S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

aftermarket driving lights

Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket driving lights

So I picked up some Hella HID projectors and a set of lower grill insets with the openings for the ACC cameras. (note: my car does not have ACC). The fitment is spot on in terms of being able to house these in the bumper where the ACC cameras would go.

Name:  IMG_0636.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0638.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  77.9 KB

The big question is whether to do it myself or have it done professionally. I have a decent amount of tools and the ability to do it, but what I do not have necessarily is the time. I usually find that I can get things done very professionally, but to do so takes me like 3-4x longer than it would a professional shop with everything at their disposal and the years of expertise. Of course, I live in New England, so there aren't the huge number of custom car shops like in SoCal of SoFlo either.

The mounting would likely include some fabrication of brackets, and custom switches since I want to be able to operate these independently of the headlights. The way they come from the factory is that they are meant to splice into your existing light lines.

Last edited by Vijay; 03-01-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Looks like a fun project. Where do you live exactly?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
The big question is whether to do it myself or have it done professionally.

The mounting would likely include some fabrication of brackets, and custom switches since I want to be able to operate these independently of the headlights.
Very nice looking lights. Hella always has the good stuff.

You could break the project down to two parts. Mounting them is not going to be easy either way. Electrical connection isn't bad.

What does the back of the lights look like? Do they mount on a flat plate or a bracket. Is there any provision for adjustment? With the tight tolerance of the grill openings, triangulation would be the way to go.

On the electrical side, do you want them controlled by an ignition circuit? I have a pair of 55W halogens on my DD and I sometimes forget to turn them off when I park.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Very nice looking lights. Hella always has the good stuff.

You could break the project down to two parts. Mounting them is not going to be easy either way. Electrical connection isn't bad.

What does the back of the lights look like? Do they mount on a flat plate or a bracket. Is there any provision for adjustment? With the tight tolerance of the grill openings, triangulation would be the way to go.

On the electrical side, do you want them controlled by an ignition circuit? I have a pair of 55W halogens on my DD and I sometimes forget to turn them off when I park.
I am having them installed by a tuning shop. I have popped out the grilles on my car and there is definitely enough room to mount the lights. The trick will be getting them aligned with the outlet holes in the grill. There may need to be some cutting/bracket fabrication that needs to be done. They mount by hanging from an upper bracket. Ther rear of the lights hook to some ballast unit which also need to be mounted.

Looks like the are designed to splice into the existing lighting system, but I want independent control so I am looking to tap into a ignition switched circuit with a seperate switch. The switch, along with my laser jammer switch are going to mounted on a panel that will sit in the cubby in front of the shifter.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Work in progress teaser......

Name:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  126.8 KB

The front bumper cover is off the car. You can see the custom fabricated brackets and the Hella HID driving lamps in the area that would normally house the ACC cameras. Laser jammer also being installed while the bumper is off with 4 front mounted pods. All controls will be in the cubby in the center console in front of the shifter. Will post full pics over the weekend. Picking up the car tomorrow or Saturday along with APR flash and Stasis rear sway bar. Summer wheels/tires going on also !!! Can't wait !!!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it difficult to remove the old grills?