S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stolen S4 recovered in VA

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen S4 recovered in VA

As I posted in another thread, my 2000 S4 was stolen in Arlington, VA 2 weeks ago. I got a call from the Manassas VA (35 miles away) police department last night that the car was found alongside a road. They had it towed, and I haven't had an opportunity to see it yet.

But I don't even need to see the car to know that this outcome blows. I would have much rather just gotten the insurance money. I have taken pretty good care of this car over the years - original owner, 106k miles, always Mobil 1, never even chipped (!), never abused. Now in 2 weeks some jackass probably undid all of that - thrashed the engine at a low oil temp, abused the clutch, shut the engine down with red-hot turbos, etc. And now I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Not to mention the general creepiness of knowing some scumbag drove my car for 2 weeks and I don't know what he did in it. At least the insurance company will pay to have the car cleaned and detailed.

So here's what the insurance company says - have it towed to a garage (of my choice) and have them look it over for damage. They (the insurance co) are the ones who get to decide if any damage is due to the theft or not. There are some "pre-existing conditions" I'd be happy to fess up to (CD player was broken, dead pixels in the dash readout, some dings and scratches), but my fear is that the true damage will not be uncovered or admitted to by the insurance company.

So where should I have it towed? My first thought is the dealer (pricey, but cost is no object since insurance covers it) even though I've had some bad experiences with the local dealer (Audi of Alexandria). I also thought about Induktion motorsports up in Maryland, or Curry's in Chantilly VA, both of them have done some work on the car in the past. Who would know best what to look for?

And what should I ask the mechanic to look at, aside from the obvious? E.g. go as far as performing compression tests? Test for boost leaks? Is there a way to identify turbo damage? Clutch wear?

Appreciate any opinions.

Dammit. After a couple of days went by, I really hoped the car wouldn't turn up. I have a strong feeling I'm going to be screwed royally by this whole episode.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd say this is a good outcome and you should be happy about it. I don't know what the insurance company was offering, but they typically don't pay out what you'd expect.

I know it's creepy having some guy drive around in your car, but think about it like this: I bought my car used with 90k on it which means that for the vast majority of its lifespan my car has been in some other guys hands. His assgroove is still in the driver's seat. Some ******* had your car for 2 weeks, his stink will wear off soon enough.

Also, props on taking care of your car all these years, but I don't think you should worry too much about extensive damage to the turbos, clutch and so on from a two weeks of potentially hard driving. These cars are built to take some punishment. Change all your fluids, give it a good check-up and the internal damage should be minimal. I would be more concerned about body damage and so forth.

On the plus side, you have to assume that a guy driving around in a stolen car is trying not to get caught, so maybe he's less likely to drive like a lunatic than a guy in a non-stolen car...

Anyway, I hope everything comes out in your favor man. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There was strait up no "damage"?

To be honest, I doubt the car was driving around drivin around for 2 weeks. It was probabaly just drive three or 4 times. Once when stolen, once when picking up drugs, once for a drive by, and once when the droped it off. (the last could be combined with the third) I'm joking, but yes it really does suck.

Your ignition will be stripped. You'll (99% chance) you'll have a small hole in the drivers door from a screw driver being forced in along side the locking mechanism. I would be supprised if the headlights were still in the car.

Your drivers door will need a respray from that. If your headlights are gone, they took the balasts and probably tore out the wiring harness with them. If there is some more damage to this. Make sure any cracking on the bumper from bottoming out is is repaired, along with possible damage to oil pan, skid pan, ect.

2k for all that head light jazz 2-3 hours for the install. (If insurance is getting OEM)

You should try and get Ecodes if they are gone, thats what I did.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. I would take it to the dealer and have it looked over by their mechanic, just for piece of mind. I agree that it was probably not driven as insanely as you might imagine.

I'm sure the police already did this, but search the car well for any drugs or paraphenalia. That's usually why cars are stolen and then abandoned, aside for simple joy rides (which I doubt if it was 2 weeks missing). Sorry to creep you out even more, but it something to think about...you wouldn't want to explain to a cop why there is a crack pipe under your seat one day
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
There was strait up no "damage"?

To be honest, I doubt the car was driving around drivin around for 2 weeks. It was probabaly just drive three or 4 times. Once when stolen, once when picking up drugs, once for a drive by, and once when the droped it off. (the last could be combined with the third) I'm joking, but yes it really does suck.

Your ignition will be stripped. You'll (99% chance) you'll have a small hole in the drivers door from a screw driver being forced in along side the locking mechanism. I would be supprised if the headlights were still in the car.

Your drivers door will need a respray from that. If your headlights are gone, they took the balasts and probably tore out the wiring harness with them. If there is some more damage to this. Make sure any cracking on the bumper from bottoming out is is repaired, along with possible damage to oil pan, skid pan, ect.

2k for all that head light jazz 2-3 hours for the install. (If insurance is getting OEM)

You should try and get Ecodes if they are gone, thats what I did.
Dude, how do you know all of this ****?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So sorry to hear your story on many fronts

I'm in NoVa as well with almost the same car - bought new, babied, Mobil 1, etc. and to hear that yours was stolen just sucks. I agree w. donromani's post though - 2 weeks can not undo all the TLC you have given over the years. The not knowing will probably be tough as your car starts to have normal age/wear issues - you will likely wonder if they would have come later if there were not a gap in your ownership.

Whatever the insurance company would have paid out on a total loss would have put you back in car payments on something new or into a used car where you have no idea just how well the car has been maintained (some of those caveat emptor thread where guys feel lied to are even more scary than your nightmare). Good luck, I hope the love for your car comes back with a really good detail and a couple hundred miles.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate the comments. In my frustration I'll agree I've been overly pessimistic about the outcome. I might just get my car back in the same condition it was stolen, plus a nice detailing job.

Spoke to the local dealer and made arrangements to have the car delivered for a theft recovery lookover this afternoon. Anxious to get a look at it and see if there is any visible damage.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HokieS4
As I posted in another thread, my 2000 S4 was stolen in Arlington, VA 2 weeks ago. I got a call from the Manassas VA (35 miles away) police department last night that the car was found alongside a road. They had it towed, and I haven't had an opportunity to see it yet.
I'm guessing you didn't have a tracking system like LoJack installed. Might be something to consider in future. Good luck with getting it repaired.

Rory
Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had my Accord stolen in Arlington a number of years ago and it was found less than 24 hours later. The thieves stole it for the wheels and when it was recovered it was sitting on it's brakes behind that real ghetto supermarket on Columbia Pike towards 395. Damage was minimal, however the towing company didn't bother to put the car on dollies, they just dragged it straight up on the flatbed. I wasn't there to witness or stop this...as I had to go out of town that same day for work. When it went from impound to the dealer, same thing...no dollies, they just dragged it. Again, I just assumed they'd put it on dollies, but as I was standing in the dealership parking lot awaiting it's arrival, sure enough, still chilling on it's rotors! As the driver was letting it down at the dealership, it got hung up on something on the bed and driver starting kicking the side of the truck (to shake it loose I guess) while the winch continued to unwind. Well the car finally started moving, but there was so much slack in the line, the car skidded right off the back into a chainlink fence! It was surreal, I was standing there with the service manager watching it happen and his jaw just hit the floor. It was a complete disaster, but honestly, it all worked out in the end. I was uber picky about the work that was done and the car came back fine. When I traded the car 3 years later, I hadn't had an issue with it...even the Carfax came up clean! Good luck dude - I feel your pain. It will all work out, though, and hopefully you got a chuckle out of my saga.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HokieS4
...So where should I have it towed?
Hey Hokie

That sucks. I can only imagine how pissed I would be....

Not sure if the places listed does any of this or if there are any in your area, but have a look at the speedshop listing on VAGLinks (my sig), I have some shops listed by state etc.

Good luck

Cheers
Massboykie

Quick Reply: Stolen S4 recovered in VA