S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade

Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Updates:

Went by this morning to check the progress. They have removed the Bose midbass enclusres from the front doors, and built the first new baffle and trim ring for the Beyma 8" woofers that will be going in their place.

Sound dampening has been applied to the outer door skin. You can see some through the hole in the door.

Here is one of the Bose enclosures.

those bose mids are about the only thing that really excels in that stereo--they have a lot of punch. Seems the a6/s6/a7/s7 stereos are identical for the most part.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The front doors are now complete. 8 inch midbass speakers installed, and the doors have been completely treated with sound dampening and foam tiles to help reduce the back-wave interference from the woofers.

The factory door speakers were removed, and the openings sealed up with a custom plastic molded baffle. We also sealed up the port opening from the old Bose midbass enclosure.

The Audison BitOne is going in today. We pulled out the Bose amp and mounted the BitOne underneath the rack where the Bose was mounted. This will keep the speaker cable runs from the Bose amp to the BitOne as short as possible. The BitOne connects to the Audison amplifier with a single Ethernet cable (digital).
The amp is going to be mounted to the underside of the rear deck.

They also tested the parking assist beeps, and found that the car has specific tone generators for the beeps. It does not use the Bose audio system, which is great news. I was worried that we might lose the rear beeps since we are not connecting the rear outputs of the Bose amp to the BitOne.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 01-29-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default More Updates

The BitOne is about 90% installed. You can see it here underneath the Bose amplifier. The Bose amp was pulled out temporarily to access the wires, but went back into the OEM location. There was a nice open space for the BitOne to fit perfectly underneath.

The trunk has been sound dampened thoroughly, especially the rear deck (top and bottom).

Here is a pic of the amplifier rack. It's just a simple metal rack that is attached to the underside of the rear deck. It gives the amp a little room to breathe, while also minimizing the number of holes drilled into the car's metal.

The Blinder jammer was going in this morning. Diodes are installed in the grill.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

More Updates:

Another couple of days, and more sound dampening. We have gone through 2 boxes of dampening so far, approx 80 sq ft. The front and rear doors are covered, along with both the top and bottom of the rear deck, and all of the trunk surfaces including the tire well, floor and sides, and trunk lid. We still need to take down the headliner and dampen the roof.

We have installed the HRT iStreamer 12Volt on top of the Audison BitOne processor. It is the white device seen in the pic below, with the USB cable sticking out of it. We will run a long USB cable to the front armrest for my iPod to connect directly into the BitOne. The iStreamer acts as an outboard D/A converter for iPods, up to 24 bit 48kHz with zero jitter.

The underside of the rear deck has been carpeted to hide the sound dampening and the amplifier rack.

A closer look at the Audison Voce AV5.1k amplifier. This single amp will power the full system with 5 channels.

And the subwoofer baffle has been started. This is the initial frame that will support the baffle structure. This is the part that actually bolts to the frame of the car. The baffle board will bolt onto this frame to minimize the number of holes drilled into the car's metal, and to also allow for removal of the baffle if I ever need to use the folding seat pass-thru.

The baffle is made from 1" baltic birch. We chose baltic birch over the typical 3/4" MDF to get better stiffness, plus we can use standard woodworking tools.

This is the view from the back door looking in.

And here's the view from behind the car looking into the trunk.

Subwoofers should be installed and able to play by tomorrow or Thursday, I think.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 02-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that thing is going to be a beast my friend!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My car smells like fresh birch now.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My car smells like fresh birch now.
I can't wait to see how those horns go in. I thought the horns were a thing of the past in car audio, but I bow to your better judgement.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S6Express
I can't wait to see how those horns go in. I thought the horns were a thing of the past in car audio, but I bow to your better judgement.

I'm interested to hear them again. I had horns in my old Acura back in the late 1990s, but not heard any since. And, with my current research, I learned how we didn't install them correctly in the Acura. LOL!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Going skiing for a week.
When I return, I should be able to report on a completed car. Will likely just need to spend a solid day tuning the system. To be continued.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Audi S6 - Audio System Upgrade