S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:15 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ECU and TCU updates

2013 S6 with the "B" ECU software. Went in for service 5/27/15

I've had the dreaded hesitation just a couple times but in general I think the throttle response should be quicker. I also had overly harsh 3>2 downshifts in S mode. Tech verified both issues and updated ECU and TCU.

ECU version:
Had 0006, now have 0008
TSB performed was: 2032472/2

TCU version:
Had 0009, now have 0011
TSB performed was: 2035049/1
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kem
2013 S6 with the "B" ECU software. Went in for service 5/27/15

I've had the dreaded hesitation just a couple times but in general I think the throttle response should be quicker. I also had overly harsh 3>2 downshifts in S mode. Tech verified both issues and updated ECU and TCU.

ECU version:
Had 0006, now have 0008
TSB performed was: 2032472/2

TCU version:
Had 0009, now have 0011
TSB performed was: 2035049/1
how do you determine if you have a software update needed ?
I havent been near the dealer in 6 years
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you have access to a vag-com you can see what version your on. Then you can see what other owners with the same ECU software are getting upgraded to.

Audi won't upgrade you unless you complain of a problem.

Originally Posted by allenst
how do you determine if you have a software update needed ?
I havent been near the dealer in 6 years
Old 06-26-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took my 2013 S6 to the dealer today for the throttle lag & harsh downshift issues. No codes but they confirmed the issues & performed TSB 2035049/1 SVM UPDATE for TCM.

Even after a few miles home from the dealer, it's an entirely different animal. The 2-second pause taking off at full throttle is gone - maybe there's a tenth of a second or two before taking off like being shot from a gun. Downshifts in sport mode are silky smooth. Acceleration when getting back on the throttle after a turn is instantaneous. So very much better.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love to see this issue being discussed. I raised it on the A8 forum a month after I got my A8L in 2013. It was poo poo-ed just like the RS6 DRC issue. HA! The lag is very real. And I guess it can be fixed. Now riddle me this....why did Audi put it there?

Mike
Old 07-03-2015, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, I have owned my 2012 S6 for nearly a year and noticed the throttle lag almost instantly after I took ownership of the car but as the car is so good in all other respects I just let it go. After seeing this thread I jumped at the chance to get rid of this issue as in some instances it can be very dangerous, if joining traffic at a roundabout or on a slip road.
I live in the UK where there are significantly less S6's about so the dealers have much less idea how to deal with them over here. I took my car in to try and get the issue resolved armed with all the TSB's and info from this thread but unfortunately, Audi UK cant use/don't have access to the TSB's mentioned on here as they are issued by Audi North America.
The good news for me is that Audi have agreed that there is an issue and are currently trying to sort out a fix. They have tried a gearbox software update which has helped a little with the issue from a standing start but it is still very noticeable when reducing speed and trying to get back on the power, there is sometimes a good 2-3 seconds before the engine resumes power application after the accelerator is pressed.
The car has just been in the dealership where they had a laptop recording some 600+ parameters and readings during a series of test drives and have sent these off to Audi UK to see if they can come up with a fix for the problem.

Has anyone out there who has had the APR stage 1 remap installed found that the left foot braking option alleviated the lag issue? I am wondering if there is a delay set in the software that prohibits throttle application for an amount of time after brake pedal use.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can attest that getting the latest ECU software upgrade from Audi did NOT resolve the lag issue for me. I'm pretty over the moon about my new to me S6, but the throttle issue is noticeable and dangerous at times. Given the engineering marvel that this engine is I have hard time believing we have to deal with so much lag from a a high performance engine.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kem
I can attest that getting the latest ECU software upgrade from Audi did NOT resolve the lag issue for me. I'm pretty over the moon about my new to me S6, but the throttle issue is noticeable and dangerous at times. Given the engineering marvel that this engine is I have hard time believing we have to deal with so much lag from a a high performance engine.

I think it's the TCU update that resolves the issue.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got the latest TCU version at the same time. Still noticeable lag. When I floor it, it downshifts and visually the revs climb instantly for the new gear but it just sits there at 5k~ish rpm then goes about 2 seconds later.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:46 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by kem
I got the latest TCU version at the same time. Still noticeable lag. When I floor it, it downshifts and visually the revs climb instantly for the new gear but it just sits there at 5k~ish rpm then goes about 2 seconds later.
That sounds like a different problem from what most are describing would be fixed by software. Sounds like it could be mechatronics or clutch pack related. Maybe fluid related. Was it ever changed?

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)