Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Mihnea Cotet (MRC Development) Custom Tuning Review....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mihnea Cotet (MRC Development) Custom Tuning Review....

Wow! What a professional! I was one of the few who were lucky enough to have Mihnea custom tune my car while he was in the States.
Thanks to the hospitality of Brian Link for hosting not only tuning session but giving the "tuning god" a place to stay while in Colorado.
It truely was, hopefully not, a once in lifetime experiance to see how true custom "tuning" is done.

Basically here are the steps we took:
-1) Checked for pressure leaks we did find one in of all places the Innovative Modifed Inducer where they lopped off the inducer and put on a larger inducer. We figured it wasnt a huge deal since the leak was small and I wasnt loosing boost when driving..just when we pressurize the intake manually on the low-pressure side of things.
-2) Went for a baseline drive w/ existing software to confirm EGT's and Fuel Mixture looked fine.
-3) Removed the ECU, and socketed Fuel/Timing, and Boost Chip and replaced with a chip that was attached to cable that would then attach to emulator ($$)
-4) Hook up ECU and load up base maps to emulator
-5) Hook up Intake temp. monitor on throttle body and EGT monitor on 2nd bung
-6) Went driving on some back-country roads doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls to red-line or until we detected detonation/retarding of timing. Mihnea then was "real-time" was able to adjust the timing, fuel maps, and WGFV for ANY givin RPM re-upload to emulator and retest! It was absolutely amazing to then run it the next time and feel the detonation GONE!!!!! All while monitoring Boost, EGT's, A/F ratios, and Intake Temps. We did this several times and finally came up with a emulated chipset. I forgot to mention the software he was using was amazing and had probably 9-10 windows each measuring things over my head.
-7) Got back to the house and he then took blank EPROM's and took the program from his PC/Emulator and burnt the chipset!!!

Results:
-1) Got rid of some retarding of timing I was having under high engine loads around 5000-5000 RPM
-2) Pulls to 7K with much more willingness and is VERY smooth!
-3) Smooth all the way from when the turbo spools up to redline
-4) Safer to the engine since got rid of the detonation
-5) A real learning session at least at the laymans level on how custom tuning is done.

West-Coast Owners:
IF you have the chance to schedule a session with Mihnea (MRC Development) I HIGHLY suggest you do! The skill and attention he gives is absolutely one of a kind!

PS- The stock IC sucks!
Old 07-05-2004, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mihnea is a good man. Stock IC's do suck.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

What were your intake temps at with the Dahlback Intake?
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mihnea Cotet (MRC Development) Custom Tuning Review....

I think Cody is being a little modest. Cody had a strong chipset to begin with and Mihnea was able to add both timing and boost to parts of the rpm range. And If you do have a cahance to get in on an upcomming tunning session, you will not be dissapointed.

Brian Link
Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well it is hard to compare to the OEM...back to back same weather condtions.

But when crusing we were at around 33 C° but under boost I believe around 70 C° But really I was focusing on the road at 3rd and 4th gear pulls to 6-7K ;-)

Regardless FMIC is a good idea...
Old 07-06-2004, 03:58 PM

Bastard! Am I the only guy in the Southeast?