S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

High Pressure Fuel Line just blew

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Luckily my S6 has not been a victim of this, but My father's S7 had this happen a few weeks ago. It has been in the shop now since labor day waiting for parts from Germany as they were on backorder. The fuel line that burst on his car was on the passenger side right above the head. I can find out exactly where when I take him down to pick it up Friday.

The Service advisor told me that he had never seen one, but apparently it is common on our cars and Audi is scrambling to get the revised parts out to dealers. Not a great sign...

It happened when he started the car, apparently the initial push of fuel from the high pressure fuel pump overwhelms the line. The speculation was that the rubber is weak after many heat cycles and just gives up. Not sure how true that is... but the one that burst was directly between the head and the turbo... Very hot right there i would imagine.

crossing my fingers that they announce some sort of update/recall before many more burst. Until then... contemplate APR tune.

Mike
Thanks Mike, same exact location for me. Dealership just called and told me two weeks for the part to get here from Germany. They put me in an A7 for the meantime.

I am beyond upset about all of this. Like, I really can't believe any of it guys.

Do you think the dealership should do something extra for any of us that have had this issue and the subsequent delay?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tony7314
Thanks Mike, same exact location for me. Dealership just called and told me two weeks for the part to get here from Germany. They put me in an A7 for the meantime.

I am beyond upset about all of this. Like, I really can't believe any of it guys.

Do you think the dealership should do something extra for any of us that have had this issue and the subsequent delay?
I am sorry to hear you are stuck in the backorder game as well. The dealership definitely "made it right" for my father. That said your mileage may vary. We have purchased many cars from this dealer and they have always been good to us on the service side. Before you ask what they offered for the down time... I am not really at liberty to say until we pick up the car and verify all is good.

This is only the 2nd time in 13 years working with this dealer that a car was in for longer than a day or two. The first time was my 2004 S4 which had a shifter linkage issue.

Mike
Old 09-22-2013, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

this happened to mine in july, took 5-6 business days to get the part here and car fixed.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
this happened to mine in july, took 5-6 business days to get the part here and car fixed.
I'm not too sure how safe I feel in the car now. If it happens again and I'm on the highway with a hot engine things can get deadly. What or who is to say it won't happen again? Clearly it's a well documented problem.

I honestly don't even want to drive the car anymore, it kind of messed me up mentally. I am hoping to communicate this to the dealer and see what happens. This really sucks.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tony7314
I'm not too sure how safe I feel in the car now. If it happens again and I'm on the highway with a hot engine things can get deadly. What or who is to say it won't happen again? Clearly it's a well documented problem.

I honestly don't even want to drive the car anymore, it kind of messed me up mentally. I am hoping to communicate this to the dealer and see what happens. This really sucks.
Suggest that we "get back on the bike and ride". If you have a flat tire.....are you afraid to drive the car again? Sometimes freaky stuff happens. The manufacturer repairs it and typically we have no issues going forward.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

Could these fuel line problems stem from ethanol content in the fuel or summer blends?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Could these fuel line problems stem from ethanol content in the fuel or summer blends?
No idea.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
FWIW, ethanol content in German gas has been the same as in the US for a few years now (10%). Not sure if you were suggesting that they didn't catch this due to different gas formulations...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nobbyv
FWIW, ethanol content in German gas has been the same as in the US for a few years now (10%). Not sure if you were suggesting that they didn't catch this due to different gas formulations...
I recall ethanol being a pain point for fuel lines in older cars. Not to say that Audi isn't up to date on this sort of stuff, but I think the blend has been approved to 15% now. If it's just the S6 with this fuel line issue, then barring a manufacturing defect, I'd be interested in knowing if it happens again after a repair.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the dealership for another service issue and asked them about this issue and they don't have any information on it. Too bad because I am very nervous every time I hit the start button

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Line just blew