S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

after recall and updates, anyone elses car feel slower?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after recall and updates, anyone elses car feel slower?

ive driven the car a good amount now after the updates to the steering, tcm and ecu. I don't know if its because the gears seem like they change smoother or not, but my car feels a lot slower than before they performed the updates, is it just in my head or has anyone else felt the same way?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
ive driven the car a good amount now after the updates to the steering, tcm and ecu. I don't know if its because the gears seem like they change smoother or not, but my car feels a lot slower than before they performed the updates, is it just in my head or has anyone else felt the same way?
I obviously don't have the S-tronic in my A6 but I just had the transmission update on my 8 speed tip done. I observed the same thing in D mode. (S feels about the same as before). I believe you're correct about the shift points being changed to eliminate the jerkiness reported by many with both transmissions, It does feel smoother but takes a bit more pedal to keep each gear from upshifting than pre-update. I'm getting used to it after driving for awhile.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
Yes, I've had my S6 about 10 mos now and it does seem slower.....But my wife's S4 now seems like a tortoise and it seemed really fast to me before the S6.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. One thing I've noticed is the car isn't as eager to downshift when I want more power. I have to really get on the gas before it does.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree. Had my '14 S6 in two weeks ago for the fuel line and they ended up having to replace the fuel pump and new version of software. Care seems to be more sluggish on downshifts and has a little pause or hesitation before revving. thought it might be me, but the more I drive it, the more convinced I am that after the service work, the car is less performance wise, especially in auto mode.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Another thing I've noticed with the update (on my tiptronic at least) is when you change from D to S on the shift lever, the transmission drops down two gears instead of one as it did previously. This is a positive IMO. Does the S Tronic do the same?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My take is that, in Comfort mode, the throttle is less sensitive (Sport is as immediate as ever), requiring more throttle travel to motivate the car and effect a downshift. I actually like the change, as before you still couldn't use more than a third of the pedal travel before downshifting unnecessarily and/or destroying the speed limit in town.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

if anything it seems a little smoother
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I only had my S6 three weeks and am still getting adjusted to it...but my initial reaction is that in auto mode the car is a little lethargic - I expected more and quicker response. In Dynamic mode the car is almost too responsive and the downshift to first gear is a little rough - like a thump. In my S4, I had no adjustment issues - the car had a great response in all modes and was very fun and agile. I appreciate the fact that the S6 is a very different car - bigger. heavier and more luxurious, much smoother and more refined with more power - but not yet as much fun to drive for me as my S4. Hopefully it gets better.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 'personality' of my S6 feels different since getting the TCM & ECU updates a couple of months ago. Before the changes the car seemed eager to downshift and bring on power using RPMs. After the changes the car is less apt to downshift when I dial in the throttle (unless I floor it), it lets torque and boost do the work. Now the car drives like it has a big-block engine under the hood instead of a turbo screamer. It drives different but still scary fast. And I have to believe that skipping all the downshifts and high RPM blasts is going to reduce wear & tear on the drive train.

Quick Reply: after recall and updates, anyone elses car feel slower?