S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

APR Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZZMD1991
I would tune the car with the expectation that it voids the manufacturer's powertrain warranty, it just is common sense....
I also agree that AOA wouldn't want to set a precedent by honoring warranty claims for a product that, essentially, no longer reflects a product they manufactured....
That said, isn't this the same engine as in the R8 and Bentley that is tuned to produce in excess of 600 HP? I'm sure the block and valvetrain can handle the tune, but the DSG?....That's another story....
^ Welcome. Nice poignant first post!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZZZMD1991
That said, isn't this the same engine as in the R8 and Bentley that is tuned to produce in excess of 600 HP? I'm sure the block and valvetrain can handle the tune, but the DSG?....That's another story....
The R8 used either a V8 or V10, both naturally-aspirated. No relationship to the V8TT at all. I would hazard that the Bentley uses a similar version of the V8TT as the S8, which has been strengthened and improved to handle the additional power.

I'm not saying that the S6/7 version of this engine cannot deal with more power. I am saying that the factory thought it prudent to make some judicious improvements before turning up the wick. Take it for what you will.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
The R8 used either a V8 or V10, both naturally-aspirated. No relationship to the V8TT at all. I would hazard that the Bentley uses a similar version of the V8TT as the S8, which has been strengthened and improved to handle the additional power.

I'm not saying that the S6/7 version of this engine cannot deal with more power. I am saying that the factory thought it prudent to make some judicious improvements before turning up the wick. Take it for what you will.
For those of you who may have been around in the B5 S4/RS4 days, you will recall that the B5 S4 could be tuned to power levels far beyond the stock RS4 with no problem whatsoever, even though the RS4 had different cams, internals, etc. My worry is more the transmission. If Audi chose not to use DSG in the RS7 due to power handling concerns, then it worries me to put that kind of strain on the system.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto for me...

Originally Posted by Vijay
For those of you who may have been around in the B5 S4/RS4 days, you will recall that the B5 S4 could be tuned to power levels far beyond the stock RS4 with no problem whatsoever, even though the RS4 had different cams, internals, etc. My worry is more the transmission. If Audi chose not to use DSG in the RS7 due to power handling concerns, then it worries me to put that kind of strain on the system.
Watching one of 'my' techs replace the clutch in his soon-to-be stage 3 B5S4 reminded me that Audi is smarter than most of us. If I end up tuning this car it won't be for at least another year...by that time I expect there will be ample inductive evidence for whether the APR tune exceeds the limits (over time) of our transmission. Also, as much as I trust Audi and the APR reputation, I still can't fully comprehend the heat issues associated with placing the turbos in the 'V'.

So I will wait and watch.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCondor
Watching one of 'my' techs replace the clutch in his soon-to-be stage 3 B5S4 reminded me that Audi is smarter than most of us. If I end up tuning this car it won't be for at least another year...by that time I expect there will be ample inductive evidence for whether the APR tune exceeds the limits (over time) of our transmission. Also, as much as I trust Audi and the APR reputation, I still can't fully comprehend the heat issues associated with placing the turbos in the 'V'.

So I will wait and watch.
Here's my take on the turbo placement and issue of heat: On one level, this placement makes a lot of sense. Heat rises. As such the heat will stay away from many engine components. However, there doesn't seem to be much ventilation up there. I don't see how that engine cover doesn't completely melt quite honestly. And the hood must get pretty cooked also. Can't be good for the paint. What about paint protection film on the hood? Anyone having any problems with this due the the hood being cooked from the turbos?

Last edited by Vijay; 11-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
Here's my take on the turbo placement and issue of heat: On one level, this placement makes a lot of sense. Heat rises. As such the heat will stay away from many engine components. However, there doesn't seem to be much ventilation up there. I don't see how that engine cover doesn't completely melt quite honestly. And the hood must get pretty cooked also. Can't be good for the paint. What about paint protection film on the hood? Anyone having any problems with this do the the hood being cooked from the turbos?
No issues on my hood with the film on...however, I would expect that if the engine cover were removed you would see bubbling of more than just the paint...
Old 11-23-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mike2489
First time posting here. I've had my S6 with APR tune for about three weeks and noticed some whistling noise under heavy load above 2500rpm. It sounds a lot like turbo whine but it wasn't present before. Wondering if anyone else is having this. Don't mind it to much since the power more then makes up for it.
(First time poster too!)

Just had the APR tune done yesterday. I notice a new sound as well around 2500 RPM. At first I thought it was tire squeal from the additional torque, but it happens at any speed at that RPM. I'm guessing too that it's the turbos but it doesn't "natural" to me because it's choppy and lower pitched.

Agreed the power more than makes it up for me, but makes me wonder a bit what's going on there under the hood...
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phknlwyr
I do not just want to smoke people. I want to embarrass them for having the temerity to even challenge me.
This comment seriously made me LOL!

Anyways, sorry for bumping an older thread. I got an S6 last month and doing my research. Lots of good dialogue in this thread.

I also recognize some names from the B5 S4 days several years ago. It's cool to see a lot of the old-schoolers in an S6 now. I just ordered the APR mobile dongle and looking forward to getting the tune put on next week.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lnferno
This comment seriously made me LOL!

2nd that! D@mn lawyers and their big words (>_<)!! (looking up temerity)