S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Doing some DE events, but do not want to go BBK.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing some DE events, but do not want to go BBK.

What rotors, pads and fluid would you recommend for a 3-5 event per year S4 that sees daily driving duties 9 months of the year? I know all of the benefits of the BBK on the track, I just do not want to invest that much into the S4 right now. I want to have fun at the track a couple of times a year, but keep the S4 mod bug under control. I would really like to hear from some that are doing DE events and have kept the stock brakes.

Thanks!
Pat
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Default id go w stock everything as stock brakes on our cars rock. if anything...

get a dedicated set of pads for the track. right now im running Hawk HP-Plus. they are damn good, but noisy for the street. most prefer the HPS for the street.

as for fluid, go w anything that supports DOT 3+. motul is preferred, but go w wildwood. it does the same thing and is significantly cheaper.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:37 AM

Default I was in your shoes 3 years ago...

Still haven't gone BBK, wish I did. I'm currently using slotted Zimmerman's, SS lines, Super-blue fluid, PBR pads on the street and Hawk at the track. Properly bed them. Remember to sand paper the rotors with garnet when you swap your pads.

They stop okay, I suppose. Initial bite on the track is fantastic...but I did say INITIAL. Though I have never had pronounced fade, they do loose a bit of stopping power by the end of the session. But when I get into a car running Stop Tech's or Alcon's...makes me want get them...consistent and confident stopping power. They can brake a good 30ft past me on 3rd gear braking zones,...but I hear you, they're mad expensive. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the feedback. Where do you get the garnet to sand the rotors?

You have done pretty much exactly what I am considering instead of the BBK. I know that I would love the BBK, but I am just torn about putting that much into my brakes for about 10 days per year. On the street the BBK is complete overkill and does not really improve the braking over stock. So, the question is whether 10 days is worth $2k?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default all you need is a good set of track pads and fresh brake fluid.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.raceshopper.com">http://www.raceshopper.com</a</li></ul>
Old 02-12-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Precisely why I didn't get them either...

You can pick it up at any Osh, HD, or Lowe's. Easy find.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 AM

2nd, but in the long run you're better off getting a BBK IMO. Call around, get Stoptech for under 2K
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I somewhat agree, but they will cook if he's an aggressive braker, unless the brakes are cooled

using ducts and hats, which is tough to do with SMIC's.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll be selling my StopTech332 soon....

Since I'm upgrading to Alcon 355. I was going to wait until after the snow season because I want to use my 17" snow tires (won't clear 355)....but I could be enticed to move faster if someone really needed them.

The would need new rotor rings ($500) but I would adjust price accordingly downward.

You could stick with OEM sized rotors (like DBA slotted) but, honestly, unless you stay with stock power and don't track more than 2x per year, you will toast your brakes.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default in a similar situation....decided on DBA rotors and Hawk HPS pads

I don't track the car, probably never will, and don't plan on DE either.

As much as I'd like a BBK, I can't justify it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing some DE events, but do not want to go BBK.