S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

filled gas, epc light on, 4k max rpm warning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filled gas, epc light on, 4k max rpm warning?

last night I filled gas, started the engine and drove off. before I could even get out of the gas station, I hear a warning chime and an error message appeared. the EPC yellow light turned on and cluster said : reduced rpm, 4,000 rpm maximum. and the red lights went to 4k rpm. I stopped the car, turned it off and turned it back on. the warning went away and I was able to redline to 6500 again? I drove home last night and to work this morning, everything seems fine. I really don't want to waste time and go to the dealer if I don't have to. has this happened to anyone else? did they need to fix anything or was it a glitch?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Is the gas cap screwed on correctly?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My EPC & Check Engine lights came on today too (it's been a few days since I refueled, so probably not that). As soon as it happened, I pulled over and shut the car off and restarted it but no joy. I was only a few miles from the dealer so I slowly limped it there. The engine felt and sounded like it wanted to stall and the transmission was almost violently rough. Currently waiting for a call from the service department with the diagnosis.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

my car seems to be running fine? gas cap is installed correctly.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar experience where I went to start car and it cranked and shut down. The acc mode stayed on with radio and llights wotking and pushing start stop button did nothing. The EPC and check engine light was on, I tried shutting car off with remote and didn't work. I then pressed start buton and tried jiggling it and it finally shutoff. Waited a minute and it started up fine. Didn't bother to take it in since it hasn't happened again. I am curious if this is a problem in our cars, waiting to see what your diagnosis is. Keep us posted.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not to scare you, but I just read in the paper about a station local to me where the tanker truck driver accidentally put diesel in the gasoline tank underground. Hope that isn't it...just seems like too much of a coincidence that this would happen right after refueling.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Hope that isn't it...just seems like too much of a coincidence that this would happen right after refueling.
Fuel oil in the gas tank would produce drastically low power and clouds of white smoke. My wife poured in 5 gallons of kerosene into our Jeep Cherokee years ago.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

last night I filled gas, started the engine and drove off. before I could even get out of the gas station, I hear a warning chime and an error message appeared. the EPC yellow light turned on and cluster said : reduced rpm, 4,000 rpm maximum. and the red lights went to 4k rpm. I stopped the car, turned it off and turned it back on. the warning went away and I was able to redline to 6500 again? I drove home last night and to work this morning, everything seems fine. I really don't want to waste time and go to the dealer if I don't have to. has this happened to anyone else? did they need to fix anything or was it a glitch?

Did you fill it up with the car running? That can trigger an EPC warning in most cars.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 AM
Banned

There are a few check engine lights reported on the A6's as well:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2863282
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Latest word on my car is that a cam position sensor and some other sensor (the advisor didn't remember which) were showing faulty. They are working with Audi Techline, as apparently the two sensors are related and they're skeptical that they both failed at the same time - the idea being that there may be some fault further upstream causing the problem. I'm not thrilled that my <4,200 mile car is in the shop, but the dealer has been exceptional in their handling of everything thus far and I commend them for that.

Quick Reply: filled gas, epc light on, 4k max rpm warning?