S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Changing Color of Interior LED Ambiance Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Color of Interior LED Ambiance Lighting

Hey guys,

I was looking at the marketing videos for the new 2014 Mercedes S Class and there is one that features changing interior lighting colors (up to 7 hues) (http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...LASS-CCF-D.gif). It was pretty sweet and got me thinking...

Has anyone tried to change the color of the interior lighting? I would think covering it with a thin layer of "film paper" could do it. Kind of a sloppy solution if you ask me. I most certainly wouldn't want to lose the stock feel. Any way to change the bulbs? Or other thoughts?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tony7314
HAny way to change the bulbs? Or other thoughts?
There are no bulbs to change, per se. Changeable colours most likely requires three different LEDs per assembly (RGB) plus the software to run things. I suppose it's possible to switch out each individual LED assembly with one of a different colour, but that will be onerous, possibly expensive and, alas, still static.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Deerhunter made a good point; I'll just add that while I don't know for sure, I would suspect that many (most?) of the LEDs are actually surface-mount technology (SMT) components that have been wave-soldered to a printed circuit board, and then use light pipes to "feed" the light to where they want it. Changing the colors would mean physically desoldering them from the circuit board. And like Deerhunter said, this method would be a static change: once you solder on a new LED, that's your new color.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Deerhunter made a good point; I'll just add that while I don't know for sure, I would suspect that many (most?) of the LEDs are actually surface-mount technology (SMT) components that have been wave-soldered to a printed circuit board, and then use light pipes to "feed" the light to where they want it. Changing the colors would mean physically desoldering them from the circuit board. And like Deerhunter said, this method would be a static change: once you solder on a new LED, that's your new color.
Brilliant. I'll take your word over any other research I have found online. If you know what "surface-mount technology" is, you're ok in my book . I still think you can do a hack job and cut some film paper to the correct dimensions and cover the lighting under the seats and in the doors. Maybe I will try it one day :/

Thanks!