S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Interesting Euro Spec Tail lights

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Euro Spec Tail lights

On a business trip in Germany, saw a lot of A6's where the turn signal on the rear tail lights actually "swipes" towards the outer sides of the car. Have you ever seen this?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That is cool. A vagcom change?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm a fan of turn signals like that. Just something a little different. I know mustangs do that but not sure of anything else.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Deazy
That is cool. A vagcom change?
Have no idea on this one. These were A6's, and clearly the signals had a series of bulbs (or LED's, it was tough to tell). I don't know the bulb composition of our tail lights and whether this is even possible.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Another feature not allowed by the US DOT.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/30/a...signals-video/

Last edited by tenspeed; 02-09-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

The tail lights on my car are tinted red, and there are no amber LEDs that I know of in the tail light. I design integrated tail lights for motorcycles so I have a ton of experience with LED tail lights.

There would have to be a clear lens portion where the turn signal LEDs are located. You can't put Amber LEDs behind a red filter (tint) as it would filter out most of the amber light.

For these reasons I'd say no way is it a VAG setting.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The European spec is yellow rear turn signals. I think this is possible with our US spec red lights. The signal will be red, but the sequential action is probably possible through VAGCOM.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
The European spec is yellow rear turn signals. I think this is possible with our US spec red lights. The signal will be red, but the sequential action is probably possible through VAGCOM.
This is not possible through VAG-com and is Euro spec only. It is completely illegal in the US due to DOT regulations.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyperS4
This is not possible through VAG-com and is Euro spec only. It is completely illegal in the US due to DOT regulations.
Darn Hyper - you're no fun!

Seriously though, how come Mustangs can come with the sequential tail lights and DOT approved them?

DOT also requires front amber markers and a lot of us have disabled them via VAGCOM. Come to think of it, DOT requires a lot of things that people who like to mod disable or bypass.

Does anyone know if the Euro spec lights are built differently to the US spec other than using amber LED diodes instead of red?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
Darn Hyper - you're no fun!

Seriously though, how come Mustangs can come with the sequential tail lights and DOT approved them?

DOT also requires front amber markers and a lot of us have disabled them via VAGCOM. Come to think of it, DOT requires a lot of things that people who like to mod disable or bypass.

Does anyone know if the Euro spec lights are built differently to the US spec other than using amber LED diodes instead of red?
Haha, I know, Im such a buzzkill.

However, Im happy you asked about the Mustang. It is the only vehicle that has been approved for the sequential lighting because it falls under the proper parameters. The main one being the first light(or LED)in the segment has to be the size of at least 6x6" square. Any subsequent light can be any size. Unfortunately, the LED segments in the Audi lights are all the same size around 1x1" square.

So there you have it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Euro Spec Tail lights