S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 - Do you like the way yours shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 S6 - Do you like the way yours shifts?

This is the first and only S6 I have ever driven. It had 19K miles and under CPO until July of this year. I have taken it in multiple times for shifting issues... it sometimes shifts hard... on acceleration, on deceleration, nearing stop will hard downshift, and when going from reverse to drive is typically pretty harsh. I have had it in the shop many many times. They have upgraded software to no avail... They put in a new mechatronic.. still does it.

I did read that these double clutch transmissions do not do well at lower speeds, so not sure if this is normal, or not? If the car was not so awesome, I would have dumped it long ago and never looked at another Audi again.

At this point, I do not know whether to continue complaining or live with it. The Audi tech told me to drive in Auto mode. Seems strange, but it did help for a bit, but on my drive this afternoon, it bucked at me 3 times. Just does not seem right? Or is it?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by abarli65
This is the first and only S6 I have ever driven. It had 19K miles and under CPO until July of this year. I have taken it in multiple times for shifting issues... it sometimes shifts hard... on acceleration, on deceleration, nearing stop will hard downshift, and when going from reverse to drive is typically pretty harsh. I have had it in the shop many many times. They have upgraded software to no avail... They put in a new mechatronic.. still does it.

I did read that these double clutch transmissions do not do well at lower speeds, so not sure if this is normal, or not? If the car was not so awesome, I would have dumped it long ago and never looked at another Audi again.

At this point, I do not know whether to continue complaining or live with it. The Audi tech told me to drive in Auto mode. Seems strange, but it did help for a bit, but on my drive this afternoon, it bucked at me 3 times. Just does not seem right? Or is it?
My 2016 S6 shifts fine in auto mode. It will buck at low speed in dynamic mode, but I switch in and out of dynamic mode a lot (pull shifter back). I use the dynamic mode for comming out of low speed turns, passing or when needing of rapid acceleration. I use the auto mode at low speed (parking lot),

Last edited by m444; 05-03-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 17 shifted much better than our 14 in all modes.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
My 2016 S6 shifts fine in auto mode. It will buck at low speed in dynamic mode, but I switch in and out of dynamic mode a lot (pull shifter back). I use the dynamic mode for comming out of low speed turns, passing or when needing of rapid acceleration. I use the auto mode at low speed (parking lot),
This is what I do on my 18. I am always in and out of D/S....multiple times during a drive as well. It does buck also at low speeds in S-Dynamic, but that's to be expected with the S tronic Dual Clutch and is normal. You can mitigate the bucking by putting it in D instead where it won't hold the gear as long.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had some relatively minor smoothness concerns with the DSG in my S6.

The dealer applied the available software updates and carried out the basic settings process where the clutch points are adjusted. Some of these steps gave some improvement, but never entirely satisfied me.

It wasn't until the dealer replaced the full clutch assembly under warranty that I was happy with the way the gearbox behaved. I'm very happy with the way it has driven ever since.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OP - My 2013 does the exact same thing! The driving experience below 30mph is god awful and is a reminder why I kept my 911 with manual transmission. My wife is scared to drive it because of the “lunge” at stop lights and pulling into the garage. Above 30 mph, the car is great (esp. on highways).
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the nature of the beast with dual clutches. This is why a lot of manufacturers are going back to conventional transmissions now and doing away with the DCT's and only high performance vehicles are are using them. For most applications like luxury vehicles consumers are not happy with the harsher shifting that everyone here is referring to. The whole idea of the dual clutch in general is for higher performance vehicles, but it does have all these drawbacks unfortunately. This is well documented!
Old 06-27-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2013 S6 is having it's clutch being completely replaced at 69.5K miles right now. Car was shifting really badly. When they opened it up to look, "pieces of the clutch" fell out, according to my SA.

I've now had turbos and clutch being replaced within the last year. Good thing I have the 7yr/70K mile warranty that is still applicable.