S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Transmission Choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Choices

If all goes well I will close on a house this week and will finally have a garage all to myself. The first big job on the list is working on the transmission. I've done a bit of searching and I want to get some more opinions/ideas. What are the choices out there for a transmission rebuilt or swap? I'm talking 6spd obviously.

1 - Any info on the eurospec hardened transmissions
2 - Who does the tranny rebuild
3 - Thoughts on the differential upgrade 4:1 I believe

TIA
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

shameless bump
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd give some consideration to the JHM kit with the higher speed 6th gear if I were needing to do a transmission rebuild. They've got a DVD for the DIY work, though I haven't watched it to be able to say anything about the quality. I've heard the RS4 transmission is another option, though I don't know how much or where you'd get one.

I'd also do the 4:1 center diff since it is relatively inexpensive. I'm planning on keeping my car for a while so I'm not as concerned about costs of things that improve the car and increase the longevity.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto. In the same situation - just waiting for the cash, but Flyboy said it all.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What's this I've heard about a guy named Kluge/Klugg that sells or rebuilds eurospec trannies?

I also thought someone mentioned a company in another thread (but I can't dig it up) where you can send them your tranny and they will rebuild it and send it back for 1,500 bucks.

Anyone have any info on either of those?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by donromani
What's this I've heard about a guy named Kluge/Klugg that sells or rebuilds eurospec trannies?

I also thought someone mentioned a company in another thread (but I can't dig it up) where you can send them your tranny and they will rebuild it and send it back for 1,500 bucks.

Anyone have any info on either of those?
I had the tranny rebuilt by Kluge, it suppose to have stronger main shaft and flexible as well, the gear is same as US OEM S4 tranny, however, this transmission has oil pump (euro spec S4), you can hook up to external oil cooler or by pass them, I just do the by pass. From what I know this tranny can have wider first gear and close ratio can be built. I had this tranny over 70k miles with alot of hard launch, and the only things I really broke was center torsen, but I replace that center torsen with Stasis 4:1 torsen.

As for RS4, tranny, they had closer gear ratio for 3rd/4th gear, the physical tranny a little longer then the S4 tranny, you will need to remove the ring between the engine and tranny to make it fit. it also had oil pump as well.

There are TDI version 01E I believe it fit the S4 too, but you need to call up Advance Automation and ask them, since I never deal with them so I can't comments on it, but they carry used tranny for decent price

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/in...7919ec31e1ac16
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Shameful!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey haven't seen you two in a while!

XCCESS - I did a search for Kluge but came up empty. What's the name of his company, or how do I get in touch with him?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check out Scott/advance automotion too.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I second that!! im going to be getting my trans soon from him since i started making money again...

Quick Reply: Transmission Choices