S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

FLAC format playback...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Delurker
Dragging this thread back from the grave, as I'm thinking of doing the full upgrade on my 2013 s6.

I'd like to know how subterFUSE has both the MObridge DA1 and BitPlay HD connected to the Helix DSP Pro at the same time; both of those have optical out, and the DSP Pro has two digital inputs, but only one is optical - the other is coax. Same as the other device I'm considering, the Audison Bit One.

This is holding me back more than anything else. I'm currently using an iPod classic as a transport, and would like to remove the iPod's DAC and MMI AD conversion from the equation before the signal is passed to the DA1 or Bit DMI.

The Helix DSP Pro is upgradable via expansion modules they call "HEC cards."

There is a HEC card that adds Bluetooth streaming via AptX protocol.
Another HEC card adds an optical output.

There is also a HEC card that adds a 2nd optical input. I have that HEC card in my Helix Pro.

HEC Optical IN module

I also have an accessory called The Director. It's a touch screen volume control that also allows for source selection and saving of 22 DSP tuning presets. I use the Director to switch between my 2 optical sources, and control the master volume and subwoofer volume.

Director controller

The Director is not required. The Helix Pro has automatic signal source detection, so the unit can detect which source is currently playing and automatically switch to it. But the Director does give you more manual control over the source choice, plus a master volume on the DSP yields better signal to noise than using the volume on the MMI or other source device.

I set my MMI volume to 33 out of 34 maximum, which is the highest undistorted level while using the mObridge. I then control my master volume on the Director.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 06-05-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the amateur question, but is there any benefit streaming Tidal via iPhone 6 over Bluetooth with MMI?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lnferno
Sorry for the amateur question, but is there any benefit streaming Tidal via iPhone 6 over Bluetooth with MMI?

The only real benefit would be if you like the music selection on Tidal.

Tidal offers 3 levels of file resolution, Normal, High Quality and HIFI.

Normal quality is a 96k lossy compressed format. Very low quality.

High Quality is a 320k AAC format. Still lossy, but of the highest rate for the AAC format.

HIFI is FLAC lossless.

When you stream Bluetooth, the bluetooth hardware will apply its own lossy compression to the music in order to reduce file size for the wireless transfer. So if you are playing FLAC files on Tidal but streaming them via Bluetooth, you're no longer getting true FLAC resolution. You're getting Bluetooth compression which is more like the 320k AAC option above.

There are different Bluetooth protocols, such as A2DP and AptX.
The MMI is not using AptX, which is currently one of the better quality protocols.

There are aftermarket devices which use AptX, such as the Helix DSP Pro with Blueooth HEC module. The Bluetooth stream quality on these will be higher than the MMI.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the HEC modules and Director, FUSE. I was really scratching my head there. Makes the choice for DSP between Helix and Audison a no-brainer if I'm going to include a digital media player.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audison's processors are very obsolete by current standards. They don't offer parametric EQ, or global EQ adjustments in relative mode. Plus, the sound quality on them is not as good.

Audison is like a Fiat. Basic car to get you around.

Helix is like an Audi S8. Luxury and peformance, with all the technology they could pack in there

Last edited by subterFUSE; 06-07-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2016 S3 MMI

Originally Posted by Go123
I tested a few FLAC files, it was compatible with 24 bit and 96 kHz files as well. I am definitely going to fill up the two 64GB SD cards with high resolution music.
Go123-

I have a 2016 S3 w/ Tech Pack and B&O, but MMI is not able to play my 24 bit/96 kHz FLAC files. Also, which MMI manual did you snap your pic from showing support for FLAC? The MMI Navigation Plus manual is not showing that updated page.

Thank you!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laterjb
Go123-

I have a 2016 S3 w/ Tech Pack and B&O, but MMI is not able to play my 24 bit/96 kHz FLAC files. Also, which MMI manual did you snap your pic from showing support for FLAC? The MMI Navigation Plus manual is not showing that updated page.

Thank you!
I think the MMI software is different as well as the B&O system. The information was in the manual provided with the car. I think the A6/7/8 have the more advanced software and B&O processor.

I have also determined it can handle multi channel flac up to 24 bit, 176 khz.

Here is the info for your car: A3 | S3 LIMOUSINE - Bang & Olufsen
Attached Thumbnails FLAC format playback...-mmi-plus-manual.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I checked the current online MMI manual for the S6. It now states a frequency limit of 48 khz. Mine can handle 192 khz flac files. I am not sure if they actually set a new limit or it is written lower for better compatibility.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Go123
I checked the current online MMI manual for the S6. It now states a frequency limit of 48 khz. Mine can handle 192 khz flac files. I am not sure if they actually set a new limit or it is written lower for better compatibility.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I didn't notice the 48kHz limit listed for my model. Makes sense, too, that the MMI and B&O hardware in the A6/S6 platform might be capable of higher quality playback.

Interesting that they're now quoting the same 48 kHz limit for the S6, though you've experienced otherwise.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by laterjb
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I didn't notice the 48kHz limit listed for my model. Makes sense, too, that the MMI and B&O hardware in the A6/S6 platform might be capable of higher quality playback.

Interesting that they're now quoting the same 48 kHz limit for the S6, though you've experienced otherwise.
It may just down sample to 48 khz. Though to be DVD Video compliant which the MMI manual says it is, it would need to be fine with up to 24 bit /192 khz / 5.1 ch PCM or DTS streams encoded in the Video Folder of a DVD. Either way its hard to tell the difference between 48 khz and higher frequency since our ears supposedly cant hear higher than 20 khz.

Quick Reply: FLAC format playback...