S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thinking of moving into a 997 C4S with PASM, sport exhaust... any feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deals

Thanks, those are pretty good deals, but they are all older than I wanna buy... the 03 is interesting, I don't wanna go older than 04.

One reason to upgrade is not to worry about maintenance, and a 01 Porsche could be another B5 S4 with more expensive parts!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi_in_Van
I am from Vancouver, 2hrs drive up north from Seattle! so, pretty much exact weather!

What C2 did u have? 996/997?
I had a 996.

FYI, lower mileage 996TT's are going for low to mid $40k all day long. They are more sorted out than the 4S and a dramatic boost to torque and overall acceleration.

For me, the 2004-2005 996 4S is hard to beat in looks and that's where I'm headed next(not really for that reason). To me they ruined the back side of the 4S in the 997 version. The 996 4S has the back end similar to the awesome 993's. The 04-05's have revamped interior similar to something you'd see in a 997. Have that sweet backside, too. Still have the less appealing headlights but I don't give a rip.

More important than all of that is I am buying a well balanced car that will be solid fun to drive. I don't care much about looks... if I did I wouldn't own a B5S4 and a Honda RC-51... both are vehicles that aren't as flash and pretty as others in the class. I also wouldn't be buying a 911 for looks either... neat cars, but not the best looking thing out their for the money. But I appreciate the German engineering. Helps that I'm German, and that my family works in Stuttgart.

Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-24-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I had a 996.

FYI, lower mileage 996TT's are going for low to mid $40k all day long. They are more sorted out than the 4S and a dramatic boost to torque and overall acceleration.

For me, the 2004-2005 996 4S is hard to beat in looks and that's where I'm headed next(not really for that reason). To me they ruined the back side of the 4S in the 997 version. The 996 4S has the back end similar to the awesome 993's. The 04-05's have revamped interior similar to something you'd see in a 997. Have that sweet backside, too. Still have the less appealing headlights but I don't give a rip.

More important than all of that is I am buying a well balanced car that will be solid fun to drive. I don't care much about looks... if I did I wouldn't own a B5S4 and a Honda RC-51... both are vehicles that aren't as flash and pretty as others in the class. I also wouldn't be buying a 911 for looks either... neat cars, but not the best looking thing out their for the money. But I appreciate the German engineering. Helps that I'm German, and that my family works in Stuttgart.
04-05 interior is the same as 997? Are you sure? Is there a 04.5? Cause I've seen a few 04s and they all had the older interior. If the 04-05 had the new interior I'd definately consider it.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was careful with my wording to not say it's the same. But it was updated in those years to look more modern.

I kind of like my friends '96 993's interior, bare! Just drive and enjoy.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was careful with my wording to not say it's the same. But it was updated in those years to look more modern.

I kind of like my friends '96 993's interior, bare! Just drive and enjoy.
Hehe... maybe, but I still like luxury and modern look. I think I'd stick with 997, like the warranty too

Interestingly, I pulled in front of a 996 last night, and he was FAST, while I was flat out, he was gaining on me, ever so slightly... we did a pull from around 60-110 MPH, I think he was either faster, or more aggressive with throttle at lower speeds. Like he was gaining on me when I was between 60-80 MPH, and I was slightly pulling away over 80 MPH... I was not sure what car it was until I took the exit, it was either 996 C4S, or 996 Turbo... had the big wing on the back, with the turbo/C4S bumper, it was too dark, so I am not 100% sure. From the speed must have been C4S.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

warranty is def a big deal with these cars
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you need back seats then the 997 will give you that. you may also want to consider a Cayman or Cayman S. Great car razor sharp handling. On the Alcantara wheel, I've heard some owners complain that the alcantara gets worn fairly quickly. Might need to replace the wheel in 2- three yrs according to some. PASM is pretty cool, it works pretty much as described and adjusts automatically. There is a noticeable firming up when placed in Sport mode. I would at least test drive a Cayman if you can. A lot of guys who track their cars like the Pasm as it offers adjustability which reg Coil-over suspension doesn't. The 997 should be better than the Rs4 in the twisties fwiw. The sport seats in the p-cars are very nice. youll like them for the track. Sport chrono will make the pedal throttle response sharper, making it easier to heel/toe.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PKmode
warranty is def a big deal with these cars

Perhaps, I never had a problem with mine that I couldn't fix quickly and cheaply by myself.

Also you can buy one a few years older for what, $10k-$20k less? Then buy a full warranty for $3000 from a reputible company or get a CPO warranty for a smidge more.

Then again, I DO drive a 2000 S4 with 120,000 miles without a warranty, so I must like living on the edge of gigantic repair bills. I'm sure the turbo's will fry a week before I sell it.

Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-25-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Then again, I DO drive a 2000 S4 with 120,000 miles without a warranty, so I must like living on the edge of gigantic repair bills. I'm sure the turbo's will fry a week before I sell it.
This sums it all well!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DriveS4spd
If you need back seats then the 997 will give you that. you may also want to consider a Cayman or Cayman S. Great car razor sharp handling. On the Alcantara wheel, I've heard some owners complain that the alcantara gets worn fairly quickly. Might need to replace the wheel in 2- three yrs according to some. PASM is pretty cool, it works pretty much as described and adjusts automatically. There is a noticeable firming up when placed in Sport mode. I would at least test drive a Cayman if you can. A lot of guys who track their cars like the Pasm as it offers adjustability which reg Coil-over suspension doesn't. The 997 should be better than the Rs4 in the twisties fwiw. The sport seats in the p-cars are very nice. youll like them for the track. Sport chrono will make the pedal throttle response sharper, making it easier to heel/toe.
Cayman is great handling, no doubt... I just like to have a bit room (rear seats - for quick storage), more power, AWD would be great when we get a bit of snow, and just the fact that cayman is UNDER-engineered kind of pisses me off... I also don't wanna be labeled as driving the poor man's porsche!

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving into a 997 C4S with PASM, sport exhaust... any feedback?