S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

A sales manager at a Ford delership challenged me to a race... Funny...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sales manager at a Ford delership challenged me to a race... Funny...

For the past few days I've been passing this Ford dealer that always has some nice Mustang GTs in front but now has a very nice Shelby GT-H Mustang (325hp) sitting in the grass. So this morning I stopped to take a closer look since I'd only seen these on the internet. Apparently this former Hertz car has been retired and is being sold... for $59k and change. Crazy price, but the car is beautiful. I took some pics but my camera phone data transfer cable is at
3work (<--dag just came over and dropped ball on keyboard).

I was surprised that the dealership was open today. So a sales manager comes out (guess he saw the Audi), maybe in his early 40s or so, and starts talking to me about how they got the car, how rare it is, how incredible these Mustang GTs are etc. He introduces himself and tells me that his only sales people were with customers so he wanted to come out so I didn't just leave. Then he asks how soon I'm looking to buy and I tell him,
Me: To be honest, I didn't come to buy. I just wanted to get a closer look at the car. I'm strongly considering buying a GT500 but you guys aren't a SVT dealer, are you?
Him: "No", and proceeds to tell me how these GTs are plenty fast, like, scary fast even.
Me: I know they're pretty fast but if I'm going to buy a Mustang I'd like it to be faster than my sedan.
He looks at the S and says,
Him: You mean your Audi??
Me: Yup.
Him: (looking at my car) I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think you have to worry about that (chuckling). Your car is a V6 right? Does it have a turbo?
Me: Nah, it has a 4.2L V8.
Him: Wow..... Well, still, I can't imagine how it could ever be faster than a Mustang GT. This is a 4.6L, blah, blah...
Me: I'm pretty sure it's faster...(nonchalantly looking at the Shelby)
(At this point I'm thinking, where has this guy been? He should know that there are some German cars out there with mad hp that would kill a Mustang GT. And I'm thinking he's got to ask how much hp it has but he never did)
It's silent for about a minute, then he says,
Him: Well, let me ask you this, would you buy a GT if it were faster than your car?
Me: Yes. At this price,(a GT was right next to us) I'd put a deposit down today.
His eyes light up!
Him: The Shelby or just a GT?
Me: A GT. I don't think the Shelby is worth 59k.
Him: So, if we went out and lined up your car against one of my GTs and I won, you'd buy?
Him: (Smiling like a cheshire cat) Do you have time now?
Him: Do you mind me bringing out the Shelby? (thinking that the extra 25 horses would seal the deal, not thinking that it's a slower automatic)
Me: Nope.
So he says ok and jogs inside to get a tag and keys, probably telling someone how he's about to make a sale. He comes back out, hops in the Shelby and asks me to follow him, that he knows a road that has no traffic, etc. So I hop in the car and follow him and I'm hoping that since my car seems to like fouling cylinder 8's plug that that plug is ok....... Oh well.'

On the way there he's doing little demonstrations of how fast his car is. So we get there, line them up and he says, "How should we start?" I tell him that I'll count to three and we'll leave on three. "Ok!" So I adjust my seat, move the arm rest, do a few quick clutch releases and get my revs up, count to three and just leave him by about 3 car lengths. He got off of it when I was at the top of second and flashed his headlights. I stop the car and he comes up and says that his tires were spinning, can we try it again. So we turn them around and the same thing happens but I hurt him even worse with the launch. So he asks if we can try it from like 5mph. We do and I pull on him in each gear.

We stop the cars and he says, laughing, "Well, I guess I don't have a sale!" I just laughed and said "See, that wouldn't have happened if you were an SVT dealer!". He cracked up, agreed, complimented the car and said he needs to check these out online.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great story...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: A sales manager at a Ford delership challenged me to a race... Funny...

Nice
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome Story... these cars are the ultimate sleepers.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

you should have bet slips
Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You put a good Audi *** kickin on him!

Just another saleperson who doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground about cars. Plus he's pushing some inferior so called Americam performance car. And you did't even get to show him what you could do in the twisties!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Stage 3 B5S4 are the ultamite sleepers!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could have seen his face at that moment!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Haha. Awesome story.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

*ding*

Quick Reply: A sales manager at a Ford delership challenged me to a race... Funny...