S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi Care math

Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Care math

I had my car in the dealership for the 5K service today. I asked what the 15, 25, 35 and 45K services cost and the rep kindly gave me printouts for each. The total came to $2,748, labor and parts including $45K. So I bought an Audi Care package for $920 (+ $64 tax). Just the $15K and 25K services cost $884 combined. The 35K service is $1,531! Could it really be that I saved 64% with the package? I didn't buy it when I bought the car because I was misinformed that one had to wait 10K miles between services. I was now informed that its 10K mi or a year after the last service, so I can service the car yearly even if I don't drive 10K miles per year (usually 8K per year). Why would anybody who drives 35K or more in less than 5 years not buy the policy?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You're basically getting a discount on the service costs by paying for it up front. Agreed it's a bargain if you use the dealership for your maintenance. If you use an independent shop or do it yourself, it's a tougher decision. FYI, I paid about $100 less for it than you did. MSRP is in the $800's I believe and some dealerships will give it to you at invoice, 1/2 off, or even free when you buy the car. In the case of my S4, I got it for 1/2 off at time of purchase.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems like the prices the service dept. quoted to the OP are unrealistically high. Audi claims about a 35% savings with Audi Care but it's still a good deal if you're going to have the dealer service the car.

Here's an Audi Care analysis I posted last year:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2842903
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Agreed it's a bargain if you use the dealership for your maintenance. If you use an independent shop or do it yourself, it's a tougher decision.
+1

I use an independent shop for my general maintenance and I knew I would get a tune, so Audicare wasn't worthwhile to me.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Stasis tune

Thanks for all the replies. While I was there today I had a chat with their guy who handles Stasis products - they had a large Stasis sign prominently displayed. He said that that Stasis was coming out with an S6 tune in the next couple of months and the dealership would handle all issues related to warranty work, either through Audi or Stasis. If that's true, the tune may be worth it because I couldn't handle the warranty issues with aftermarket tunes. He talked about over 500 hp and he said prices usually run in the $1800 range. Comments?

The only car I will service now is the 1987 Conquest/Starion that I raced way back when. I recognize 95% of the parts! This is my first Audi (I fell in love and made an impulse purchase on the way to buy a Porsche - I know, I'm a fickle cad) and I don't know of any shops close by in Central NJ that I would trust. I agree that the dealership prices were high but they're standard at this dealership - they had them pre-printed. Dealership rhymes with hell! I am way too old to get under a car again. Done hundreds of hours on my back so now I watch.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I read your thread

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It seems like the prices the service dept. quoted to the OP are unrealistically high. Audi claims about a 35% savings with Audi Care but it's still a good deal if you're going to have the dealer service the car.

Here's an Audi Care analysis I posted last year:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2842903
This dealership is much more expensive than the prices you show. They get $189 for an oil change (Castrol, full synthetic). That's high, but this is the only dealership between home and work and they always offer a nice loaner (S4 or A7). They did the various TSBs (transmission, steering) without a bit of backtalk. They were slow on the fuel line replacement (3 days) but I had a nice loaner. I'm sure I would have gotten a better deal on Audi Care when I bought the car, but it was my birthday and I wanted it immediately (really) and didn't realize what service costs on an Audi. They pulled the car I wanted from a dealer in PA and I had it in a couple of days. 5% off wasn't a bad deal, but I've seen better here. Got a good trade - I think about $2500 more than from the Porshe dealer so I was satisfied.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CreoS4
+1

I use an independent shop for my general maintenance and I knew I would get a tune, so Audicare wasn't worthwhile to me.
Personally, I don't see how you'd save much at an indie vs. getting Audi Care. Every quote I've seen for the S-Tronic filter/fluid change alone is at least $300 at an indie (vs $450) at the dealer. Throw in just the parts cost for two oil filters and 16 qts of synthetic and even if your indie guy charges NOTHING for labor you're within a few hundred of the cost of Audi Care.

Personally, I'd rather have the dealer do my service if only to be sure I'm getting the latest TSBs done, etc. and if there ever is a problem that might/might not be covered by warranty, a dealer is more likely to try and help you out if you've built a relationship with them.

My $0.02.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Personally, I don't see how you'd save much at an indie vs. getting Audi Care.
I'm tuned (so I don't want to risk the TD1 designation) and I won't be keeping the car for more than 3 years. I probably won't even hit 20,000 miles when I trade it in for my next car. My 2011 S4 only had 16,000 miles on it when I traded it in for the S6...
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CreoS4
I'm tuned (so I don't want to risk the TD1 designation) and I won't be keeping the car for more than 3 years. I probably won't even hit 20,000 miles when I trade it in for my next car. My 2011 S4 only had 16,000 miles on it when I traded it in for the S6...
But if you DO have some sort of issue that requires warranty work, they're going to find out you're tuned anyway. So I guess I don't see why that would be a factor.

As far as not owning the car that long, that makes more sense. I always rationalize that I'll be keeping the car for years and years...and then, like you, sell my S4 (or my BMW before that) at 20k and buy something new.

But I think my S6 is here to stay (at least until we get some more Tesla Supercharger stations here in the NorthEast).
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
But if you DO have some sort of issue that requires warranty work, they're going to find out you're tuned anyway. So I guess I don't see why that would be a factor.
Depending on the warranty work, I can always have the car reverted back to stock before bringing it in. If there are no problems with the car, then there is no point for me to get flagged in Audi's system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Care math