S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Has anyone removed their center resonator and replaced it with an x pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Don't you have aftermarket mufflers too? That wouldn't serve the purpose.

What I'd really like is to drive your car to check out the tune. I'm a fan of the Unitronic product from their 2.0T tunes.
not a problem, my car will be down after Christmas. shoot me your # in a pm and we can meet up
Old 11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

The x pipe mod is the best bang for the buck and sounds better than aftermarket systems on some cars. If you are talking about being cheap because I won't drop another $2500+ for an aftermarket system, then yes, I am cheap. Especially when the x-pipe is dirt cheap and in most 8 cylinder applications sounds great. Just look up resonator delete and listen to the sound bites. Just for the 4.0TT there's only that one that I found and it doesn't have any sound at higher rpm's. Also, the valved stock mufflers are pretty good too.
im in the same boat at you. ive been chopping up my cars and fixing them up since I was old enough to drive. I use to have no problem dropping $10-20K+ on every car I modded, buying titanium exhausts and the most expensive rims and car parts available. now that im older and have a fam, my priorities have changed a little I guess. I want the sound to be louder, but don't want to drop 2-3k on a piece of metal that im only going to use for another 2 years. has anyone chopped the resonator yet? or tried the magnaflow exhaust? I can get a slamming deal on the MF, but am kind of hesitant to go down that route.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
im in the same boat at you. ive been chopping up my cars and fixing them up since I was old enough to drive. I use to have no problem dropping $10-20K+ on every car I modded, buying titanium exhausts and the most expensive rims and car parts available. now that im older and have a fam, my priorities have changed a little I guess. I want the sound to be louder, but don't want to drop 2-3k on a piece of metal that im only going to use for another 2 years. has anyone chopped the resonator yet? or tried the magnaflow exhaust? I can get a slamming deal on the MF, but am kind of hesitant to go down that route.
I put over $30k in mods into my old B5 S4 back in the day. My issue with big ticket modding is more the fact that you get virtually nothing back when you sell the car. And....if you want to trade you car to a dealer, those mods will actually hurt your value over a stock vehicle.

Sure, you can remove the mods and sell them, but you still take a big hit on resale of the parts and removing the mods can sometimes generate another expense itself.

Likely, my only mods for the S6 will be ECU, exhaust, wheels. And the wheels are more out of the need to have winter wheels/tires than anything else.

Finally, I am never one to jump on the mod band wagon too early, as their are inevitably more and better choices a year or two into a car's production.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
I put over $30k in mods into my old B5 S4 back in the day. My issue with big ticket modding is more the fact that you get virtually nothing back when you sell the car. And....if you want to trade you car to a dealer, those mods will actually hurt your value over a stock vehicle.

Sure, you can remove the mods and sell them, but you still take a big hit on resale of the parts and removing the mods can sometimes generate another expense itself.

Likely, my only mods for the S6 will be ECU, exhaust, wheels. And the wheels are more out of the need to have winter wheels/tires than anything else.

Finally, I am never one to jump on the mod band wagon too early, as their are inevitably more and better choices a year or two into a car's production.
yea, im still stuck with a couple cars that I cant get myself to sell because ive spent too much on them. the amount of $ in mods alone costs way more than market value of the cars today. my S6 is a lease, so I don't want to go spending all kinds of money on something I know im going to return in 2 years. I may just bite the bullet after the holidays and buy the magnaflow and see how it is, its so cheap anyways ive got nothing to lose.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dr Chill,

Did you do the X pipe mod?
If so, how does it sound? Would like to see before and after vid if you do!

Let us know....

Vin
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Going to pbir after work tomorrow if you wanted to come out
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Turning off ANC & SAS?

Just curious - are you guys turning off the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and/or the Sound Actuator System (SAS)? From reading the 4.0T self-study guide it seems like Audi has a lot of electronics fighting changing the sound, so I'm curious how that plays out with the exhaust mods?
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sciblades
Going to pbir after work tomorrow if you wanted to come out
How about a video of how it sounds?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did this on our S4 and for $150 the sound improvement is excellent. Anyone try this with their S6?

Here is mine , first vid recorded with a better mic, but still not great , sound it's great , but not loud . If you looking forr something really loud,this is not enough . It is louder and better than stock ,obviously . Doing straight pipes instead x pipe will be a little louder but you may get some done as well. No drone at all with the x-pipe .

I also did straight pipes to my old a7 3.0 , it was ok