S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 Old tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. Audi can determine by various recorded engine parameters if an ECU modification was ever made and will label it as TD1, even if swapped back to stock. Once an Audi is tagged as a TD1, which it will, it stays with the life of the car even if reversed.
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

There is program switching which I think a lot of people get mixed up with (flashing to stock) because there is an option for "stock". I've recently talked to Achtuning (local VW/Audi tuning shop in Seattle) and they say if you --flash-- it back to stock you're good.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xtek

There is program switching which I think a lot of people get mixed up with (flashing to stock) because there is an option for "stock". I've recently talked to Achtuning (local VW/Audi tuning shop in Seattle) and they say if you --flash-- it back to stock you're good.
I read that apr is the only one that can't be detected, I have no affiliation, and am pretty skeptical, but that's what a bunch of people are saying
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, not necessarily so.This has been discussed numerous times in the Forums. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a manf. cannot void a warranty due to a modification unless the manf. can show that a specific failure was due to the mod and, of course, the modified part itself would not be covered by Audi but by the manf of the modified part (assuming it's still covered under their warranty).

That said, only Stasis has limited warranties that would cover any engine failures shown to be the cause of a defect of their parts. APR will only cover the part itself. In any case, Audi cannot decline warranty coverage on any part on the car unless they can show a modified part was the cause of a failure. Granted, there's a chance there could be some difficulty in ascertaining who is at fault down the road but that's the risk one takes when modding. (Note that an ECU mod these days will generate a TD1 notification in Audi's computer system to alert them that the car has been modified).
As far as I know there haven't been any cases of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act defending the use of 3rd party aftermarket performance parts. Of course either way, it is neither easy nor cheap to enforce compliance with it.

As for the Stasis warranty, I wouldn't count on it being worth anything more than the paper its printed on. REVO looks to be dumping the Stasis brand while keeping their assets.

http://www.revotechnik.com/february-newsletter/
Old 03-22-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After Vijay's post I'm ready to drive to my APR dealer and plug in!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
As far as I know there haven't been any cases of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act defending the use of 3rd party aftermarket performance parts.
SEMA article on this topic...

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ettsn
Does software even count? Is it even a "part?"
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
My slightly twisted logic on this is as follows:

If Audi had made an RS6 sedan, I would have bought it, no question. They do not. As such I bought and S6 and am tuning it. An RS6 sedan would have cost like $30-40k more than my S6, so if I spend $1500 on an ECU, then, if by remote chance, have to fork out a few grand for blown turbos, etc. I am still ahead of the game.
Now that I read your logic, the APR upgrade seems like a no brainer!!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtek

My understanding from what I've read since the recent TD1 process began, Audi can now tell when the car is connected to their system if an ECU map was ever modified or flashed by comparing it to the original ECU maps in their database. I've also read that they now have other ways of detecting various engine performance parameters via historical logging. True or not, it's worth further investigation as I believe they have changed the game.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Logic vs Cost

Originally Posted by kwas911
Now that I read your logic, the APR upgrade seems like a no brainer!!!!
I also see you logic. But what if its connecting rods, pistons (new engine) or transmission, which I think are as likely as turbos, if not more likely? Looking at the RS6/S8 engine, I note component strengthening and some different materials compared to the S6. There is no logic to increasing power in this case, just fun and satisfaction against risk. That equation is different for everyone. I'd love to compared a tuned S6 against mine in everyday driving to see if its really worth the risk.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm pretty confident that I am going to get the APR tune after my 5k service. I hate the lag and it makes me want to sell the car but I don't know what else I would want. $1500 to get rid of it so I can enjoy the car more seems worth the risk.

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 Old tune question