Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

@%$!!! Problem with dead cylinder is back after two days of normalcy. What exactly is the...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @%$!!! Problem with dead cylinder is back after two days of normalcy. What exactly is the...

problem with POS? I removed the cover and there are two larger connectors, one takes care of two coils, the other one gets three, but where are the sensors? Are the sensors built-in? The connector is the sensor? How can I test it? I found no box like the one on the A4.
I have no idea what could cause this on-off-on-again crap.
For those who are joining us now, a bit of history: last week one cylinder stopped firing. We checked the coil pack, one ignition coil was suspected dead. Later we found out it was ok, the wiring was to be blamed. We put everything back again, works fine for two days, then...
Old 04-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default P.O.S.

I had the same thing happen to me. Yes one of them controls 3 the other 2 with one channel not used. I got a new one from SJM and popped off the black cover. I took off the 2 little screws and put the new one on, plugged the wires in and it still miss fired. I then put the old p.o.s. back on, took the other p.o.s. off put the new one in place of it and NO MORE MISS FIRE. When I brough the bad p.o.s. inside I hooked it up to a meter and found that one of the little metal teeth showed no flow but all the others did. I guess this was the little BEEEOOOOCCCHHHH that was causing my S4 to run so bad. I hope this is it and you don't have to try anything else. Don't forget if the first pos doesn't solve it try the other one, it worked for me.

Good luck,

D
Old 04-10-2004, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks. Since I still have to buy the new POS,...

, I'll try to clean the connectors and see if I get lucky, otherwise I'll bite the bullet and go for a new one.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks. Since I still have to buy the new POS,...

Yes, try and unplug each of them and clean the connections. I have read where guys simply unpluged them and plugged them back in and fixed it. 10 years of water, heat, and greasy engine funk can get in there. I tried this first on mine but no dice, I had to get a new one. It was pretty wild when I finally got it fixed and had the known bad p.o.s. in my hand I took it apart. There are 3 VERY thin wires inside suspended in a clear gel. I guess over time the heat and vibrations can cause a short in one of the wires. We were gonna try and see if the p.o.s. could be fixed but the gel and wires could not be seperated and the wires totally snapped apart. Anyway thought it was pretty cool and wasn't sure if anybody else had done an autopsy on one of these little bastards.

D
Old 04-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Most people re-wire to replace the bad channel with the dead one.

It's about the only free repair you'll ever see on an Audi.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried to switch POS'es and achieve that by luck, but didn't work. Tomorrow I'll re-wire it.