoughts on whether it's repairable or would be considered a total loss. My main concern is that the drivers side door doesn't open any more and there is damage to the A pillar. Can the A pillar be repaired? I absolutely loved driving this car and sadly, even if it's repaired, I don't feel like it will ever be the same but perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:42 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry for you ordeal.
That's at least $20k in damage. I would not be surprised to see it totaled.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Certainly a bit of damage (and cost associated to repair), but looks fixable to me.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I should know soon enough, they're coming to tow it to the body shop for an estimate. The damaged A-Pillar and Door that won't open are the concerns I have. I know the fender, headlight and bumper can be replaced, but looking at the pics, there is Moose hair caught in the gap between the fender/door and A-pillar, that tells me the fender had to have been pushed in quite a bit and then sprung back, so who knows how it looks underneath.

Seems right on the edge between fixable and totaled, which is probably the worst place to be. I'm kind of glad I'm not there though, pictures are bad enough, would hate to see it in person.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they totaled my A6 due to A pillar damage- couldn't open door. Hey- if they total it you can always upgrade (what I did)!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DupeA6
they totaled my A6 due to A pillar damage- couldn't open door. Hey- if they total it you can always upgrade (what I did)!
I know, just don't want to get ahead of myself........... . Already been looking at low miles 2018 S6s and a couple RS7s online. Nothing available in my state, unless I special order new and I'm not sure how I feel about the non v8 s6 yet.

Last edited by acruxksa; 10-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I rebuild cars as a hobby. Probably about 30 cars in the last 3 years. I've rebuilt 4 Audi's including my current 2013 S6 and I just completed an 2011 R8 Spyder V10 for myself as well. It all comes down to the current value and the cost of repairs. It's sort of a racket. If you want it totaled you can definitely influence that decision. It doesn't really look that bad to me though. The door probably doesn't open because the fender got pushed back rather than the a-pillar itself. I see a ton of "deer" hits in Montana. Very common that the door hits the fender after one of these.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wheelsup69
I rebuild cars as a hobby. Probably about 30 cars in the last 3 years. I've rebuilt 4 Audi's including my current 2013 S6 and I just completed an 2011 R8 Spyder V10 for myself as well. It all comes down to the current value and the cost of repairs. It's sort of a racket. If you want it totaled you can definitely influence that decision. It doesn't really look that bad to me though. The door probably doesn't open because the fender got pushed back rather than the a-pillar itself. I see a ton of "deer" hits in Montana. Very common that the door hits the fender after one of these.
Sadly, I'm working out of town for the next couple weeks, so I don't really have much influence in the matter. My wife is meeting with the adjuster tomorrow afternoon to survey the damage. My biggest hangup with the situation is verifying that any repairs are done properly, but when I get home, I'm off work for 4 months so I guess Ill have time to ask a lot of questions...
Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regardless, a good reputable shop should be able to fix it correctly and you would never know. Based on the damage I wouldn't anticipate any "hidden" issues unless she went into a ditch or something.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wheelsup69
Regardless, a good reputable shop should be able to fix it correctly and you would never know. Based on the damage I wouldn't anticipate any "hidden" issues unless she went into a ditch or something.
Nope, no ditch. Have USAA and they're pretty good about letting us take it wherever we want. It's going to one of the larger shops in town that's been around for awhile, so fingers crossed. Hard to really know who's reputable or not, but if anyone in town is, it would be them.

Any ideas how they would go about fixing the dents in the a pillar? Seems like the only option is to pull them as much as possible and use filler..........then again, I don't really know, so maybe it's not as big a deal as I assumed it was.

Last edited by acruxksa; 10-06-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I think I lost my 2016 S6 Yesterday....