S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

The Worst Has Happened to My Baby..... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Worst Has Happened to My Baby..... :-(

So, Monday morning on my way to work (extremely cold day) the S starts to smoke a bit on startup. i think nothing of it since it is a cold day and continue to do my business as she warms up in the driveway. about 10 min later im off to work.. the WHOLE way she is spittin out an enormous amount of smoke and i think to myself this cannot be good. as time goes on i notice a blue tint in the smoke and i say this cannot be good. i come to a stop and the exhaust catches up to me and i smell the no-no smell... burning oil. NOOOOO. i hurry to work and shut her off as i pull into my parking spot but lo and behold the damage is done and i know this before i even check it out. i pop the hood to find smoke coming from the engine bay, but just a tad. i check the oil, doesnt even register and i changed the oil no more than 7 days before. BUT the dip stick did have trace of something and we all know what that was... a milky white substance.. great. i check the oil cap and there is even more. FINE be a PITA. long story short i get her towed to Winner Audi in Wilmington DE. after waiting for an hour for service to get my story written down and gimme the okay i leave. i get a call the next day stating "yes well our original hour of diagnostic time you approved is not enough. we need to do a drip test and compression test. i say to her "what am i gonna say, no? just do it (another 3 hrs of time she tells me)".

Christmas Eve
i get a voicemail from Audi and it goes a little something like this...
"Hi Ryan its audi... SO.... this is what we have found. the tubos are leaking oil into the exhaust (which i spent a ton of money to have upgraded to brand new K04's JUST over a year ago), the head gasket is blown, oil is leaking pretty bad into exhust as well as externally (never seen oil in my driveway or under belly so that im stumped about), left front tie rod is blown, left front control arm is blown, auxilary water pump is leaking bad (i have known this for a while and been meaning to replace), the timing belt is hanging by a thread (which was replaced two years ago with the entire kit), and the cam adjusters and valve cover gaskets are leaking into the enging compartment. ALL RIGTHT i thought it was gonna be a sinch! then she spits the grand total real quick at me.... an awesome $11,000.00!!! easy money, right? AND to top it all off, she ends the voicemail with, and i quote "Have a great and Merry Christmas." my next words were not very cheery.

i have called around and surprisingly Winner is the cheapest to do this kind of work. Ha!

Needless to say, i think the S is dead in my perspective. i can't afford that kind of money and who could justify putting that much money into her at one time (unless you race or are rich). i am very very sad on this day which is supposed to be happy and exciting for all, BUT i am healthy and with family so complaining can take me so far.

to sum it all up, i payed $400-$500 for someone to tell me my baby, my car which i loved, waxed, sang to sleep, and babied (but not as much as you think) is dead.

What is a guy to do now?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How many miles do you have? Where are you located
Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor

take it to another shop : )
Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You might want to get a second opinion.

Not sure how you could burn through that much oil, so you definitely have some issues. The white milky stuff is condensation from the cold weather. Perfectly normal. You also may have a frozen PCV valve and that would give you a nice smoke screen. A frozen breather could have caused you to blow a seal somewhere and that's where the burning oil smell under the hood is coming from.

I don't know...... just saying. It's kind of weird this all happened on startup and not after a WOT run or something. You clearly have oil going somewhere it shouldn't but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your turbos are blown (unless they removed your DPs and could see the hot section full of oil).
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

just over 109k. i am located South Jersey by Delaware Memorial Bridge
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry about your misfortune, especially since it's the holidays, but....

You took her to the dealership... were you expecting them not to milk you for everything you've got? Take it some place else.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You need a second opinion on that, bring it to another shop. Possibility of

moisture condensation in PCV system freezing in cold weather causing some blowby leading to massive smoke, happened to me once.

NEVER EVER trust an Audi dealership, I wouldn't believe a damn thing they diagnose.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM

GO TO ASP!!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what is ASP? I DEF plan on getting second opinion ASAP
Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL. Autospeed.....someone you need to go see.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.autospeed.us/">http://www.autospeed.us/</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: The Worst Has Happened to My Baby..... :-(