S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 Old tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does it really cure the lag

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
I'm pretty confident that I am going to get the APR tune after my 5k service. I hate the lag and it makes me want to sell the car but I don't know what else I would want. $1500 to get rid of it so I can enjoy the car more seems worth the risk.
I agree that the lag is occasionally annoying though you learn to "drive around" it. Have you driven a tuned S6 to see if it really works? Under roughly the same conditions as an stock S6? If it really gets rid of the lag it is probably worth it. I'd pay $1500 to get rid of the lag, and not push the car otherwise to avoid stressing components.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
I also see you logic. But what if its connecting rods, pistons (new engine) or transmission, which I think are as likely as turbos, if not more likely? Looking at the RS6/S8 engine, I note component strengthening and some different materials compared to the S6. There is no logic to increasing power in this case, just fun and satisfaction against risk. That equation is different for everyone. I'd love to compared a tuned S6 against mine in everyday driving to see if its really worth the risk.
And this is where the historical perspective from many people who have tuned their cars comes in. Audi turbo motors have historically been solid. 1.8 and 2.0T motors are pushing 350lb-ft of crank torque or more on stock internals. My own B5 S4 had over 400lb-ft of torque to the wheels on stock internals. And this was not even an aggressive tune.

It is different if you are trying to double your horsepower, or if you are adding significant forced induction to a normally aspirated motor. However a 17% increase in power production, by essentially dialing up the boost a little is not going to harm your turbo prepped motor whatsoever. I have never heard of any problems with engine internals on a stage 1 tune ever. Not on any Audi model of any generation, with any brand ECU flash.

Finally, as I said, just because you have that extra power, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Most people wont even have the opportunity to really tap into this kind of performance very frequently. Use the extra power once in a while to have some fun when conditions permit. The other 70-80% of the time, you won't be causing any more stress to your motor whatsoever.

Last edited by Vijay; 03-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure the engine is stout. Nonissue there.

However, when audi was presented with a more powerful 4.0 V8, in the rs7, and s8, they chose the 8 speed. Not the superior double clutch. There must be a reason.

No tune for me, but to each their own. Great car stock. Even better when a driver makes it their own.

Drive on
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly my thinking...

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
Sure the engine is stout. Nonissue there.

However, when audi was presented with a more powerful 4.0 V8, in the rs7, and s8, they chose the 8 speed. Not the superior double clutch. There must be a reason.

No tune for me, but to each their own. Great car stock. Even better when a driver makes it their own.

Drive on
...while I am certain the double clutch is 'overbuilt', the APR tune delivers a lot more footie poundage. Accordingly, I am giving it time. By the time my warranty expires, I expect there will be good reliability data from which to proceed. I am not worried about APR's competence or credibility. I just doubt it was possible to put significant real-world miles on a reasonable sample of cars under road conditions.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrCondor
...while I am certain the double clutch is 'overbuilt', the APR tune delivers a lot more footie poundage. Accordingly, I am giving it time. By the time my warranty expires, I expect there will be good reliability data from which to proceed. I am not worried about APR's competence or credibility. I just doubt it was possible to put significant real-world miles on a reasonable sample of cars under road conditions.
Real world miles aren't my main concern as most of my real world miles will be driven normally and sedately, just as they are now. For those times, however, when I do want to put the pedal to the metal, it will be that much more fun.

People are forgetting that how much stress you want to put on your engine and transmission is up to you. You don't need to hammer it all the time. For a $1500 ECU upgrade, if I can hammer it safely even 10-15% of the time, I will be happy.

Last edited by Vijay; 03-25-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APR DSG software

GIAC - in addition to their ECU tune - offers a DSG software tune that costs an extra $700. Any thoughts?

GIAC is also proud to announce the release of performance DSG transmission software for the 2013+ C7 S6/S7 models. This GIAC exclusive software includes both U.S. and international models. This software complements GIAC performance engine software and is installed in minutes using regular GIAC flashing tools through the OBDII port. Installation of the GIAC product does not require removal of the DSG computer from the car. This quick upgrade supports higher torque levels, faster shift speeds and higher limiters in your DSGs mechatronic to ensure you get the most from your S6 or S7.

GIAC S-Tronic software features:

• Shift points raised +200 RPM in drive, sport and manual modes

• Torque control optimization for faster, smoother shifting

• Clutch pack clamping pressure increase to support higher torque levels

• Launch control raised +200 RPM, with full torque on launch

• Torque requests and limits raised

• Part throttle torque control recalibrated for a more responsive feel

Like our other DSG software, GIAC S-Tronic performance DSG software for 2013+ S6/S7 models is currently available for customers who have the corresponding GIAC engine calibration. GIAC engine software is updated with the proper modifications for use with GIAC’s DSG performance software. The GIAC engine and transmission calibrations for the C7 have been designed to work in concert to provide the ideal 4.0T driving experience. GIAC is proud to offer the most complete and potent performance option for the C7 S6/S7. MSRP for S-Tronic performance software is $700.00 and is available at all GIAC dealers. The software is flashed in minutes through the OBD2 port.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can't go wrong with GIAC. They are a solid tuner as well. APR will be coming out with their DSG software soon. This still doesn't address the issue of transmission durability, however.

I believe there is someone who posted on this forum (I forget who) that has over 30,000 miles with APR software, and has done well over 100 full blown launches with launch control. He has had no issues.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 500 miles to go before my first service, then I decide on the tune.