S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

C7 "Hidden Gems" List

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default C7 "Hidden Gems" List

For those that may be interested, here's a link to a list of C7 "Hidden Gems".

https://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...1#post24452531
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More on hidden gems of the S6

Originally Posted by snagitseven
For those that may be interested, here's a link to a list of C7 "Hidden Gems".

https://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...1#post24452531
Just want to pile on about the hidden gems and to give more props to the S6.
I have a 2016 S6 Premium Plus; got it with 32k miles on it a few months ago. It is an absolutely amazing car - total sleeper that is both extremely practical yet also has incredible performance.
I think it's one of the best all around cars ever and is truly under-rated. Probably one of the best used-car buys as there seems to be plenty of inventory right now as well.
(FWIW, I am an Audi addict and have owned '86 Coupe GT, '89 200QTW, 2000 A6 4.2 and 2001 A6 4.2.).

Additional Pros
- Damn, it really is fast. 2013 model has 0-60 in 3.7 @ Car and Driver. 2016 is 3.9 @ Car and Driver. Audi claims 4.4 for 2016. Personally have recorded 4.5 with another person on board. Sub 4 puts it in truly exceptional company; quicker than the RS4! Highway acceleration and the ability to drop pretty much anything is awesome. I've driven an Aston Martin Vanquish ('18) that was noisier but likely not quicker from 80-100.
- Interior is amazing, esp the seats. Quality is incredible. The interior smells are still awesome; remarkable for a 3 year old car.
- Adjustable suspension. Love the ability to raise and avoid curbs. Funny how that's the interface/feature I pay the most attention to
- MPG - around 17.5 city, 23 hwy. Compared to my 2001 A6 which was 14/19, this is a big improvement. Considering the HP of this car, it's actually pretty remarkable
- Backup camera
- For the most part, the infotainment system is great
- Exhaust note and Dynamic mode. Love the exhaust note, suspension, diff, and more aggressive shift behavior in Dynamic Mode. But also love you can turn it back to "Comfort" in an instant. So friggin cool. My daughter's friend who just got his license was so impressed with the exhaust, he got a bypass valve installed in his Chevy Tahoe to have a similar deep exhaust note. Incredibly, even my neighbor thinks "your car sounds cool".
- Quick steering with relatively low body lean
- Incredible ride quality that exudes a sort of confidence. It's amazing, even my kids think it rides great
- Cargo. I can put my bike in the back with wheels on with the seats folded. Or take off the wheels and hide everything in the trunk - believe it or not, one of the primary reasons for buying this car
- Rear seats fold flat
- 10K service maintenance intervals. Hopefully this reduces costs in the long run
- Beautiful turbos and how they route in to the engine (remove plastic cover to see)
- Paddle shifters - though now taken for granted, are well placed and it's awesome to easily downshift
- Adaptive cruise control that even holds speed on downhills/applies the brakes automagically
- Door puddle lights can be easily and
inexpensively upgraded inexpensively upgraded
; $18 vs $200 or so for Audi OEM. And so cool how there are variations to choose from
- Doors lock/unlock by pressing the button on the door handle instead of having to push the key fob
- Door key can be retracted from remote making it easier to carry if going on a jog/workout
- Base stereo system. I gotta say the sound quality is pretty good and you can crank the volume

Cons
- Huge blind spot; really difficult to see cars on the left side that are close to you. Remedy - which really works:
Blind Spot Mirrors Blind Spot Mirrors
- Lack of steering feel and feeling of potential oversteer. In fast sweeping turns, the front end doesn't seem to take an edge and hunker down. You get the feeling the rear end will come loose if pressed. Would love to track it to see the real limits and behavior though.
- Sport Seats are heated but don't have a cooling option
- Upon start up, the radio turns on even if I have left it off prior
- Doesn't have a front camera; I believe 2017+ does
- When talking on the phone (iphone Xr) on the in-car audio - on occasion, the convo will drop. I have to switch the phone off of MMI to the phone to continue the conversation
- When cold, going from a stop can be herky jerky
- Engaging reverse sometimes takes a while to engage
- You can't simultaneously raise the car while parking while the rear camera is on
- Auto Stop takes a while to kick in
- Seats are aggressively bolstered which makes ingress/egress difficult. That said, once seated, awesome.
- Maintenance. Sh*t, right after I bought it had to take it in for a recall, new brakes, and front license plate holder. It was $5k for the brakes from an Audi dealer.
- No Apple Car Play. The main downside is being able to broadcast your Apple maps/directions to the monitor. I believe this is available from 2017 though.

Oddities
- amazing that there is no actual dipstick
- there is no room in the engine bay

Overall, the thing that is so cool about Audis is that you look forward to driving them every chance you get. The down side is mysterious issues and high maintenance costs.
This said, I look forward to driving the S6 more than any other car I've driven.

Last edited by twain; 07-10-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi twain. Agreed it is an awesome beast. The 2016 did have a front camera as an option in the Driver Assistance Package. For C7.5 MY 17 and 18, it was moved to the Prestige package only. You can also add CarPlay to MY 16 relatively cheaply and easily (many threads on this). For the Stop/Start, it can be manipulated with how hard you press the brake pedal. "Stop/Start Brake Pedal Action. For North American 2013 C7 owners and some ROW. Whenever the start/stop function is activate, the auto-stop feature can be modulated by how hard the brake pedal is pressed. Light pressure: the engine stays on, heavy pressure: the engine turns off." Enjoy your car.

Below is a 16 with the front camera just below the middle two rings.

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 08-30-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@BryanB8.5 - thanks so much for the additional info! This is great stuff to know and archive here.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twain
Just want to pile on about the hidden gems and to give more props to the S6.

- Adjustable suspension. Love the ability to raise and avoid curbs. Funny how that's the interface/feature I pay the most attention to
Is that standard equipment? I have been looking at both S5 and S6 models. In the S5 with the S Sport option you get "Sport adaptive damping suspension" in addition to the sport rear differential but I noticed the S6 the S Sport package includes the sport rear differential but does not list the adaptive suspension. Also are those the same thing? Also, also, is the adjustable suspension air bags? I have a fear of those tearing. I don't believe they are just checking.

Cons

- Seats are aggressively bolstered which makes ingress/egress difficult. That said, once seated, awesome.
I wonder if in the future the will come up with seats that open up when you are getting in or out but then squeeze you when you start the car.

Oddities
- amazing that there is no actual dipstick
I prefer to have a real dipstick so I can see what the oil looks like.

Last edited by therealman; 02-25-2021 at 07:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EdwardRice (06-20-2022)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by therealman
Is that standard equipment? I have been looking at both S5 and S6 models. In the S5 with the S Sport option you get "Sport adaptive damping suspension" in addition to the sport rear differential but I noticed the S6 the S Sport package includes the sport rear differential but does not list the adaptive suspension. Also are those the same thing? Also, also, is the adjustable suspension air bags? I have a fear of those tearing. I don't believe they are just checking.

I wonder if in the future the will come up with seats that open up when you are getting in or out but then squeeze you when you start the car.

I prefer to have a real dipstick so I can see what the oil looks like.
The sport differential sends more power to the rear wheels giving a RWD bias. This means you can get a little oversteer/tail out behavior. The S6 does have an air suspension which is fantastic, esp for going up steep driveways or parking around curbs.