S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Long insurance story/questions for those bored... theft/recovered/bodywork done/what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long insurance story/questions for those bored... theft/recovered/bodywork done/what's next?

So 2 months back, my car got stolen and recovered. Awesome, or so I thought. In the back of my mind I didn't want them to find the car because I knew there was going to be too much damage.

Car sent to body shop, which does about 12k worth of repairs only to test drive the car to find the Clutch shot, and burning oil (assuming turbo blown). That's a lot of $$$ to repair, even if doing yourself. So logic tells me that the insurance company will have to eat the cost of the bodyshop work and cut me a check.. right?

I'm waiting to hear back from the adjuster on what's going to happen next. My thought is that the insurance company is stupid to fix the bodywork first THEN mechanicals. Is this their normal "circle" way of doing things?

This is the first time I've ever had anyone else work on my car since I'm a DIYer, and never had any accidents/thefts. Figured this forum could shine some experience on this subject.

Thanks in advance.... sorry for the length
Old 04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Insurance must eat it. Yes, dumb of them to not deal with mechanicals first

When I lost my last s4, they did a partial body fix, then found that the TB jumped a couple of teeth. That drove an engine replacement, drove the cost over $14k, totalled. My guess is they will total it.

Good luck. Sounds like they really trashed it, and god knows what you'll find down the road...so to speak.

Chris
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All I can say is to insist on finding the shops to do the work yourself. Most generic places the

insurance companies work with will probably ruin your car even more while trying to "fix" it. My friend has been going through something like this with his A4 for at least two years now. Shoddy work, wrong parts, breaking more things because they don't know how certain parts come off, etc...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Yea, that's what I did with the body shop.. (Thanks Ram).. looking to throw the car to KMDTuning...

Once the insurance adjuster figures out what's going on for a quote on potential work.

OT: Can a failed turbo NOT do the dentist drill sound? Or is that the only way to know they fail?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Seals can blow without making any noise. That would be a failure.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have them total it out, buy the car back, take that loot and buy ko4's and fueling you should come

1-2k out of pocket and have a stg3
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm actually going to seriously consider this option... pending the $$ breakdown and how much I get.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have some experience with this...

quite a bit actually since my family was in the insurance biz for a long time.

Adjusters typically do a first assessment, which is body work and whatever information can easily be extracted from under the hood. As the body shops and mechanics uncover new issues while working on the initial stuff, they should call the insurance company and have them bring the adjuster back out to re-assess the damage and do one of two things; write a supplemental appraisal to cover the additional work needed to make you whole or total out the car, at which point it becomes the property of the insurance company.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Default That's sort of what happened, initial quote was ~8k, then body shop requested supplemental work..

which then totaled to ~12k.

So I guess the body shop somewhat "ignored" the engine problems hoping they wasn't there so that they would get the work/$$ ?

Regardless, I can only wait and see if they'll throw more money at it (STAGE 3 BABY!!!) or if they'll total the car and cut me a check (back to the car search)..

Thanks for the insight, I was wondering if it was all normal, or if I should switch insurance companies. (I have Geico)
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A body shop and an internal mechanic are two

very different trades and you normally don't want one working on the other. It's typical for a car that has had front end damage to have to see two shops to complete the work.