S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Those running with a LW flywheel - impressions/help? >>

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those running with a LW flywheel - impressions/help? >>

Post below got me thinking. In an E36 M3 the LWFW created some real driveability compromise (and there was endless debate about reliability).

Is this less of an issue with the S4. I am going stage III in the next few weeks. I never even considered a flywheel.

Should I reconsider this - how do you rate it in terms of:
1. daily driveability
2. bang for the buck
3. NVH etc.

thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is what it is...

do it or don't. I don't think its going to make a big enough difference either way for you to even know or care at stage 3. Personally, I can think of a hundred things I'd rather spend $800 on instead of a LWFW.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I have one and love it. Rev matching is much easier. It helps keep the boost up between shifts...

and it just revs faster. You might get a little chatter though. A LWFW with an RS4 clutch seems to be the medicine!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i don't understand the chatter thing. i had one on my VW and SVT came with one. no chatter
Old 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the opinion - that's were i have come out.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know how much a stage 3 costs...

and personally based on the cost/benefit of the LWFW, it isn't a MUST HAVE by any stretch of the imagination. A resurfaced stock flywheel will do the trick. Just make sure the flywheel is rebalanced after it is resurfaced.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ditto. there's chatter below 2k RPMs, but rev matching is indeed easier

and acceleration is much better! it makes a huge difference on a stock (engine) S. for stage 3? i agree with badmoonrising. you wouldn't notice it.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:25 AM

Default agreed, and the chatter isnt bad. at all. to be in 1500 rpm range and high load is silly

and hearing the chatter is a reminder that you should be in a different gear.

lwfw is one of the best mods i have done. rev matching is effortless. and if you go with rs4 clutch, the driveability will be least effected than if you went with......say a 6 puck clutch, which i do not reccomend unless you need the grabbing force for the track. which i dont.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow a hundred things....like what?? btw, how's the car coming along? i think that

mine is next in line or that was at least the word this morning. still not sure what the final out come would be with the rs4 stuff with software.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Y pipe, hoses, and injectors are arriving today...

everything should be on the car next tuesday. I'm getting a little impatient...was on the verge of parting the car and selling it on monday (was a bad car day). Otherwise all the parts are just sitting on my dining table. I'll take a picture of it for the yokels here when everything is here. I was thinking of porting the inlet of the manifold then polishing that and the Y pipe...but I've been really busy lately so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to do it. Maybe that'll be a good project to work on memorial day. And I never thought I'd be saying this but those charge pipes are a thing of beauty...probably not worth $419 a pop but they're pretty impressive nonetheless

Quick Reply: Those running with a LW flywheel - impressions/help? >>