S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Feeling of Stalling / Dying

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I received the steering update already. I did not ask for it, either. They simply performed it while my car was in for the fuel line recall.
Major eye roll. Of course you did. I wish my dealership would get it together. Anyhow, so have you noticed any improvements now that you've had the update?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I received the steering update already. I did not ask for it, either. They simply performed it while my car was in for the fuel line recall.
That's funny. I specifically asked for it and they gave me crazy about doing it. But hey, they did update my MMI without me asking.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you, some one finally is talking sense

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Another observation is that the tranny is resistant to downshifting to 1st gear if the car is in motion even the slightest bit. If you don't come to a complete stop for at least half a second, it stays in 2nd gear. When you restart in 2nd, the rpms and torque are too low and you hesitate. If you don't slow to under around 5 mph when turning, you usually stay in 3rd gear and same problem exists when trying to accelerate out of the turn. RPM's are too low for the torque required.

A simple fix for this problem may be a tranny remap to get it to kick down to a lower gear more readily. Driving in manual mode and dropping to a lower gear than D/S usually does seems to alleviate the lag.
This is exactly right
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's definitely a transmission issue. My S4 did the same thing. The seven speed is always upshifting to highest gear in D for fuel economy that when you come into a turn fast and slow in the turn like I always do or did it has trouble figuring what gear to catch, then when you give a little more gas cause of the delay that's when it jumps. I just let it catch the second gear before I gas it when driving normal, but if You were driving spirited or needed to jump into traffic all you would have to do is set it in 2 or 3 and it will tear around any turn in manual we all know that. It's not as bad in S but is still possible if anything it would have to be a remap of the transmission like someone said but I doubt they will see it as a big issue. We'll just have adjust are driving habits like I have already learned to do.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 3miked
It's definitely a transmission issue. My S4 did the same thing. The seven speed is always upshifting to highest gear in D for fuel economy that when you come into a turn fast and slow in the turn like I always do or did it has trouble figuring what gear to catch, then when you give a little more gas cause of the delay that's when it jumps. I just let it catch the second gear before I gas it when driving normal, but if You were driving spirited or needed to jump into traffic all you would have to do is set it in 2 or 3 and it will tear around any turn in manual we all know that. It's not as bad in S but is still possible if anything it would have to be a remap of the transmission like someone said but I doubt they will see it as a big issue. We'll just have adjust are driving habits like I have already learned to do.
Perhaps this will be corrected with the new transmission for 2016?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 3miked
Interesting to see this thread revived.

I agree with you about changing your driving habits; I've had to alter mine in expectation that the car will stall/lag. I've had a few instances where the car has lost power completely, then snapped back on and catches hard. I've also been stuck out in front of oncoming traffic which was not pleasant.

I finally bit the bullet and did the APR tune the other day. The HP/torque increase is noticeable, but it hasn't completely solved the lag issue. I'm realistic - I understand that any turbo will have inherent lag... But it's always seemed like something a bit more with my S6. I'm going tomorrow to further look at exhaust system options with my local shop; the owner of the shop said that he has a few customers who have essentially eliminated the stutter/lag with a combination of tune, exhaust, and a high flow air filter. This remains to be seen, but I will report back.

Another thought... Are you the only person who drives your car? My husband drives mine, and admittedly he likes to drive like a 90 year old woman. I drive my cars hard and thrash on the S6. Then he'll get in and drive it like a Prius. I have to think that the adaptive transmission is struggling to remap and act according to our two very different driving styles... Others have echoed this sentiment. When my father comes into town, he beats the sh*t out of my car. When I get it back, it drives like a champ. Then hubby gets in and it's all over.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by birdyA6
Interesting to see this thread revived.

I agree with you about changing your driving habits; I've had to alter mine in expectation that the car will stall/lag. I've had a few instances where the car has lost power completely, then snapped back on and catches hard. I've also been stuck out in front of oncoming traffic which was not pleasant.

I finally bit the bullet and did the APR tune the other day. The HP/torque increase is noticeable, but it hasn't completely solved the lag issue. I'm realistic - I understand that any turbo will have inherent lag... But it's always seemed like something a bit more with my S6. I'm going tomorrow to further look at exhaust system options with my local shop; the owner of the shop said that he has a few customers who have essentially eliminated the stutter/lag with a combination of tune, exhaust, and a high flow air filter. This remains to be seen, but I will report back.
It sounded earlier as if you thought this issue was NOT the same as the lag issue, but now you specifically call it lag. Have you had the TSB performed that I posted about here?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...issue-2867009/
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
It sounded earlier as if you thought this issue was NOT the same as the lag issue, but now you specifically call it lag. Have you had the TSB performed that I posted about here?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...issue-2867009/
You are right - they are definitely two separate issues, but I was generalizing and lumping them into one; I should have been more specific. Inherent turbo lag, and the absolute loss of power for a split second are totally different animals. I was more or less responding to the specifics in the post I quoted.

Since having the APR tune, I haven't experienced the stalling/dying issue that I had initially posted about here. Time will tell as I've only had it for about a week - I will certainly continue to update.

I was actually just reading your thread and got a little excited that there may be a fix. I'm going to call my dealership in the morning and see what they have to say.