S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Bye bye S6 hello 911s

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye bye S6 hello 911s

After some deliberation, I have moved from my APR tuned S6 to the new 911S.
I was happy with the car immediately after the tune, but a year after the tune I realized the car (although very a fast car) lacked in driving satisfaction for me. The car is heavy bottom line, but does perform well for its weight.

As I was pondering what I may do, my S6 experienced the minor issue of a little coolant leak from the o rings on one side of the turbochargers. I took the car in for service and sure enough Audi declined the repair to be covered by warranty because of the APR tune.

I mentioned that issue was happening to many stock S6's but they didn't care. I put up a bit of fuss and my dealership covered half the cost of the repair. I fully understand Audi's position, but I was starting to question my decision of tuning the car. I'm hearing more and more small issues with the S6 power train it decided to make a change to a vehicle that does not need a tune to satisfy my performance wants.

The S6 is a very nice car, but i will not miss the lag the car suffers from and it's heavy weight.

This is a very good forum, but now I have to move on to the 911 forum.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congratulations, Enjoy
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enjoy

The 911s is a totally different kind of vehicle. I trust you'll enjoy the incredible driving dynamics but it may not be so great for your back seat passengers. If you want a sports car, you buy one. If you want a grand touring sedan you might buy an S6. I am sure, BTW, that there is a tune for the 911S!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

im thinking of jumping to a 991 also in about 14 months once my s6 lease is up. im assuming your going to be frequenting 6speed and rennlist now?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's too late now, but I think I would have fought AOA on this. The mods you made have to have a link to the failure. For example, if you had a tune and the windshield wiper failed, that should still be under warranty because, obviously, the tune had nothing to do with it.

It's just as clear to me that a tune almost certainly couldn't have caused o-rings to leak. Or if AOA belives that the tune had anything to do with it, it would be up to AOA to explain just how that occurred.

Too often there are people making decisions on warranty claims that don't understand the law, or who are working from guidelines that are based on a misunderstanding of the law.

But ultimately, when mods are in play, it's up to the owner to understand his rights, and make sure that the warrantor lives up to their end of the contract.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
After some deliberation, I have moved from my APR tuned S6 to the new 911S.
I was happy with the car immediately after the tune, but a year after the tune I realized the car (although very a fast car) lacked in driving satisfaction for me. The car is heavy bottom line, but does perform well for its weight.

As I was pondering what I may do, my S6 experienced the minor issue of a little coolant leak from the o rings on one side of the turbochargers. I took the car in for service and sure enough Audi declined the repair to be covered by warranty because of the APR tune.

I mentioned that issue was happening to many stock S6's but they didn't care. I put up a bit of fuss and my dealership covered half the cost of the repair. I fully understand Audi's position, but I was starting to question my decision of tuning the car. I'm hearing more and more small issues with the S6 power train it decided to make a change to a vehicle that does not need a tune to satisfy my performance wants.

The S6 is a very nice car, but i will not miss the lag the car suffers from and it's heavy weight.

This is a very good forum, but now I have to move on to the 911 forum.

Cheers
Just curious....how did you first discover the leak and where was it. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the 911. I have a GT3 on order and can't wait to get it. Keeping the S6 though.

Vijay - the leak is at the top of the turbo where the lines enter. It is right under the cover if you take it off. I believe I was one of the first few folks to post about the issue in January. There are pictures in my albums, I can't seem to post them in my post though. You could check my albums to see where.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Congrats on the 911. I have a GT3 on order and can't wait to get it. Keeping the S6 though.

Vijay - the leak is at the top of the turbo where the lines enter. It is right under the cover if you take it off. I believe I was one of the first few folks to post about the issue in January. There are pictures in my albums, I can't seem to post them in my post though. You could check my albums to see where.
Thanks!!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Addiction
It's too late now, but I think I would have fought AOA on this. The mods you made have to have a link to the failure. For example, if you had a tune and the windshield wiper failed, that should still be under warranty because, obviously, the tune had nothing to do with it.

It's just as clear to me that a tune almost certainly couldn't have caused o-rings to leak. Or if AOA belives that the tune had anything to do with it, it would be up to AOA to explain just how that occurred.

Too often there are people making decisions on warranty claims that don't understand the law, or who are working from guidelines that are based on a misunderstanding of the law.

But ultimately, when mods are in play, it's up to the owner to understand his rights, and make sure that the warrantor lives up to their end of the contract.
He lives in Canada, so Magnussen-Moss does not apply.

Does Canada have a similar statute?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
He lives in Canada, so Magnussen-Moss does not apply.

Does Canada have a similar statute?
Ooh, I should have noticed the Canada location. I don't know whether Canada has a similar statute.

Quick Reply: Bye bye S6 hello 911s