S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

High Pressure Fuel Line just blew

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pressure Fuel Line just blew

So I was low on gas today (meter said 10 miles left) and tried to start my 2013 S6. As soon as I pushed the start button, the car and engine vibrated violently followed by a loud popping sound. I go outside and the entire area smells of gasoline. I notice a fast running leak under my engine bay and I open the hood to find gas EVERYWHERE. I called my dealer and they sent a tow truck over. After a quick look, the service rep told me the high pressure fuel line completely ruptured and gave out. Everyone there said they've never seen it before. This was a brand new 2013 purchase!

I will keep everyone updated on what happens. FYI the car has 10,500 miles on it, it was about 60 degrees outside, and it was parked facing down on hill.

Thank God I wasn't on the highway (would it have caught fire?)

wtf...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tony7314

Thank God I wasn't on the highway (would it have caught fire?)

wtf...
Glad to hear you are ok. If you were fully warmed up, probably a very good chance it would have combusted.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting that the fuel leaks are reported on the "S" cars. Perhaps the fuel line is larger than the A6/A7 and weaker/thinner at the bends.

The autoignition temperature of gasoline is 536*F/289*C. I don't know what the exhaust header temperature is. There is a chance that it may have ignited on the highway.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not excited to hear about even more occurrences of ruptured fuel lines in our cars. Hope yours works out quickly!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Not excited to hear about even more occurrences of ruptured fuel lines in our cars. Hope yours works out quickly!
Agreed. I got rid of my E63 for the same problem. I hope this is not going to be a re-occuring issue.

Gas leaks are scary problems.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4thrills
Glad to hear you are ok. If you were fully warmed up, probably a very good chance it would have combusted.
Actually most of the issues I have heard have happened when starting the car.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Actually most of the issues I have heard have happened when starting the car.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...returned-to-me

another case on audizine
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And a S7
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2853472
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what segment of the fuel line is blowing? Seems to me that there may be one weak point in particular.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Luckily my S6 has not been a victim of this, but My father's S7 had this happen a few weeks ago. It has been in the shop now since labor day waiting for parts from Germany as they were on backorder. The fuel line that burst on his car was on the passenger side right above the head. I can find out exactly where when I take him down to pick it up Friday.

The Service advisor told me that he had never seen one, but apparently it is common on our cars and Audi is scrambling to get the revised parts out to dealers. Not a great sign...

It happened when he started the car, apparently the initial push of fuel from the high pressure fuel pump overwhelms the line. The speculation was that the rubber is weak after many heat cycles and just gives up. Not sure how true that is... but the one that burst was directly between the head and the turbo... Very hot right there i would imagine.

crossing my fingers that they announce some sort of update/recall before many more burst. Until then... contemplate APR tune.

Mike

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Line just blew