S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Okay so preliminary results from NorCal Dyno Day "M" Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Okay so preliminary results from NorCal Dyno Day "M" Shootout

Notes:

Vehicle:
2001 "M" equipped S4
Milltek Catback
Otherwise stock.
Recent 30K (Thursday) service
TBB checked (clean no tears, no gunk)
BPV's checked functioning, no leaks, hoses fine.
Fuel 91 octane Donkey ****, available everywhere in CA and CO. Thanks to you, the tree huggers!

Chips Tested:
APR V3.2 91 octane
GIAC "X" (latest rev) <whatever>
AMS (ABT labeled, who coded?!?!) Again <whatever>

Note: All chips are the same ones you would get from (AMS/Strat/Achtuning), (AWE/Dynospot/Curry), (APR). Meaning nothing special, no tuner sitting there tuning chips and all these were created for the "M" ECU (2001 6 spd). Got these thru normal channels, no tuner supplied boxes!

Conditions:
Elevation 87 feet
Temps 71-72
Half tank of Gas
Stock body panels, wheels tires, suspension, full interior plus 4 ECU's, camera, misc cabling and dried gum from my last visit to costco in the trunk (jerks!): Weight, damn near what Audi says it weighs..

Testing:
2 runs
then a 5+ minute cool down
fans and a few sprays of very cold **** on to the IC's and the Ypipe
Then second Chip was tested
Chips tested in this order (APR, AMS/ABT, GIAC)
VAG choked on me and didn't share that fact with me!, so only logs (timing, boost and fuel for the APR) $#%#@% don't get me started.

Dyno:
Dynojet Dynometer
Advanced Tuning Products: Fremont CA

Results:
At the Wheels (approximate 22-25% loss)
Heat soak was an issue between the first and second run. Was not an issue prior to each set.

APR:
Run 1: Max Power:228.3 Max Torque:296.3
Run 2: Max Power:220.6 Max Torque:282.8
A bit too lean on throttle, goes rich, then starts to lean out on top making more power.. Needs work. Chip feels okay on 91.

AMS/ABT:
Run 1: Max Power:240.2 Max Torque:302.8
Run 2: Max Power:221.2 Max Torque:252.1
A bit too lean on throttle, then goes perfect then goes too rich, doesn't lean out enough to make even more power. Needs work. Chip feels good

GIAC:
Run 1: Max Power:235.9 Max Torque:290.5
Run 2: Max Power:219.0 Max Torque:268.5
Well this thing goes from a bit lean to immediately rich and goes off the scale, would say close to a 8/9:1 ratio and never ever comes back. Lots of power being left on the table with this chip. Also the power does not appear very linear on the dyno graph. But seat of the pants this chip feels pretty good.

The numbers and charts speak for themselves. I would really really like to keep the oWN ju **** to a minimum and let's not bash tuners. I ran these tests out of my own pocket (all 3 ECU's and dyno time!) I did this to help figure out what the best street setup is for me (CA).. If you get 93 octane, guarantee all chips will perform different and in most cases much better!

So hopefully someone else will step up and do a dyno day, with better fuel, same car, no tweaking and no custom chips!

This is my contribution to you. I may follow this up with a 100 octane test (depending on the funds!).

Excuse the quality of the charts, they were running low on ink and were using sissy colors, so a bit hard to read, but should give you enough information to have a CIVIL discussion with!!!!!<ul><li><a href="http://home.pacbell.net/tmblue/dyno.htm">Dyno charts</a></li></ul>
Old 09-07-2002, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh boy! The brake debate ends and Dyno day bashing begins...

nice work...I'm sorry for what's going to hit you.

We spent a bunch of time and money to do a Dyno day a couple of years ago and mainly being flamed by tuners was our reward.

Oh...that and having a VM1 equipped S4 in the dyno bay...that was pretty cool :-)
Old 09-07-2002, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Was here when you guys did that Pete.. I did it different, will see what happens!.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default One more note about Stock A/F ratios

If you look at the allroad dyno plot this is identical to every stock car that ran today! All of them.

Why can't tuners keep the A/F closer to stock, when increasing everything else? The stock system runs a bit too lean, but add a bit of fuel, NOT TOO MUCH and booya!!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good work! may i ask what kind of dyno was used?
Old 09-07-2002, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think what people don't understand is...

that even though there are variances on each run...dynos are NOT as wildly innacurate as people (who don't like the results) would like to believe...run after run after run after run...they all come out so close as to certainly be useful for comparison.

Getting the A/F ratio is really good, we had a bunch of problems with the tools who ran the dyno we used so didn't get to do that.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I've updated my post but: Dynojet Dynometer
Old 09-07-2002, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Ya really wish I could have the VAG data too.. Timing, boost and duty cycle would of been nice!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Banned

Default good job Tory! and thanks for spending your money and time on this!

&lt;whatever&gt;...lol
Old 09-07-2002, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that web page isn't working for me...

I see a page saying "loading" and your sig pic but it doesn't load. Is it working for you?

Quick Reply: Okay so preliminary results from NorCal Dyno Day "M" Shootout