S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is it just me or does your ESP engage too often? Do you guys turn it off some or most of the time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BbbZZZzzzzTTTTT!!!! Wrong!

Per AESIS: "ESP incorporates the functions of electronic brake force distribution, ABS, EDL, and ASR."

"If required, the ASR and ESP control functions can be switched off and then on again by means of the ASR/ESP push-button switch in the center console."

"The EDL and ASR functions act together to assist acceleration."

"Traction control indicator light K86 flashing - ASR/ESP control has been activated. ASR/ESP warning light flashes about 3 times per second."

My own experience suggests that much of the annoying function of ESP is really ASR kicking in. I found the ESP light flashing during some moderately hard turns which exhibited not a hint of steering inconsistency in my '00. I have so far convinced myself that there WAS some marginal wheelspin which annoyed the '01 ABS/EDL/ASR/ESP controller enough that it would engage the ASR function

YMMV of course, but the fact of the matter is that all 4 of those functions come from the same control unit....
Old 11-08-2001, 12:15 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default But if I disable ESP (so the light is on) and then encounter wheel slip and the light blinks...

Then couldn't that be inidicating EDL? Since ESP is theoretically disabled.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, so what happens when you hold the switch in?

What happens when you hold it in while starting the car?

From looking at the A6 wiring diagram, all the switch does is provide 12V to a pin on the ABS controller when depressed and floats the pin when undepressed.

It's not rocket science to invert the function of that switch....especially if it has both NC and NO contacts! (Can't tell for sure, as it looks like the wiring diagram has the Allroad and plain A6 reversed - one of the two definitely has a switch with both contact sets.)
Old 11-09-2001, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

99% sure ABS controllers are same p/n so it's just about gotta be...
Old 11-09-2001, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OIC

There's a distinction between EDL and ASR:
"EDL: The electronic differntial lock (EDL) is an aid when driving away from a standstill. An electronically controlled brake application on the spinning driven wheen provides a torque reaction point for the differential. This enables the wheel with better traction to make use of the engine power. The EDL is effective in both forward and reverse directions. On vehicles with all wheel drive, EDL acts on all for wheels; a mechanical differential lock is not required. In conjunction with ESP, the EDL is active at all speeds."

"ASR: The ASR traction control system prevents the driving wheels from spinning under acelleration: the system operates by reducing engine torque and is active at all speeds. The EDL and ASR functions act together to assist acceleration."

In short, EDL is braking, ASR is throttle cut. Both functions are sourced from the ABS controller. Clear as mud, I know

The ESP switch allegedly disables ESP and ASR, *NOT* EDL.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:13 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quite a thorough discusion of the matter guys.

but we still haven't figured out that light on the dash. Maybe when it snows I'll try to see if it blinks when ESP is disabled and traction is lost. Excellent discussion guys wish they could all be this well.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah we did, you musta missed it...4th quote...

K86 is the light people think of as the ESP light.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/554097.phtml">Loopback </a></li></ul>
Old 11-09-2001, 01:16 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Default Right, that's the question we'll have to answer by testing since there seems to be no documentation

either supporting or denying that it blinks when ESP is disabled, but EDL kicks in.

According to Richard S. it should blink...
"Per AESIS: "ESP incorporates the functions of electronic brake force distribution, ABS, EDL, and ASR."

"If required, the ASR and ESP control functions can be switched off and then on again by means of the ASR/ESP push-button switch in the center console."

"The EDL and ASR functions act together to assist acceleration."

"Traction control indicator light K86 flashing - ASR/ESP control has been activated. ASR/ESP warning light flashes about 3 times per second." "

I guess we will find out one day.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:23 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Eh, I'm sure if any of us figure it out we'll be sure to post it here. Later
Old 11-09-2001, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's the way I read it too... blinks for ESP/ASR activation only