S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Value of 2000 S4

Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of 2000 S4

New to the forum, but have had my 2000 S4 since new. I am trying to put a value on the car at this point. KBB looks terrible @ about $6500 full retail. I put $4,000 under the hood last year to fix all seals, new timing belt, etc and the car runs great. Color is silver with Onyx napa leather interior in very good shape, body has a couple of minor dings that i am planning to fix as well get the original wheels refurbished to original. 6 sp manual, of course and only 78K original miles. I don't drive more than average of 5k miles a year. I still love the car, but space limits and insurance cost are an issue, i am looking to add a new Abarth.

It's a very clean, one owner, best color combo, 6 sp, garaged since new, maintained very well and low miles. I can't see selling this car for less than double that KBB valuation @ $13,000. Is this fair?

sorry, i don't have pictures to post but I could do that after i get the wheels done and the car detailed.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm assuming you're in America?
Technically this is an international forum, although 75% of the members are American.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I doubt you will get $13k for a 14 year old used S4. I'd guess that going above $8k the chances of selling start to drop rapidly.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
I'm assuming you're in America?
Technically this is an international forum, although 75% of the members are American.
yes, sorry I am in the US in Northeast. Just got the car back from WheelAmerica and they were refinished to original and look great. Bad news on the value of the car. My Brother-In-Law has an old VW R32 (2004 model) and apparently a cult following on this car has driven values up into the mid-20's...go figure.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think the price you have in mind is that outrageous for a clean 1-owner 6sp with such low miles.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Value is like beauty, and that's in the eye of the beholder, or better put what someone is actually willing to pay. Not always the amount that we like, but like you note about the R32 there are those that surprise us in a happy way sometimes.

The used car market is a mess locally due to all the people trying to get in on the action of taking advantage of the continued bad economy and so many people looking to buy used, and all the questionable used dealers, wholesale guys, and private "flippers" are driving prices up on some, and down on others.

From your description you likely have way too much invested into your car to just let it go cheap unless your in need for the money quickly etc, but then again it also sounds like one of the better examples (very few cars actually qualify for the top levels of KBB even though many try lol) and being a overly well maintained low mileage car should get you top dollar (whatever that may be in your area etc).

The problem as I see it on B5 A4 models in particular is that they are valued much higher by the owners than by the used car guides, and I have seen several in all kinds of condition priced above retail (yes even the ones that need more investment in service than they are worth) but they all share one other common thing in that they sit without being sold for a long time or until they are either repaired or the price lowered.

One simple thing I do before choosing a price to ask after checking the used car guides is to ask myself "what would I pay for it" and then compare to the current competition of similar models so that I can have a fair gauge of the market as well.

Now that all said I think your going to find it hard to get double retail, and except for the unusual times like with the R32 etc it is normally going to be hard to get full retail due to the different things a dealer (who is using the guide and sale to make profit) offers that a private seller does not, but if your car is in general matching the investment you made in the wheels etc it could be the exact one that somebody has been searching for as opposed to the typical needing repair high mileage cars that are more common, and they would likely pay a real premium for the right car.

How many people are actually looking for a car in the condition of yours? How many of that group would be willing to pay above retail? etc etc can only be found by putting it up and seeing what response you get.

I often think people listing over list (double is even worse lol) are a little in love with their cars, or really greedy dealers trying to make a killing, but can't hurt to try, but just be prepared to pull the listings for a little and relist at a lower price later when the listings can be fresh again.

I have been looking for a clean A4 (or A6) for a fair price for a while now, and though not really wanting a S4 (due to the fact I will be piling on lots of miles and would rather not abuse a S or have to worry about the reduced MPG) and will consider paying more for a clean low mileage one owner car that doesn't need immediate service etc but double retail is not even a possibility.

One of the biggest obstacles I think your going to face once you get above 7K is that your now into a price range that some of the much newer model years are in, and being newer it is not hard to be in that 70K mileage range, and most buyers are going to opt for the newer model unless they are for some reason obsessed with finding a 2000 S4 etc/

One last thought is that when I have been in your position I have more than once decided to just use it a while longer putting on some miles to help justify the reduced selling price by my getting to use it more and the value of that use.