S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Being seduced by a V8

Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being seduced by a V8

This week I drove a 2004 S4 with V8 & stick. OHMIGOD! this thing pulls like a train. I had forgotten the joys of instant torque and winding out a V8 with a high rev limit. I have to say that the V8 is mighty tempting! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to buy it, even tho it is offered at a great price (under $15k, in near-perfect condition).

Both my sister and I have been out separately doing some Audi-shopping. I found this amazing black beauty V8 nearby in Yorktown Heights NY. It turns out to be really great B6 S4 with about 90,000 miles on it, yet it is in quite fantastic condition. Paint is near-perfect, as are the wheels. Plus it has a unique blue alcantra Recaro interior, which is such a great step up from my B5. It has been the well-kept and the owner keeps it spotless, washing it at least twice a week. Of course, it is black so needs washing to keep it sharp. But the interior is immaculate too. It has complete service records, and any problems have been attended to (front control arms, brakes, usual stuff). Other than an aftermarket exhaust, it has not been modded. Mostly, I was most impressed with the drive. Brakes are good, handling is crisp, tires have good tread.

So why didn't I buy the car? Well, my sister was quicker on the draw. She bought an Audi Q7 TDI. A lot more money, but a great trip car for both our families. Plus it has the towing package which is important for her. So I have to pass on the S4.

I figure it is really too nice a car to keep secret, so I thought I'd put the word out for anyone who wants a really great example of the B6 S4. Hope this helps someone. BTW, I have no connection to the seller, just met him for the first time this week, but I was very impressed with him as a committed enthusiast. In fact, he's selling his S4 to purchase a Lotus. It will be a great deal for someone, and I hope it goes to someone on this board.

Contact info: there's an ad on Craigslist http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/2941878073.html
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AnimuS'Avant
This week I drove a 2004 S4 with V8 & stick. OHMIGOD! this thing pulls like a train. I had forgotten the joys of instant torque and winding out a V8 with a high rev limit. I have to say that the V8 is mighty tempting! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to buy it, even tho it is offered at a great price (under $15k, in near-perfect condition).

Both my sister and I have been out separately doing some Audi-shopping. I found this amazing black beauty V8 nearby in Yorktown Heights NY. It turns out to be really great B6 S4 with about 90,000 miles on it, yet it is in quite fantastic condition. Paint is near-perfect, as are the wheels. Plus it has a unique blue alcantra Recaro interior, which is such a great step up from my B5. It has been the well-kept and the owner keeps it spotless, washing it at least twice a week. Of course, it is black so needs washing to keep it sharp. But the interior is immaculate too. It has complete service records, and any problems have been attended to (front control arms, brakes, usual stuff). Other than an aftermarket exhaust, it has not been modded. Mostly, I was most impressed with the drive. Brakes are good, handling is crisp, tires have good tread.

So why didn't I buy the car? Well, my sister was quicker on the draw. She bought an Audi Q7 TDI. A lot more money, but a great trip car for both our families. Plus it has the towing package which is important for her. So I have to pass on the S4.

I figure it is really too nice a car to keep secret, so I thought I'd put the word out for anyone who wants a really great example of the B6 S4. Hope this helps someone. BTW, I have no connection to the seller, just met him for the first time this week, but I was very impressed with him as a committed enthusiast. In fact, he's selling his S4 to purchase a Lotus. It will be a great deal for someone, and I hope it goes to someone on this board.

Contact info: there's an ad on Craigslist http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/2941878073.html
If you think the b6 pulls hard, drive the b5 s4 with k04s or chipped.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, but...

Originally Posted by rohit13
If you think the b6 pulls hard, drive the b5 s4 with k04s or chipped.
Of course, you're right. Except for the "instant torque" part. it still takes a pause before a K04 comes on the boil.

In fact, I took my first 2001 B5 S4 Avant to Stage III so I know what you mean. It was a brilliant car, but kinda fragile. With that much power various things would occasionally break, like engine mounts or center mount driveshaft bearings or rear axle bearings, etc. My need for speed is concentrated these days on a race car (a Nissan 370Z is my track car), so I'm a lot more relaxed about my street car.

So my needs have changed. My current B5 S4 Avant is practically stock -- just a chip & a tune. It's the third B5 I've owned. I've had it for 130,000 miles and have had zero non-maintenance repairs. 'Nuff said