S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Need Help!!! Please advise!!! I am going to the track this Thursday.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Please advise!!! I am going to the track this Thursday.....

and am def racing 2 srt4's. 1 that is mopar stage 1,WGA,CAI, 3 inch exhaust, electronic boost controller running 20lbs. and 2nd is stage 2 with a 50 trim big turbo. Any chance that I am gonna win???

In addition....I can't seem to get my launch down. What do you guys recommend???? Any advice for the track. This is my first time taking this car to the track.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Honestly, you can either launch well or you can't. You have to have the feel for it.

BUT, I can recommend doing a very fast slip and not dumping!

Feather the throttle while preparing...and let your body control it. I can't explain it...but I just think "hard launch," do a simultaneous floor and clutch release (not sidestep, fast uplift), and then I'm off.

Good luck.

Turn off ESP ;-)
Old 07-12-2005, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HOW many times do we have to say this.

It's AWD, you don't F-in launch it.

Roll it to about 5 mph and then add power.

it's not some hovercraft that you stand on and hope that 4200 illustrious pounds of v8 powaH going to move without frying your clutch.

the AWD works at speed, not as a "drop it like it's hot" type launch.... if you do (which is your choice) you'll surely fry the clutch in no time.

oh and by the way, the car you are racing could be faster, but it's the driver that makes ALL the difference.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You don't vs. "you shouldn't".. ;-) Not neccessarily the clutch, but the whole drivetrain

depending on how hard/how unskilled of a launch ;-)

BTW, "we" has only been you and Alan, hahaha. Actually, I don't even remember you saying it. Only Alan would chime in once in awhile saying he'll never take his car to the 1/4 "track."

BTW, MANY think "it's AWD...you F-in LAUNCH this ****E!" I tend to be in the middle. I enjoy some hard launches once in awhile.

I was expecting my clutch to go at around 20k, I'm at 30+ and it's holding up fine.

All in all though...she's going to the track, and she won't be rolling it to 5mph before going WOT.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Totally agree! and yes, you made some funny reference there

heh... I hear ya.

it's more of a blend, then DROP!

loved the usage of ****e! nice one..

it's just that AWD is not your car to launch, if you bring it up to 3k and ease the clutch out, get it going to about 5-10 mph and once FORWARD MOTION has begun, then lay it down. you are faster and also MUCH MUCH lighter on the clutch
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ah, you're arguing the term "launch." I see now.

The thing is, you're equating "launch" with "drop, chirp, go." We just mean "take off fast from a stop."

When done right, AWD launches are true launches in that they're mighty savage (not to mention fun!)

Btw, might go see yet another miata...and make an offer on the other one over the phone. My offer will be a grand less than listed on the black one, so we'll see how it goes. No point taking it to a mechanic before making the offer...
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Default It's all in the LAUNCH......

The best technique that I found to work well for me with a 1.8 60FT time is to press clutch all the way in; on the 2 or 3rd yellow light, floor the gas pedal. As the revs climb to 3K, let the clutch out, but not dump it. It's more of a quick smooth release of the clutch, rather than just popping it. You know you got it right when you hear a slight screech, follow by an "explosive" launching sensation :-). Oh yeah, you'll also hear this big clunk in your transmission as the AWD connects :-/.

Sheetmetal had a pretty good description of this technique. Do a search for it.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default ^agree.. for me its a feeling.. Try not to take i too seriously. Just play

around and it will come out naturally. And dont dump it.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ding!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

heh, I said the exact same thing below!

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! Please advise!!! I am going to the track this Thursday.....