S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Test Drove a Mazda Speed3

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM
LJH
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove a Mazda Speed3

So I am in the process of looking for a new company car.....right now I am driving a Kia Sedona Minivan a.k.a. the SSMV (Super S^%$^* Mini Van) and I really have to say it is one of the worse vehichles I have ever driven. Anyhow I am the next sales guy in line for a new vehichle so I am starting to do my home work. Looking at the GTI 4 door, WRX 5 door, Mini Cooper S (way to small), and now the Speed 3. I have driven the GTI, nice car and nicely appointed but but was missing the edge I though it would have, mind you I drove the car for like 10 mins max. Yesterday on my way home from seeing customers I stopped by the Mazda dealer to take a look at the Speed3. I have to say I was quite impressed especially when the base price is right around $22K and they will discount a bit off of that. The motor was super flexable, Started off in 3rd by accident and it pulled out without to much hesitation. The quality of the interior was not bad either, not up to VW standard but not bad. I still have not driven the WRX but I find the interior pretty shoddy (is that a word), and since I will be spending a lot of time in the car I am not sure I could live with it.

For the Manditory Audi content I will say that I do not have to fear the Speed3 even in my lowly stage I B5 S4...just something about the torque delivery in the S4 that always brings a smile to my face.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A MazdaSpeed3 would be a SWEET company car. Go for it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The MS3 has a nice bump up in hp with mazdaspeed intake and exhaust. Combined

with a lower weight puts the power/weight ratio in respectable territory. I was also impressed at the cumulative number of mods that could be purchased for under $5k.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
LJH
AudiWorld Member

Being a company car no mods will be done...well maybe Auto-X tires..don't tell the boss man
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
LJH
AudiWorld Member

Default The price is in the budget

and with the rear seats folded there is a bucket load of room in the back. If I stay out of the boost (hmmm...maybe not) it should get quite a bit better gas milage then the SSMV...And I can seel it to the boss man by telling him I can see more customers a day :-).

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM

I get 28 mixed driving if I short shift my MS3. It is a blast at the track, even stock.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ha, just went to test drive one yesterday and was DENIED!!!

That's right, rolled up in the S4, GM saw me get out and was in nice suit. Spoke w/ salesman for about 20 minutes and mentioned i was between a couple cars and i was looking to make a decision very soon. At any rate, salesman had to get approval from the GM and of course GM said, no, unless you sign deal now before you drive that you will buy it. WTF, stupid car dealerships...heard it was a fun car though....
Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same thing happened to me when I tried to test drive an IS-F.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM
LJH
AudiWorld Member

Default I am sure being old helped me out.....

So I am 40 and bald.....not to mention on the test drive the salesman, who by the way did not know much about the car, said I was the first person to walk through the door all day...I would put a bullet in my head if I was that slow at work. Anyhow got to drive it for 20 mins or so. Salesman was impressed when I heel/toed on a down shift and asked me how I did that. If anyone is interested the Mazda Dealer in Stamford CT has a left over '07 with the touring package and Nav for $21K. The company I work for ends its fiscal year on 6/31 so I have to wait till the new budget is in play 7/1 before I can sign any papers.

That is BS that you could not drive the car till you signed....I would have walked right out and sent a letter to the GM as soon as I got home. How do you know you want to buy a car till you get to drive it...they are not good sales people.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got a female friend who was looking at a BMW when she was bit younger...

probably mid twenties or so. The salesman and sales manager treated her terribly- wouldn't let her drive any cars, sit in them, etc. and talked down to her. Finally they asked what her current car was and she told them it was a 67 VW bug at which point they completely blew her off.

She walked back out to her early 90's Mercedes 500SL (was almost brand new at the time and probably cost $80K) and honked and waved as she drove away. Needless to say- she will never shop at that BMW dealer, nor will any of her family, and they purchase a lot of cars.

Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover. Her family had many millions of dollars and that dealer lost multiple sales or potential sale by that one mistake.

If I were you I would do as LJH said and write a letter to the owner/manager of the dealership and tell them of your treatment. It's hard to believe in this economy that they wouldn't want a potential sale.

Quick Reply: Test Drove a Mazda Speed3